Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiddleleaf Fig got scorched!

Posted by oneleaf OR (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 15:35

I learned the hard way this weekend that the Fiddleleaf Fig does not like direct sun!

I normally have the plant at an East facing window but once in awhile, take it out to the south facing patio to do a thorough watering and let it get a bit of sun in a shaded corner. It was a cloudy day so I did not worry about it and left it out for the afternoon as I went out to run errands. Came back 3 hours later and the sun was in full force. 3 of the leaves got completed brown and curled. I cut them off with sterilized scissors. Many other leaves have brown spots and one is quite brown and curling.

Will the plant survive this OK? Will the brown spots clear up or are these leaves doomed? Any special attention I should pay to it in the coming week or two?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiddleleaf Fig got scorched!

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 17:53

If the plant is in good health & was growing well, it should do fine. Actually, in your neighborhood, August should be the month when its vitality peaks. That statement is not a guarantee that all is necessarily well, only that given a healthy tree, your tree prolly has more energy reserves in late August than at any other point in the growth cycle. If the tree is stressed/struggling, it puts a different face on the prognosis and speed of recovery.

No matter the cause, the brown spots will not mend themselves. The only way to rid the plant of unsightly foliage is to remove it. If the plant has sufficient energy reserves, and isn't too root-bound, it will replace the leaves you remove.

It doesn't require any special attention, other than your diligence in trying to provide the most favorable cultural conditions you can.

Good luck.

Al

o
RE: Fiddleleaf Fig got scorched!

Thanks Al,
I did remove the unsightly leaves. The ones that are slightly burned look good enough to keep. I can't say whether the plant was healthy or not other as it was purchased only 2 weeks ago. I can say that it was doing better than it was the day we bought it (until it got scorched!). I guess we will see! I might cut a few more leaves off now that I know the brown spots are permanent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here