Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_sunshine

Whak Kind of Grass-Like Plant is This?

LA_Sunshine
10 years ago

It came as part of an orchid arrangement. The blades are grass-like thin, but feel a bit stiffer.

The orchids just finished blooming (they bloomed for almost 4 months!), so I re-potted them. Does it look like I need to re-pot this guy, or should I leave him alone for now? It is sprouting new leaves, so I guess it's not completely unhappy.

Right now it's in regular soil (looks like it) mixed with some perlite. I wait for it to dry a bit, so I end up watering every 3 weeks or so.

Thank you!

Comments (19)

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture...

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more...

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more picture...

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

LA, I'm not certain, but it could be Cordyline...Toni

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Or it could be some kind of palm?

• JasonSong336
    10 years ago

It looks like a cymbidium orchid

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

Yes it does look like a cymbidium orchid

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! So, it looks like I either have a (future) tree on my hands, or yet another orchid!

Either of these possibilities is rather exciting. If it's another orchid, it's a little strange that they stuck it in the pot when it wasn't blooming, but I guess stranger things have happened. The rest of the arrangement included two phals, and a small succulent.

I'll re-post the pictures in the orchid forum, to make sure I re-pot it in the right soil :)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

My betting would be on Cymbidium orchid. Those pseudobulbs just scream out Cymbidium!

• subtropix
    10 years ago

Cymbidium. One of my favs among the orchids. They need a distinct COOL season to help encourage flowering--so, NOT, hothouse orchids by any means! Pretty easy otherwise.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

LA...If your plant is an Orchid, it probably bloomed when first put together.
    What is strange is the fact they added a succulent.

These arrangements are designed by people who know nothing about plants.

Don't know about CA, but the arrangements here are expensive and plants don't do well together.
    Tropical and succulent combo.
    Different needs...you know?

Heck, I'm not an Orchid expert, but I believe Cymbidium and Phalaenopsis have different requirements. Toni

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it looks like it is an orchid!

Toni, why they added a succulent will remain a mystery forever :) I do believe it's a small jade plant, but I might post on the succulent forum to make sure, as none of the plants had labels.

But, I think I got a good deal - for $34 I got two healthy phals (one with a double spike), a small succulent, and a cymbidium orchid. And all of that came in a very pretty ceramic pot.

The attached picture shows the arrangement when it first arrived :)

• subtropix
    10 years ago

cymbidiums are great for those 'three season' or 'Florida rooms'--as long as not frigid phalenopsis too is a great genus of orchids--probably the best. One caveat, do not expose the Phalenopsis to direct sun, they will burn regardless of the season.

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds great! Right now, they all live about 3 feet away from a huge window - lots of natural light, but no direct sunlight.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Ok, this one I know. The little succulent is a portulacaria.

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ficuswrangler! I looked it up, and it says that this variety can be trained to become a bonsai tree. Very cool :)

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is a better picture of the portulacaria :)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

P afra grows fast and the trunk fattens rather quickly. Stick with the all green one if you're thinking about bonsai. The variegated plant lacks the vigor of it's all green counterpart, and doesn't make a very convincing bonsai. I'm working on several P afras as bonsai specimens now.

This one is about 10 years old or so from a cutting:
    {{gwi:3241}}

Al

• LA_Sunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tapla, your bonsai is absolutely stunning!