Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a plant for my basement

Posted by mel_10 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 15:14

I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a plant for me. I am trying to find a plant that would grow well in a partial daylight basement. The room stays on the cool side, probably only around 65-70 during the summer. There is also a woodstove in the room so it will get warmer in the winter. There is a large west facing picture window that will provide about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight, otherwise it will be in dim indirect sunlight all day. Does anyone know of a pretty plant that would be tolerant of these conditions? My plant room upstairs is becoming too crowded and I'd like to add some greenery to the downstairs. Thanks so much!

Mel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a plant for my basement

Cast iron plant, Aspidistra elatior
Mother-in-law tongue plant, Sansevieria trifasciata
Chinese Evergreen, Aglaonema
ZZ plant, Zamioculcas zamiifolia - will do better with more light

With the lower temps you will water much less so be aware of that and fungus gnats.

You might also search this forum on low light or similar words.

o

Thanks for the ideas, Blue. I will definitely do a search for more.

Mel

o

I think Blue's given you a GREAT list to start.

I'll back it up w/ experience I've had w/ some of these:

both Sans. & ZZ plants grow in low to medium light in my apmt & do well.

Aglaonema, I stuck in a dark corner IN WATER IN A VASE, does great, I had it several years like that. I've just now cut off its old roots to restart new ones. This one has never been in soil, just water w a bit of aquarium grade charcoal, available at the pet stores (so the water doesn't get yucky w/ algae).

o

San. will not do well, they need more light to grow, most are desert brush plants, expecially the one that is mentioned. 'Parva' grows next to Victory Falls, other grow on rocky/mountain hills sides, in volcanic rock, etc. Business have them growing in full sun here in my Valley. They do not grow in basements. Mine gets full sun all day long.

o

Hi Norma,

"There is a large west facing picture window that will provide about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight, otherwise it will be in dim indirect sunlight all day."

This is from the opening thread, did you see "2-3 hrs. direct light"; pls. note NOT a dark basement; I think she'd be OK to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here