Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with a Stephanotis

Posted by beetle_2007 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 15:08

Hi Everyone,
I have a Stephanotis plant that stayed outside all summer. I believe it has set flowers, and my question is When do I bring it inside, and under what conditions? [what light does it need, and temps] Really appreciate some help with this lovely plant :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with a Stephanotis

Hi Beetle. Congrats on the flowers..I thought Stephanotis only bloomed in spring..hmm.

Place in very bright light. Preferably cooler temps. Cooler meaning under 70F, but no lower than 60F. Especially since it's been outdoors. Also, adapting would probably be a good idea. A little less light per day until it's ready to be brought in for winter.

Hope someone has an answer whether or not you should fertilize. Got my Steph in 1989, but it's never bloomed, lol, so don't want to give advice whether or not fertilizer should be used when in bud, or this time of year.

Is your Steph green or variegated? Toni

o

Hi Toni :)

Thanks, [they are little nubs at quite a few nodes, so I hope they are flowers! LOL) I'll try for a pic of some . Thanks so much for the advice, and I will try to keep it a tad cooler.

Its just a regular solid green Steph, almost looks like a Hoya.

o

Took a few pics of her :
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

These lil nubbins are all over the plant :) [at least eight or so sets] Thanks for looking :)

o

NUBBINS. <3
Definitely looks like flower nodes.
Also, it's a very pretty plant you have. :)

o

Beetle, wow, your Steph is very pretty. And yes, the little nubs are buds.

Did your bring your Steph indoors because of weather or another reason? Is it too cold there?

Perhaps you should have left it in the same spot until buds opened???? Toni

o

Thanks so much! ,Yup, it is dropping to about 4C, so I figured not to risk frost. Its in a cool, bright spot right now, and I may stick it under some florescent light [in a northern, cool room. Hopefully the flower buds won't blast :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here