Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scsva

All Bromeliad Fans

scsva
11 years ago

Please tell me how to raise a bromeliad.

Lowe's keeps marking these bromeliads way down so I thought I would try one. I have no clue so before I looked it up on the internet, I thought I would ask the Gurus. Please do not tell me to use Al's Gritty Mix. LOL!

Susan

Comments (12)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Well, a lot depends on which type of bromeliad you're getting. Does Lowes tag it with a specific name or just say "Bromeliad"? The link below gives a bit of an overview.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: For starters...

• scsva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There's no tank under it..for sure.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

'cause if there were a tank under there I'd tread lightly.

The care is the same, for the most part, as that for Epiphyllums. If it has a cup in the center of the plant capable of holding water, it shouldn't go dry during the warmer periods of the year (the growth times).

• scsva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! That's cute, Jeff. I really would like to hear from people who can talk about their own experiences instead of reading instructions on the net.

Susan

11 years ago

Susan,

I think I've given you the basics. What else would you like to know?

• scsva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes you did Jeff and I thank you. That's not what I meant.

I guess they're easy plants to take care of but I guess a lot of people don't know that because it looks like they're not selling well, at least not in my area.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Susan,

I think that may be 'cause folks don't know what they are or how to care for them.

I cared for an Aechmea in a office for a couple of years, not much more than water & give it best possible light, it did fine.

11 years ago

Susan,

Maybe you're surrounded by a lot of non-Brom fans....that doesn't make them a difficult plant to grow, it just means folks don't like them or don't know them well. These are relatively simple plants to take care of, as Karen states. Soil requirements are mostly organics but porous, they don't care whether the pot is TC or plastic, and try not to let them go dry. Diffused bright light is recommended.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Have you visited the Bromeliad Forum? You'll be able to gather lots of good information by reading old threads. Once you've done a bit of homework, you'll be better prepared to ask specific questions. It's important to take advantage of simple, easy to comprehend fact sheets such as the one supplied by tsuga, as well. Self-education is key.

Be sure to post pictures of your plant so that we can help ID it for you.

• User
    11 years ago

Susan, I know you don't want to hear this but bromeliads are pretty much I only plants I DO use gritty mix on.

• scsva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha!Ha! I know the gritty mix had to come up. Surprisingly that's the wording on the internet and not this forum.

I ended up giving the plant to a co-worker as I really don't need a new plant obsession. I'll let her know what you all said.

Susan

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I suspect they were marked down because they are at the end of their bloom cycle. This means the plant will die, but will produce more plants (called pups) before it dies. You can leave it until they are big enough to separate and plant. You don't have to plant them in dirt, you can use gritty mix, or pebbles, or nothing. I have one that isn't planted in anything and it's doing fine. It's just sitting on the plant shelf.