Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of plant is this?

Posted by ninnerd Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 16:54

Hello. I inherited this plant in a jar from a co-worker three years ago. It has been doing really well all this time in the same jar. It's very hardy - I can move it from room to room and back and forth from different buildings, and it's fine.
The new leaves grow from the older leaves, and they kind of cup at the growth source.
I have no idea what this is, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. :)

This link is to a picture of the plant on my Twitpic account:
http://twitpic.com/298zv4

Let me know if a better pic is needed. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of plant is this?

I believe it is a variety of Croton, I believe genus Codiaeum. There are many named varieties.
chaz

o

Ok, thanks!

o

Yes, it is a form of Croton. Pls. be advised that as a Euphorbia, its sap can be irritating to the skin (always wash well after handling it & BEFORE touching your face).

Also, for Crotons to keep this much color, they need a fair amount of strong/direct sun. If not, it'll lose its color & revert to green.

Yes, Crotons are strong & hardy plants, I've found that to be true as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here