Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Purple foliage/leaves

Some are "wow, that's a purple leaf," some are stripes, leaf backs, tints that can manifest in certain amounts of light. Mostly just genus names since they either have several possibilities, or 'the' purple one is obvious.

Begonia, various, mainly Rex'es
Callisia fragrans
Callisia repens
Croton
Echeveria
Gibasis geniculata Tahitian bridal veil
Graptopetalum
Gynura purple velvet
Hemigraphis waffle plant
Heuchera
Iresine
Lorapetalum
Oxalis purple shamrock
Perilla often mistaken for Coleus
Plectranthus
Pseuderanthemum
Sedum stonecrop
Senecio
Strobilanthes dyerianus Persian shield
Tradescantia pallida formerly called Setcreasea pallida
Tradescantia sillamontana
Tradescantia spathacea formerly called Rhoeo spathacea
Tradescantia zebrina wandering Jew

What's missing? Show a pic or few if you feel like it!

Tradescantia zebrina on right, T. pallida on left.
{{gwi:93295}}

LOVE the spots on this Begonia on the left.
{{gwi:93130}}

Tradescantia sillamontana.
{{gwi:2873}}

Hemigraphis (more purple in person than this pic for some reason.)
{{gwi:99328}}

Strobilanthes dyerianus, Persian shield, with Coleus.

Comments (21)

• marquest
    10 years ago

Purple I just purchased that Hemigraphis plant at HD this week. I am still looking at it to see if I really like its bumpy self. lol

I put it in a mix pot of different purple plants.

Have you had it long? I read it does not like to dry out and is really good in as a Terrarium plant.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That particular plant is new this year but I had one with different colored leaves for years. It survived going in/out seasonally for a few years, a year in a dark-ish apartment, then a trip to AL (from OH) in the back of a moving truck, then I forgot to water it a few winters ago. It didn't survive that. If this one is like the other, it should make little white flowers over winter. I've never had a terrarium, so IDK about that. Don't think I ever even repotted that other one, bummer.

FWIW, it's easy to propagate, just break off a piece and stick it in soil. Ignore it while it wilts (or take off more leaves than I do,) should take root. Doing during summer humidity is probably best. I'm not going to bother excavating the roots of this, just save a few pieces stuck in various pots.

If you get around to it, I'd love to see that mixed purple planter!

• marquest
    10 years ago

I will get a pic of it when it stops raining. It looks pretty sad because my main plant the "thriller" did not like being moved to so much light from the store to outside.

I do thriller, filler, spiller setting up my pots.

The sad looking moved plant is the Calathea with pink stripes that you posted in the pink topic. How it it doing for you since it looks like you have had it since March.? I just purchased it last month. When I brought it home and put it outside in the new pot the leaves went crispy and I did not even have it in the sun. It was probably in the dark inside at Home Depot so long that any light was hard to take.

Here are some purple I have in my Photobucket
    {{gwi:99331}}

{{gwi:99335}}

{{gwi:99338}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Love those Oxalis!

I've had the Calathea since last fall sometime.

{{gwi:89224}}
    It's now living with Anthurium, Dracaena sanderiana, and a piece of Tradescantia spathacea. It looked better while it was inside for winter, strangely enough. What a slow-growing plant, no wait, it's shrinking. Looking at that pic from winter, it has less leaves.

T. spathacea is better from the bottom, IMO. I need to remember to put more of this in high-up hanging baskets.

• marquest
    10 years ago

Purple you might be right I think this Calathea does not like heat. It has cooled down and now I am getting two new leaves. I am not ready to bring the plants in yet. I will see how it does this winter.

Re the oxalis....Thank you. I have had that plant for 20 years. I love how easy it is and it is one that loves summer.

I agree T. spathacea is better from the bottom because of the purple but Tri-color spathacea is pretty either way especially if it is grown in full sun and lots of water. Because it twist and turns you get the view of the purple underside and other leaves with the white and hint of pink on the top of the leaves.
    {{gwi:79194}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

As my daughter used to say when she was 2, "I nee dat!" What kind of light do you put that in? Adjacent to Coleus, Plectranthus, and - Sedum? What's in the middle at the top - Aptenia? My plants want to get into your pots - you have the best collection of wild and pretty pots I've ever seen.

Do you have people who look at a foliage-only display like this and say, "I love your flowers?" It happens to me all summer, people walking by. This year there are a lot more actual blooms, but people just can't say "I love your leaves" or "I love your foliage." I've gotten to the point where almost any flowers that don't serve hummingbirds or butterflies with nectar seem not worth the space and effort they take.

Wish I'd understood Oxalis last time I had one in OH. It went dormant and I just kept watering it, no idea it was a bulb. Luckily they can stay in the ground here. Do you have any Oxalis crassipes with plain green leaves and masses of pink flowers?

This little Kalanchoe pumila is the most purple succulent I have, I think. The Faucaria ("Jaws") above it literally melted into pudding from all of this rain/lack of sunshine.

• marquest
    10 years ago

My friends recognize my plants and say I have to many. lol

But mostly they walk around and say what is that, and what is this it is so pretty. I have so many they are just shocked and want to know the name. Not that they will remember or hunt it down like I do.

I have it in full Sun with Kalanchoe and the common jade plants. If Tri-color Rio spathacea is in the shade it just does not come into its full color.

You know my pots are mostly from the Thrift store or my daughter has given me for Birthdays, Mother's day presents, or I make them. I love pots and plants. The pot makes the plant and the plant makes the pot they go hand in hand.

No I only have the purple oxlias because if it does not have a pretty leaf I do not bother growing the plant most of the time. I have very few plants for flowers only.

Your succulents look great. I have had problems this year with all my plants with all the rain and no sun. Last year is was all sun and no rain. Maybe next year it will be a perfect year of equal sun and rain. I can hope.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I like purple shamrocks so much I have two kinds! Oxalis triangularis, and Charmed Wine. Also Plectranthus and a Rex begonia that has purple-pink in the leaves. I like purple and varigated foliage, and admire lots of plants that I see in this forum, but some really want it to be warmer and more humid than I can provide. So I am happy to visit purple's porch and see marquest's pretty plants (and the cool planter!)

Original Author
    10 years ago

This pic is showing a more pink tone than reality. A different Hemigraphis, purple waffle plant.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful plants you all have.
    Christine

Original Author
    10 years ago

Echeveria! It was light green, almost yellow, when I got it almost a year ago. Glad it looks like this now, purple is a much better shade for succulent leaves, to my eye.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kalanchoe pumila is turning more purple now that the sun is getting under the porch roof more/for longer. And next to it seemed like a good place for my piece of pumice.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 18:23

Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves on this Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata) are pleasantly purple.

Original Author
    10 years ago

This Coleus leaf is especially purple today.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Graptopetalum paraguayense 'Ghosty'

Original Author
    10 years ago

Senecio crassissimus (on the right, Aloe on the left,) has cool spots of purple where the petioles meet the stem, and on the leaf edges. Just got this particular plant, needs more sun to develop the purple around the leaf edges.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 9:20

Original Author
    10 years ago

Senecio jacobsenii.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning All,

Purple leaves by Purple. :)

Gesneriad

{{gwi:99343}}

Purple Heart, variegated

{{gwi:99344}}

T. Oyster Plant

{{gwi:99346}}

Purple Heart, non-variegated

{{gwi:99348}}

Oxalis

{{gwi:99350}}

Wandering Jew, stripe

{{gwi:99352}}

Purp, I adore Echs, but can't keep them. How's yours doing? Toni

Original Author
    10 years ago

TY, Toni. Fantastic plants!! I love them all! "Purple Heart, non-variegated " - are the flowers on this pink with white edges? What genus is the gesneriad?

Toni, the Echeverias are OK. Bake in sun, water the day after I think they're totally dry.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hey Purp...

It's weird here..temp is 67F. Tornado warnings. Like an idiot I place two Gardenias on the front porch.
    Two hours later the winds picked up..T-storms galore.
    Well, I managed to get one, but the larger tree rolled down the stairs.!!! Sh!t.

Regarding Purple Heart, non-variegated...I think flowers are all pink, w/o white edges..One time a stem broke so I placed it in a small glass with water. A flower opened..the flower looked more purple than pink. Maybe color depends on sunlight??
    White edges sound very pretty though. Are yours pink with white edges?

The ges in called Nautilocalyx...Not sure it's a Gesneriad, but according to the nursery, it is.

Echeverias do well during summer, but once short, dark autumn comes along, they get spindly. Usually, the lower trunk isn't thick enough to hold the top, and before you know it, the entire plant is horizontal.

Your Ech is very pretty though. I love its purple hues.

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Cordyline Tango - is that purple rather than deep red?