Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three ID's

Posted by CactusBoss Zone 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 15:39

These plants are my mom's plants that she's had for over 15 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three ID's

number two

o

number three

o

#1, not sure, some kind of Dracaena?

#2, Dracaena marginata

#3, some species of Schefflera

Planto

o

After looking at my first plant for a while I think I figured it out. I think it's Dracaena reflexa Star of Jamaica?

o

Cactus,
I am not the most familiar with Dracaenas, but I looked up what you said and it looks like it to me. I'd wait for someone else to comment and give you the thumbs up, as I don't trust my own opinion on your first one lol. I know the other two IDs that I stated are correct though. :P

More specifically on your third one, I believe it is Schfflera actinophylla (definitely not a dwarf Schfflera).

Planto

o

plantomaniac08, I think Schfflera actinophylla may be a rare houseplant because I've never ever seen it in any stores before. My mom got this plant when i was very very young.

o

Cactus,
I am not sure on the species then, as I looked it up in a Houseplants book I own. Unless I'm mistaken, your plant looks like it has large leaves, so I don't believe it's Schfflera arboricola, which is known as Dwarf Schfflera. Hopefully someone else will chime in. :)

Planto

o

There's nothing in the Scheff pic for scale. A pic of the whole plant?

o

S. actinophylla w.o. a doubt. Frequently sold in the big box stores here.

o

There are hundreds of Schefflera species but the most commonly grown are actinophylla and arboricola. The difference between those two is easy, just a matter of size. The photo does make it look like actinophylla but there is nothing there to give perspective. I have both of those, my actinophyllas are quite large but the arboricola is miniscule, even for a dwarf plant. I also have S. bractescens which is rare in cultivation.

o

Afternoon All,

Cactus...you're right. Plant #1 is D. Reflexa, or Song of India with semi-variegation.
The three main types sold are green, semi-variegated, and golden.
I'm sure there are others, but harder to find.

Two is D. marginata.

Three is definately S. actinophylla. I have two.
Green and a Golden variety.
You're so right. S. actinophylla is rare.
Years ago, they were most common..more common than arboricola is nowadays.

Nj, wow...your area has a zillion available plants.
You said, actinophylla is found in big box stores? Not here.

I bought the golden on Ebay, but green was another 1.00 plant purchased at our grocery store, Jewel. There was only one actinophylla on the shelf. It went in our cart as fast as the speed of light. :) Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here