Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia Amazonica

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 16:51

Much to my surprise, this bloomed for me. Not surprisingly, like most aroids, the flower was nothing spectacular, but it was the thought that counted.....

July 2011

July 2011

July 2011

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia Amazonica

My four year old plant also bloomed this year. I felt it was a sign I must have done something right (and not stressed and fighting for survival). I promptly cut it off as soon as it showed signs of fading. ;-)

tj

o

Paul, over the years, I've heard others say the same thing you did. 'the Alocasia flower isn't spectacular.'

On the contrary. Although most Alocasias are grown for foliage, the flowers add beauty.

Their flowers resemble Spaths and Aglaonemas. How many people wish their Spaths flower? Quite a few.

Is the plant on pic 3, the same as pic 1 and 2? The bottom of its leaves looks different, and gorgeous. Toni

o

Great pics, and pretty flower. I've killed so many of these types of plants, the more expsensive they are, they faster they die on me. I finally have a place with enough light and there's nowhere to buy something like that. LOL! Well done!

I totally agree, Toni. I don't understand when people cut off their caladium flowers before they turn brown.

o

Toni, My guess is that that is sunlight shining through minibinds on those leaves.

Danny

o

Danny would be correct -- all pics are of the same plant. The leaf difference in the 3rd pic is just the way the light is hitting it. The leaves look different yet from the front/top rather than from the underside.

o

• Posted by squidy 7%3F not 100%25 s (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 21:37

Congrats! Your plant looks very healthy and beautiful. The leaves look amazing in the sun.

o

What potting media do you use?

o

What potting media do you use?

A blend of potting soil and leftover orchid mix (which contains large grade charcoal, large grade perlite or hydroton, and large chunks bark or coconut husk). I don't actually measure things out but as a guesstimate, it is probably about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of soil:mix.

o

A blend of potting soil and leftover orchid mix (which contains large grade charcoal, large grade perlite or hydroton, and large chunks bark or coconut husk). I don't actually measure things out but as a guesstimate, it is probably about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of soil:mix.

thanks for the response! just wondering because mine has not flowered (i think possibly because i have not had it during the "bloom season"). I have mine in a orchid bark mix, soil, perlite, and a touch of vermiculite mix. can't wait to see how it goes!

o

Very nice, Paul!

Josh

o

Nanc, While not exactly rare, it is uncommon for this plant to flower even when well cared for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here