Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maltau571

How to make a ficus cutting grow into a Bonsai

maltau571
9 years ago

Is there a way to make a small ficus cutting grow into a Bonsai???

Comments (3)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

First things first,..let it grow like a normal tree for a while so you actually have enough material to work with.

If Al(tapla)shows up he will be able to guide you further(he's a bonsai enthusiast).

Also there is a bonsai forum here at GW.

Might be worth a peek. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The GW Bonsai Forum

• maltau571
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

What a grower perceives as a bonsai specimen changes as his/her abilities change and exposure to the world of bonsai increases. At the entry level, small tree liners in bonsai pots are considered bonsai specimens by the beginner. As you grow in the hobby, your view of the liner in a pot changes as it relates to the individual's view of what constitutes a bonsai, but it's my feeling that someone's more discerning view should never override a beginner's view of what constitutes a bonsai or discourage a beginner from the satisfaction of being able to say "I practice bonsai".

The essence of bonsai centers on the use of techniques used to transform a living thing into art, into something that represents a thing we might find in nature and evoke the feeling that the tree has a story to tell. That might sound far fetched, but once you've stood in front of a world class bonsai composition, you'll understand how evocative a plant can be.

Is there a way to make a small ficus cutting grow into a Bonsai? Yes, of course. All bonsai were once cuttings or seedlings or propagated in some way. Many of the world's very best bonsai were collected from the wild.

Many growers try their hand at bonsai, few persist because they find it too difficult to keep their trees alive, let alone healthy enough that they'll withstand the regular maintenance work it takes to keep the trees small and compact. When I was first exposed to the trees displayed at a bonsai show, by accident, my immediate reaction wasn't "I want to know how to do that", it was, "I HAVE to know how to do that". I was that taken with the artistry.

I urge anyone willing to make the effort to increase the amount of personal satisfaction to be had from interacting with plants to try bonsai, but know too that it's a commitment. It isn't something you just DO - you have to want to work at it so you can get to where you can count on your plants being around long enough to make something special of them.

Al

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA