Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curly Ferns

Posted by dawnginn 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 15:20

I was at a local nursery today and came across a curly fern. It looks just like a boston fern but the leaves are curly. I never heard of this before but I had to buy it. It's so cute!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curly Ferns

Hi Dawn, Do you have a pic of your new fern? How curly is it? It's not a fluffy Ruffle is it? Though these ferns don't resemble Bostons. Have a pic? Toni

o

Hi Toni, The name of the plant is Nephrolepis Emina. The tag said "Curly Boston Fern" but some people call it Jester's Hat Fern. It grows upright and is a cousin to the Fluffy Ruffle. Here are some pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curly Fern

o

Dawn, what a beautiful fern..never seen anything like it before..No wonder you came home w/a new plant..lol..I'd have done the same..
Which window will you keep in winter? What about humidity? Is it high, med, low humidity? It's really gorgeous..Toni

o

Toni, I'm going to assume it is probably high humidity although, I couldn't find any care information. I am going to try a north window and if it doesn't do well then I will move it to an east window. This is going to be a trial and error plant I'm sure. I just hope it does well.
Dawn

o

Dawn, I hope it works..It's a truly amazing fern.
I keep my 3 ferns in a north window and so far so good. In winter they sit on humidity trays. Daily misting, of course. And once a wk, (they're in the kitchen,) each are brought to sink and hosed off.
If you've a bright north it should do, but an east window will definatly be enough light. Not too bright nor dark.
Is your room heated? That's the problem w/winter and ferns..HEAT..lol..especially gas heat. It's way too dry.
Have you tried a search on Google? I guess that site is frequently used when an unknown plant cannot be ID'd from ppl here on GW..
Speaking of humidity, and this is just my opinion..I believe thicker-leaf ferns don't need as much humidity as thinner leaves. I'm not saying they don't require humidity, because I've yet to see a fern that doesn't..But it seems like some ferns w/thin leaved dry 2 days after they're brought home. I wish you the best of luck..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here