Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glad Asleep wakes up sometimes

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 16:58

Asleepinthegarden sent me an awesome package with an amazing assortment of various cool plants. Not sure what all of them are, and some aren't pictured, a few things got placed in other pots, but I needed 5 pots to contain these guys, and not totally sure I won't be repotting before spring.

I was hoping rain would rinse the leaves a bit, I don't want to drown the pots with tap water to do that, but the sky is not helping with that yet.

TY, Asleep!!

Group pic:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glad Asleep wakes up sometimes

Aglaonema, and...?

o

I think Philo bipinnatifidum, and... Hoya?

o

This fat stem might not look like much, but in person it's obvious that it's ready to POP into something pretty exciting. With Ficus pumila I think?

o

This is very exciting, this pic doesn't do justice to what-all's in here, or the size of it.

o

This Scindapsus has different leaves than the one I have, one of my fav pieces in the box!

TY, TY, ASleep! As things begin to take off, I'll take more pics!

o

I'm so happy you got more plants, cause heaven knows you dont have enough LOL You'll have to post more pictures 2 weeks from now, they wont look the same.
My best friend on Long Island got 13" of rain yesterday, so awful for them!

o

Bit like a guessing game, any first prize?

Pic 2 The main plant looks like a small Eucharis Lily. Is that the Aglaonema on the right side of the pot?

Pic 3 Hoya pubicalyx on the left, a bit of a Philodendron vine plus some tiny Alocasia leaves?

Pic 4 Difficult to make out but stem of vining aroid.

Pic 5 Colocasia on left, and a couple of different Alocasias.

Pic 6 Epipremnum pinnatum top, Begonia, Scindapsus below. My Scindapsus is pretty similar to that one.

o

I'm awake for a minute lol.

the one adjacent to the aglaonema is an emerald gem homalomena

The fat stem about to pop is monstera deliciosa...and yep the one in there with it is ficus pumila(which was just vines and roots in a humid pickle jar previous to packing so the move to soil will be new to it and the roots will have to adjust...baby it as much as you can and it won't wither too much...otherwise it will die back a bit but will likely establish itself and come back eventually,right?

More soon(ish),I've got shovelwork in a couple hours and I need shuteye. Sheesh I'm tired.
I'm getting too old to be doing this lol.

o

This philo bip was in there somewhere.

Okay...night night for now! ;)

o

Between work and an uncooperative flippy flop sleep pattern,I've been kinda flibbertygibbit here as of late.

The alocasias were Sarian and what I suspect is macrorhiza. The colocasia illustris in there with them might need it's own container. Previous to boxing it,the container it was potted in was sitting in water so it's roots were adapted to that environment.

Really glad you liked the box Purp.
I really hoped you would. :)

o

TY for the help, and heck yeah I'm diggin it! The creeping Ficus is doing exactly what you described. I tried to put as many roots as possible in contact with the soil, and of course the humidity is extreme.

Agreed, sure a lot of these things will need to break up with their potmates soon. For now, they should help each other use moisture much more quickly. You've been watching me make little jungles in pots the past few years, the more crowded I get 'em, seems like the happier everybody is - right up until they really do need more root space.

o

Even as humid as things are down there,it may not hurt to put a jar open end down on top of the ficus pumila just long enough to get it's footing. Always worked for me anyway.

Only reason I was suggesting the new pot for colocasia was that it will want water more regularly that the alos who respond badly to not drying out a fair bit between waterings.

I know you had a regular green colo EE in the old yard,and I know that they overwinter in LA,but am not certain about the illustris...which would have been perfect for that area that kept flooding back at the old place. As you know,colos tend to live on the banks of waterways.

LOL@ "diggin it" great choice of words! ;)

o

...By the way,..

Did the little cutting of p.erubescens make it?

It should grow great for you,after all you already have what I believe to be similar cultivars of it already that are thriving(looked great last time I saw em).

o

Hey asleep,Purple,and tropical.. All my fav gardenweb friends?I have also gone from a gardenweb power to a diminished visitor.

o

LOL hey Teen!

Yeah I noticed you'd toned it down a bit...kinda figured it was your decision to soften your touch..."absence makes the heart grow fonder" and all that.

Pretty smooth re-entry so far! kudos :)

o

True 'dat.

Asleep, absorbing the inputs about what was sent, TY for that and the advice! Sorry I don't recognize everything & trying not to repeat past mistake of hovering new stuff to death.

It rained this evening. I'll take new pics 2moro.

o

Looking forward to it for sure. :)

o

Thanks asleep and Purple, but I forgot to say hi to christine, nice too see you too:) I faded out of the scene after that person witth the great pothos disrespected purple...

o

Oh my...I must have missed that.

I can't imagine anyone disrespecting Purp for any reason.

If I know Purp,she probably just blew it off without a second thought though(she's awesome like that).

o

Teen,
I don't believe he/she is around anymore (I know who you're referring to). Don't let folks like that keep you away, you're missed when you're gone!

Planto

o

Hi Beth!

Nice of you to join us!
Been doin alright? Hope so! :)

o

Jon,
Yep, been doing good. :) Haven't been posting as much lately, but I'm still around!

How are your plants doing? Has that little Philo recovered yet? I hope your plants have adjusted well to your move.

Planto

o

Nope.

Looked at it just yesterday and I'm pretty sure at this rate that it's toast.

Pity too...growing a prince of orange from an itty bitty division was a hurdle I'd hoped to get over.

Oh well! ;)

Glad to see you're still around.
I've been on lurker status myself alot lately come to think of it.

o

Planto, I get worried people like that can get me banned permanently, so i too another break, and im finding it harder to find time for gardenweb anymore 2, but i love being here...

o

Jon,
That's sad news. Maybe you can try again some day, now that you've gotten yourself situated. :)

Sometimes there's not much to say, so lurking is a good thing I spose lol.

Teen,
I understand. With folks like that, you have to learn when to pick your battles. Meaning, usually people like that aren't worth your time (because no matter what you say, they think they're right and you're not) so save your responses for when it really matters (that's hard to do when people push your buttons). I also understand not having a lot of time.

Planto

o

Most of the GW is tame compared to the hot topics forum. If you want to get banned for life,that's one corner of this place it can happen pretty quick if you're not on your toes.

If ever there was a post at your own risk forum around here,that would be the one!

Edited to say I think I'm gonna take a few pics of the collection to post...doubt Purp would mind. :)

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 15:04

o

Just a few shots...

o

Another...

o

And another...

o

Still another...

o

And lastly a shot by the roommate's window...

o

Jon,
*wipes corner of mouth* Had to grab my handy plant bib!

Ah yes, the hot topics forum. I stumbled across there one day (clicked on it instead of houseplants) and was like whoa...

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 21:23

o

things get pretty scrappy in there,huh? I've received a friendly warning or two while there myself. Against my better judgement I've been know to stick my toe in the water over there. It's been nibbled at for sure.

I'd thought that because GW was a gardening site,surely the types of people who would be drawn there would be of a like mind,right?

Wrong!

People are different wherever you go.

Imagine that! ;)

o

TG, GLAD you have other things to do with your time, perfectly normal!

Asleep, that's a serious foliage fest, very cool! Hard to not get distracted by the rocks, I miss rocks! Don't even remember at this point what I sent you? Do remember a lil' palm tree seedling. Is it still kickin' around?

Here's some updates after 2 rains. Lovin' this pot!

o

Philo bip on the right? Hoya, Pothos. Not sure what the skinny guy is.

o

This Pothos looks so much better after a rain cleaning.

o

These also look so much better, and have definitely gone from pouting to perky!

o

Saved the most exciting part for last, if I understand what I was told correctly. This is the Monstera? It looks like it's going to *start* with 2 tops! One at left end, the other toward the top edge, a little to the right.

o

Palm is in a terrarium and hasn't really budged in terms of growth,but it IS still alive so I have hope.

By the way the palm seedling I sent you was a medjool date(it was delicious). Glad you reminded me to mention it.

The rocks are what's gonna get me through winter(until covered with frikkin snow). I recall going to great lengths to acquire rock when I lived down south...lugging them back from hiking expeditions. I'd send you some but shipping would break the bank. lol

The smaller of the two homs you've got potted there is the one from the "journal" thread. They look happy together. Oh and that little guy in the middle of it is a colocasia...most likely another illustris...it was in a terrarium previous to boxing and didn't have the same sun exposure as the larger one you potted in with the alos...by the way,is it adjusting to the drier environment okay? No shock?
Looked pretty good in the last pic.
I suspect after all that rain it's just fine.

Edited to say you posted more since I answered...more in a minute.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 9:51

o

Okay ...back.

Yep that's the philo bip alright. Need a better look at the skinny one to tell though.

You did in fact understand correctly. That is deliciosa alright. It's already so much happier in your care. Good to see! :)

Edited to say that since saving your pic so I could zoom on it,i can tell you that the skinny guy is the medjool date.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 10:02

o

Outstanding job Tiffany, they all are doing so well with your TLC...

o

Did you send me this, Asleep?

o

Other angle. Not sure what it is?

o

Hmmm...IDTS...

Does it feel firm enough to be a cycad?
Maybe you put a nut down in there and forgot?

o

IDK, having a brain fart... it was suddenly there...?

o

I know if it was me,I'd probably dig around to see if there was a nut down in there.

Here's a pic of a seedling I found online.

Pretty sure that's it.

o

Yes, the consensus is Cycad. TY. Still a mystery how it got there...!

o

Usually when repotting,I work over a bucket that I keep my mix in. There have been times when heaven knows what had fallen in without my knowledge.

Doubt it was a squirrel,..I think they instinctively know that those are poisonous.

o

An update pic, all very happy!

o

More happiness, with a new one added in the middle.

o

Happy INDEED!

Awesome to see they are doing so well!

The one in the middle...you mean the neon?

o

IKR! Moved all to slightly brighter spots today, fun!

In the middle, some leaves that got folded in transit, is some kind of stripe-variegated Philo or Pothos. Sender not sure & my piece isn't big enough to decide yet.

o

I tried to look at it closer and I see what you mean. pretty hard to tell right now. New growth will no doubt help in identification.
Does the owner of the host plant have pics of mama?

BTW,..keep a watchful eye on that emerald gem,..the one I've got outside was in deep shade but since moving it to a slightly brighter spot it's showing signs of a slight sunburn

o

Will do, TYVM! Already itching to repot 2 of these pots.

Yes, I saw pics of the mama and they're inconclusive to me. Hopefully I'll know from mine here in a month or two.

Something is munching on EE leaves. Can't figure out what. If there's more damage today, will have to move that, somewhere... dag nabbit!

o

Hmmmm...now I'm curious...is it the alos or the colos or both that are getting chewed on? Up here I noticed the same thing happening to a colo but not an alo.

Would it be convenient to post a pic here of the mama plant(assuming you still have it)?

Maybe we can help. =)

o

You're right, it's one of 4 individuals in that pot. Can't ever catch who's doing it, not a caterpillar as I'd first assumed.

These guys seem so happy, making me happy!

IDK who these guys are, names, pls?

o

Another angle of the same pot.

o

And what is this? It had lost a ton of foliage being in the box, it was so hot that day. Didn't have the heart to take its' pic and ask about it, didn't think it was gonna make it. Seems determined to grow again though. I really like touching the leaves, whatever it is. All I can think when I look at/touch it is Kalanchoe...? From the feel of the stems when I potted it, I've been keeping this dry, in a few hrs of early day sun...

o

It's the colocasia illustris that's getting nibbled. The more leathery skinned leaves are alocasias. For the longest I'd thought they were macrorhiza,but these days I'm suspicious that the new leaves don't point in an upward enough direction...they're definitely alocasia though. I'd absolutely welcome any guesses from anyone out there with an idea as to which one.

The one that fell apart in the box was effectively used as stuffing to prevent too much shifting in there. Any of the broken off leaves could potentially start a new plant. The whole mess was pulled out of a terrarium it had taken over,having been left to it's own devices for a couple years.
Originally the cuttings were taken from rambling growth around the bottom of the mama who bloomed a powerful red.

Oh yeah...kalenchoe of some kind.
In another thread you mentioned not having a red blooming one yet...I was relieved. LOL

o

TYVM! Very exciting stuff, enjoying very much! Can't wait to see some of those red flowers sometime.

o

For the life of me I had no idea of the age of the kalenchoe that was blooming. It had been outdoors and I'm sure that this was helpful in getting it to flower. Since leaving that place with the cuttings(and leaving the mother plant behind),they really haven't been outside at all. Although they loved the humidity they had under glass,they probably needed more light than they were getting. Perhaps as early as sometime next growing season you might get blooms...if anyone can do it,it's you!

Plants just seem to like you,Purp! :)

I'm pretty fond of the alocasias myself.

When I first acquired them it was quite a lucky break. I'd seen them in a neighbor's yard and the lady of the house said that her husband was going to take the lawnmower to the neat little clump when he got home and be done with them. When I voiced my regret stating what a pity that would be,she told me that I was welcome to rescue them. I'm guessing that was about five or six years ago. Somehow I've managed to keep a culture of them going ever since.
They really grow like crazy,don't they?

So glad you're enjoying them! =)

o

hellow asleep and purple:)

o

Hellow to you as well,Teen!

How ya been? :)

o

Hi TG! Hope all is well!

o

These guys are getting happier and happier! Crypthanthus, yes? Potted with Billbergia & some Begonia cuttings.

o

And did you send me some kind of Ledebouria?

o

Sorry to be answering for Jon (I'm sure he doesn't mind), but yes, those are Crypthanthus. Related to bromeliads. :)

Planto

o

Nice pairing the broms,and yep,it's cryptanthus all right. Both of 'em clones of a plant that taught me that they sometimes propagate themselves from the top. The center fell out of the original and I figured that would be the end of it and with luck I'd get pups. However to my amazement,it not only grew back from it's center,but came back double. I'd never seen anything like it in my experience with 'em.

I remember sending a succulent aloe vera looking kinda thing that I visualized going in one of your minigarden landscapes. Googled ledebouria and none of it looks like anything I've ever had,unless an image search doesn't get to it right away. Did you find the ficus microcarpa twig? It would have been at the top of the box in an individual tall baggie. Bet it's put on new growth by now,hmm?

o

TY, Planto!

TY, Asleep. I think it's a natural combo too, from my vague understanding of both. The Billbergia will probably be trying to overrun the Cryps by next year, will shift if/when necessary, and will need repotting anyway. That's cool, your story of how it grew!

I need to take a pic of the other mystery thing. It's a bulb, Ledebouria is an assumption. It might have come from a box I got before yours. Next time I need to take notes about where I put stuff. IDK where the Ficus thing is... Aloe looking thing... starting to get cool enough to inspect closely...

o

Really don't remember anything bulb-like going in,so I suspect that it was something from another trade...one of the hazards of trading so much,Purp! ;)

I'll be the first to admit that much like succulents,..bulbs are a bit of a blindspot for me. No doubt when you post a pic someone will know it though so there's that.

So the ficus got potted and then lost in the crowd,or was it misplaced before potting? Not the end of the world,..just a curiosity,that's all.

Hi Beth! How the heck did your post get there? Could swear it wasn't there before! I must be losing it! lol

You are certainly welcome to answer for me in my absence any time! Thanks for the correct id too...I love cryptanthus and they love terrariums...so how can I go wrong? lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here