Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Amorphophallus konjac

larry_b
11 years ago

These are all great photos!

Here are a couple of photos of my Amorphophallus konjac or Voodoo plant. I don't put most of my plants outside because of pests, but this one won't do well unless I do. Also it never comes inside with it's foliage. It's turning a little brown now because it is nearing September and its dormancy period. Soon it will die back and I will bring it in.

It is a fairly juvenal and will not bloom yet. You can see that it has already produced some pups.

I used to have a huge Amorphophallus konjac, but it was too big according to my wife and I got rid of it. The bulb was the size of both of my fists put together. It stood 5 feet tall and was massive. I really regret having done that because now we have a place for it. I'll just have to wait until these little ones get bigger.

{{gwi:99124}}

{{gwi:99125}}

Comments (31)

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops! I meant to put is in the other thread. Anyway it's here now. lol

Larry

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Larry

It's looking great. How much sun does it get? I have some, but don't think it's konjac. It is even younger than yours. Original was about 7yrs old when I froze the bulb, so now I have just really juveniles. There is 8 in this pot, have another pot with 2 more.
    I keep it outside, in mostly shaded area.

Rina

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rina,

Thanks! It is on the north side of the front yard and gets some of the morning sun until the sun is past due east. I have had it in full sun before but it gets a little ratty. I live in Denver and the sun is very bright here due to the thin air of the mile high altitude. At sea level I think it would do well in full sun.

Yours my be small, but they do look healthy.

Larry

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I LOVE Konjacs! Here's my 3 biggest (I have quite a few teenagers too):

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tommyr,

Those look healthy! They should be fairly close to being large enough to bloom. Have they ever bloomed for you?

Larry

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Tommyr

They look great!
    How much 'resting' time they get?
    Was the aroma as bad as I read?
    Rina

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tommyr,

That's quite a bloom! Mine have bloomed but never that tall.

Rina,

You had better believe they smell as bad as you read. They smell like a slaughter house.

I put them into dormancy all winter long. Around Christmas they send up a bloom like Tommyr's when they are old enough.

Larry

• postalwhiz
    11 years ago

I bought one in June, it produced foliage which has just died in the last two weeks, is this normal or did I lose it?

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Postal, they retire every year in late Sept. in Pennsylvania. They also make a zillion bulbs.

Tommy, mine only stink in the day, for 4 days, nights are smell-free. DW put up multiple Airwick things to try to cut the smell, useless thing to do. My sister walked into the house and cried out "J****s C*****, what died in here?" The smell is like a cow that died a week ago in the heat of summer. Really that bad. And yes, you do pinch your nose near it as you show in your photo. To water the other plants in the room, I used a nose clip to prevent the gagging reflex. Now I have a greenhouse, so the blooms don't affect people.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Postalwhiz, let the leaf completely wither and then cut it off. Keep the tuber dry all winter. When the weather warms up it will start to shoot again producing either a flower if it's mature enough, or another leaf. They go through this annual cycle.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Absolutely fantastic!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Mine have begun to go dormant. My 3 big ones flopped over so they were dug up in the past few days. The smaller ones are close to being ready to big dug out of their pots. Photos of the corms shortly.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

My 8 1/2 pounder:

{{gwi:99126}}

And a 3 pounder:

{{gwi:99127}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Tommy

W-O-W
    They are huge...and how old are they?
    For how long do you keep them dry?
    Rina

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

The 8 pounder is about 5 years old. A few years ago it was 13 pounds and 11" across but it has shrunk, I think due to flowering taking a lot out of it.

They will remain in a cool spot indoors until late winter early spring. This is when they start to wake up.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I so wanna try one of these!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Lots on ebay right now for sale. It's that time of the year.

Also sold here:

http://www.boberosa.com/lily.html

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Tommy

Thank you for the answer.

I have lots of them (tubers), but much smaller. They are young, babies. My oldest one is only abt. 2.5yr old. Much smaller. I am surprised that your 5yr. old one is so large...Rinaq

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

When small they seem to double in size in one season. Nickle sized turn into golf ball size, etc.

• DamionThorn
    11 years ago

I am not only new to an amorphophallus, I am also new to being able to keep plants without instantly killing them, period!!!

I saw what a great job some of you have done and I want to inquire. I got my amorphphallus, a HOUSE version, and repotted it...in doing so, I think I drowned it, as I was told to do what I would normally do, repot and wet completely.

Did I kill it, or might it come back??? There was another pod which emerged that seems to be growing quickly, but I can't tell how that is going to go...I am just sad I think I drowned the plant that was already there to begin with :(

But I couldn't find ANY how-to web sites for a houseplant version of this, not one...and then when I applied other plants concepts...I did wrong :(

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Damien where are you located? This time of year in the colder states they are beginning their dormant period. All of my Konjacs are now inside. I dig them up after their leaf stalks flops over. They're setting on various stands around the house, bare corms that I cleaned prior to bringing inside. I'm not sure what you mean by "houseplant version".

• boutte
    10 years ago

a newbee--- i just received my bulb that i bought off ebay. Can someone give me some 101 tips of what to do with the bulb? how/when do I plant? any advice will be greatly appreciated..

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Where are you located? Zone? How big in diameter is the corm?

They need a free draining mix, I use either Pro-mix or Miracle grow potting MIX and mix with almost an equal amount of perlite. You want a pot I'd say about 3 diameters bigger than the corm so it has room to grow. Put out side after all danger of frost has past in a bright location with early morning Sun only and bright indirect Sun the rest of the day.

• steiconi
    10 years ago

has anyone grown these to eat? Any tips?

In case you didn't know, the corms/bulbs are ground into powder and used to make CALORIE FREE noodles and other foods. I would so love to grow my own instead of buying the rather expensive packages.

Lee

• temporal-joe
    10 years ago

Lee

This is my first year growing any amorphophallus. I have a bunch of konjac pups and a couple other species.
    It'll take me several years to have any to spare that would be big enough to try eating them. But yeah, I'd love to try making my own konjac candy from the plant itself.

Joe

• su fe
    8 years ago

Amorphophallus konjac - hi i need help asap. i recently bought this konjac 3 weeks ago i thought is a very unusual looking plant, i notice the tips of the leaves started turning brown. Since i bought this i kept it inside the house & receive filtered afternoon light from my front glass door. What is going on i really like this plant i hope it wont die. I appreciate your help thanks

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The leaves eventually dry up & it goes dormant. Maybe that's what is happening with yours? (I am not sure about timing...)

Mine just started growing a leave after it flowered first time ever back in March - after flower dried up, the leave started growing from the base.

Rina

• su fe
    8 years ago

thanks for your response Rina. . . . i live in the Bay Area SF CA & we are about to approach the summer months, inside my house is a little bit cooler. I was thinking my grandkids were touching the leaves to feel if the plant was real, that is why the tips were turning brown. I thought the foliage should last until Sept? Thanks Sue

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    8 years ago

Your plant looks fine to me. Stick it outdoors in BRIGHT shade and it'll be fine. fertilize it with miracle grow according to label directions.

• su fe
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Wow I really appreciate all your response, you guys are great. I like your photo w/ the bloom. I can't wait for my plant to bloom as big as that. it's amazing.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County