Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Outside gardener needs inside help (pic)

I've been doing ornamental gardening for about 25 years now and this July was a killer here in Oklahoma. In fact Oklahoma set the all time record for having the hottest July on record of any state ever. Temperatures of 115 were not uncommon. Even normally heat tolerant plants were biting the dust. So imagine my surprise when I ran across this plant at a Krispy Kreme donut outlet growing as a south side foundation plant looking as if it was a pleasant spring day. I'm 99% sure this is some sort of houseplant, but I'm hoping for an ID. The leaves are fairly succulent. I have more pics if needed...Thank you.....Maryl

{{gwi:99289}}

Comments (6)

• brodyjames_gw
    12 years ago

Looks like Moses in a Boat/Moses in the Cradle. Tradescantia spathacea, I think.
    Others will chime in.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah ha! Thank you so much Nancy. I'm vaguely familiar with the old wandering jew plant, but they are not full sun plants outdoors I don't think. But with the botanical name you gave me in tow I did a search and ran across what I am pretty sure is the name of this plant. It seems like it has 50 different botanical names but I'll settle for Tradescantia Bermudensis Hawaiian Dwarf. It's care description (hot and sunny) fit the bill for where this was growing. Now I just have to try and find it. Finding anything (tropicals, houseplants etc.) that can take the inferno that is our summers is a challenge, even if I have to pitch them when winter moves in.....Thank you again

Here is a link that might be useful: Tradescantia Hawaiian Dwarf

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Maryl. I find the easiest name to remember is 'Oyster Plant,' lol.
    Google 'oyster plant, pictures', many photos and info pops up.

Why not go back to Krispy Kreme, and ask if you can take a small cutting? A 4-6" piece will be sufficent.
    They're fast-rooters and easy to boot. In water or soil.
    Who knows? Whomever you talk to might be generous and tell you to help yourself.

If you're feeling shy, there's many online nurseries that sell Oyster Plants. accentsforhomeandgarden.com is one. Oyster comes in a 4" pot for 5.95. I order from Accents quite a bit, never had any problems.

They're gorgeous plants...Toni

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

I got one of these a few months ago at my Home Depot. It grows like a weed here in SoCal. Im near LA and its been pretty hot this year. Around 85+ nearly everyday though we did have one freak thunder storm. Its doing so great its even made a baby thats nearly as big as the mother plant now.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Yes, I agree that it's Moses in the Cradle, but I believe its botanical name is Rhoeo, that's what I know it to be.

Along w/ this variegated version, I've seen it in solid green leaves w/ purple underneath the leaves like other Wandering Jews.

Oh, nice link, yep that's it, I see it says those names are synonymous. I agree, go back & ask for a couple of cuttings, all they can do is say no. Often when I do this, folks say yes, I sometimes offer to BUY a couple of cuttings & they generally just GIVE them to me, happy to meet someone who likes their plant.

I've seen this as landscape plants at the base of some trees in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., so I know it can take some serious heat.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thank everyone for their contribution. I have no room for propagating plants anymore. Just enough for a few seedlings over winter. I may contact the Krispy Kreme manager and ask what firm does their landscaping to see if I can locate the source for this Hawaiian dwarf Oyster plant. Toni: Thanks for the URL for Peppers. I'd never heard of them before and they have several "houseplants" that interest me for outdoors. There just isn't much literature regarding using them outdoors in a southern landscape. My Sansevierias seem to take anything I throw at them, but my Clivia is a burned up mess after its sheltered position outside was destroyed when we lost a tree. I'm thinking a dark cave maybe the only place it likes it outside...Sorry that was OT. Thanks again to everyone for all your help....Maryl