Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Three ID's

CactusBoss
10 years ago

These plants are my mom's plants that she's had for over 15 years.

Comments (11)

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

number two

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

number three

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

#1, not sure, some kind of Dracaena?

#2, Dracaena marginata

#3, some species of Schefflera

Planto

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After looking at my first plant for a while I think I figured it out. I think it's Dracaena reflexa Star of Jamaica?

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Cactus,
    I am not the most familiar with Dracaenas, but I looked up what you said and it looks like it to me. I'd wait for someone else to comment and give you the thumbs up, as I don't trust my own opinion on your first one lol. I know the other two IDs that I stated are correct though. :P

More specifically on your third one, I believe it is Schfflera actinophylla (definitely not a dwarf Schfflera).

Planto

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

plantomaniac08, I think Schfflera actinophylla may be a rare houseplant because I've never ever seen it in any stores before. My mom got this plant when i was very very young.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Cactus,
    I am not sure on the species then, as I looked it up in a Houseplants book I own. Unless I'm mistaken, your plant looks like it has large leaves, so I don't believe it's Schfflera arboricola, which is known as Dwarf Schfflera. Hopefully someone else will chime in. :)

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

There's nothing in the Scheff pic for scale. A pic of the whole plant?

• User
    10 years ago

S. actinophylla w.o. a doubt. Frequently sold in the big box stores here.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

There are hundreds of Schefflera species but the most commonly grown are actinophylla and arboricola. The difference between those two is easy, just a matter of size. The photo does make it look like actinophylla but there is nothing there to give perspective. I have both of those, my actinophyllas are quite large but the arboricola is miniscule, even for a dwarf plant. I also have S. bractescens which is rare in cultivation.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Afternoon All,

Cactus...you're right. Plant #1 is D. Reflexa, or Song of India with semi-variegation.
    The three main types sold are green, semi-variegated, and golden.
    I'm sure there are others, but harder to find.

Two is D. marginata.

Three is definately S. actinophylla. I have two.
    Green and a Golden variety.
    You're so right. S. actinophylla is rare.
    Years ago, they were most common..more common than arboricola is nowadays.

Nj, wow...your area has a zillion available plants.
    You said, actinophylla is found in big box stores? Not here.

I bought the golden on Ebay, but green was another 1.00 plant purchased at our grocery store, Jewel. There was only one actinophylla on the shelf. It went in our cart as fast as the speed of light. :) Toni