Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Cyclamen!

Posted by RedeemedMama Southwest Kansas (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 16:04

I received a cyclamen a couple of weeks ago as a gift. After doing a little research (because many of the flowers have fallen off and leaves are turning yellow), I discovered that the plant should have been in dormancy since spring or early summer. Plus, it's WAY too hot around here (even indoors) for it! It's about 95 degrees outside, and 70 inside.

It is on the kitchen table now with a skylight overhead, and was in a eastern facing window before that, in the sun room (a big no-no!)

What should I do with it??? Is it too late to prepare it for dormancy (1st frost is about 2 mos. away). Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Cyclamen!

Hi RD,

Sorry no one has answered, I suspect they don't have the experience to know what to suggest. While I've had these plants several times, I've not been successful keeping them. I also once gave some to my sister for Thanksgiving, after a time hers pooped out too.

I don't know what to tell you, my experience is over time the leaves yellow & drop or if not drop & look all yellow, I removed them.

I don't think one prepares the plant for dormancy, I think the plant tells us when it's going by turning yellow. I just have no knowledge or experience in how to hold them over. I'm curious what it says online about how to keep them, I've never searched for that info.

I have some friends here in NYC who have some winter hardy Cyclamen in their yard that comes back every year, but I think that's exceptional, rather than the norm.

o
RE: Help with Cyclamen!

If the plant has had leaves for 4 months or so, it made enough food for the bulb. To send it into dormancy, just withhold water. The leaves will yellow and die, and the bulb should be stored in the hottest driest place you have, but not the oven. A garage or shed is fine. don't let the critters eat it, a few do. Come November, you will probably see new leaves coming out the top. Plant the bulb in good organic rich soils and water it normally. Feed it well for best results, but not with too much nitrogen.

These come from a region extending from the Mediterranean to Central Asia. Lots of bulbs from this region. Garlics, Tulips and Fritillarias come to mind. Places that get no rain in the hottest times, and many plants like Cyclamen grow in the cooler, wetter times. If the plant gets water all year, it will keep a few sad leaves and not bloom. A hot dry rest will re-set the cycle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here