Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Glad Asleep wakes up sometimes

Asleepinthegarden sent me an awesome package with an amazing assortment of various cool plants. Not sure what all of them are, and some aren't pictured, a few things got placed in other pots, but I needed 5 pots to contain these guys, and not totally sure I won't be repotting before spring.

I was hoping rain would rinse the leaves a bit, I don't want to drown the pots with tap water to do that, but the sky is not helping with that yet.

TY, Asleep!!

Group pic:

Comments (188)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good morning!

Hmmmmm....

wish list....

Top of my list would have to be a philodendron tortum aka angustisectum aka elegantissima.

Following that,probably a philodendron radiatum. Both of those are really hard to come by in BBS,if not impossible,and I sure as heck don't have the money to come by them in other venues as I'm sure the price would be way beyond my budget(most of my collection started from cuttings).

Additionally,a p. xanadu would be good to have,seeing as last winter the little culture I had going went flop and disintegrated on me.

For some reason(likely crappy drainage)most of my philodendrons have gone from bad to worse over the last couple years and whats left pales by comparison to what I had going before. Even my bip isn't very happy at the moment. Before things warmed up enough to get it out,it had already lost most of it's leaves,and it doesn't seem to be in much of a rush to replace them. It usually grows faster than it currently has been.

It's like some biblical curse is in play...like moses has sent the angel of death to visit and go after philos in particular or something. My regular heart leaf philo died,but that should be easy enough to replace. Had a ton of brazil that has just one tiny slow moving cutting left to show for it. Same goes for my erubescens. The micans in the gallon jar seen above isn't doing TOO bad I guess,but the irony isn't lost on me that with so many philos doing so poorly in my care right now it takes a lot of nerve to want more,let alone rare ones. LOL

*shuffles off to get coffee*

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That sounds really frustrating! Good vibes that summer helps with recovery! I forgot to add the pics earlier, though didn't get out at a time w/o harsh shadows.

Here's a clump of things, Aglaonema, Homalomena, Alocasia. FINALLY making a new leaf (my fingers are holding it out of the way of the Hom.)

Backing up a bit, these are in front of a P. bip that I rescued a few yrs ago. It has really recovered, finally, over the past few months. I think I will leave this one in ground. Hopefully being adjacent to the carport will keep its' roots warm enough to stay alive over winter.

Another clump, which was almost fatally baked to death when the pot first went out for spring. Includes the P. bip you sent, EE, & the lime Pothos. The other thing to the R is supposed to be Epipremnum amplissimum. If I can stop abusing it so much, it should be cool eventually. The too-light colored leaf to the right is some kind of Hoya. Don't remember if you sent that, or someone else. It's vacillating between suicide & recovery... Maybe the pecan tree has enough juglone to bother that. About a foot away is the trunk of that.

Some of these things could stand to have a bit more distance between them, but I've been afraid to disturb again so soon. If not sooner, they will be potted up more appropriately for winter.

• Rhamel Bynum
    8 years ago

I'm loving this photography!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Thanks Teen!

Purp,..I know what you mean about messing with 'em too much...I'm guilty of it too.

Juglone in such proximity would give me pause...I'd be a nervous nelly were it me. Hopefully everything will be okay. I'm certain I sent a piece of my hoya,but the piece you are talking about isn't the same sort. I may have sent another type as well but I'm not entirely sure. Is everybody getting enough shade? I know you like to push the boundaries when it comes to lighting.

Everything's looking pretty good there Purp. Pretty as always! :)

And thanks for the good vibes,..they are much needed! lol

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked asleep_in_the_garden
  • asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

On an additional note,you've cleared up a curiosity of mine...the philo bip that you you had before the one I sent had confused me somewhat. You see,I had somehow been under the impression that it was the one I sent,and was blown away by how much it had already grown. Was beginning to think you had made some kind of deal with the devil or something! lol

By the way,..I don't imagine you still have any of that pink syngonium left,do you? I've got one piece left that's doing okay,but isn't growing as quickly as I'd hoped...it's just kind of sitting there with one slightly abused looking leaf to show for me. I recently put it out front directly from being in a terrarium,so although humidity has come down,light has gone up. If you don't have any more to send me,I suppose I can pot it in with the regular syngies. It would become a curiosity,especially to the untrained eye...to see some pink leaves showing up randomly among the regular variegated variety.

Still trying to figure out what a reasonable wish list would be comprised of. Anything down there that just wants to hop in a box and head north?

Original Author
    8 years ago

That would have been devilishly fast growth if that was the same Philo! LOL!

I will assess the Syng. situation & get back to you on that. Those plants do seem to be stunted for some reason. The mixed pot idea sounds cool! I should have some extra stuff in general in the fall. Right now, everything's being used to decorate & fill all of the spots where I've smothered & dug up grass.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

When you mentioned a wish list,I think I got the wrong impression...sorry about that! :)

Digging up the grass to make beds sounds awesome.

I think after I move to wherever I'll head to next when the means become available,I will have to set up a raised bed in a shady spot,and just plant most of my potted plants in it to let them go wild. If I end up back on the gulf coast,they might just be capable of staying there all year if I can rig a little hoop house to it and heat it with ambient heat from a container of water with an aquarium heater in it. I remember how my room was always warmer and more humid during colder months when I had a tropical fish tank set up in there. Gulf coast winters are pretty mild as you no doubt know all too well!

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

I hope this isn't rude, but I've been sitting here reading this thread and enjoying the pics for hours now...call me a lurker ;)

I have always loved plants, but besides having a gorgeous garden at our house, which was foreclosed on eight years ago, and the occasional houseplant, I never really reached beyond that. Now, I would say, with about 10 different plants right now, I'd still call myself a beginner. Although, at this point, I'd also say plants have become my hobby.

I am in awe of all the beautiful plants you've posted...and ultimately sitting here, jealous as ever, because I want some clippings too! Lol

I just started, about two months ago, rooting my pothos.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Bethany Cousins
  • Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

I don't know why it started typing funny...anyway, rooting pothos right now, but can't afford to buy plants due to having 9 children. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably buy some here and there along the way, but I have gotten so much joy watching my "babies" grow. I've bought all mine as babies, as you know 4 inch pots cost way less than 12 inch pots, etc.

Thank you for sharing all your pics, I hope you don't mind me cutting in here...I have really enjoyed this entire convo! Keep the pics coming!!!

And I'll share some next time I post, as well. :)

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Grrr not the best pics...and they're sideways!!!!

Ok I give up posting pics. Lol

The pics you see above, all of the plants were sickly and on clearance when I got them. The dracaena marginata had little growth, no new growth coming in, and brown leaves. The begonia (I prefer indoor plants, but do plan to overwinter this one) had dead blooms and saggy, sad looking leaves, The impatient...blooms were dead and stuck to the saggy leaves...and that pothos...I want like as many different kinds of those as possible!!! It had browning leaves...all of them were screaming "take me home!"

Truth is, I didn't really expect any of them to do much of anything. I figured I would have to cut them all back, but some heavy pruning and a change of soil and some watering and sun, they all seem to be really happy!

I feel so stupid about my plants...oh yeah and I have a Venus fly trap....it's tiny, but I've had it for 3 months now and it's still alive!

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

I realize not only did I forget to finish my thought about feeling stupid about my plants, I also hijacked this thread. I'm so sorry!

I'll finish quick...aand then shut up. I truly do love each and every one of my plants. I visit and inspect each one of then every day, I talk to my kids and husband about them, and, by the way, I use them for excuses to talk about photosynthesis and parts of a plant with my children.

I'm also thinking of starting a small herb and veggie garden. Ok I'm done.

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

No...one more thing (lol)...Asleep...you posted green leaves with pink and another one green with red leaves, what are those? I am intrigued!!! I have a small Anthurium that's evolving nicely. That's the only color indoors that I have. It's about a foot tall.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Asleep, I can see where my question could have been misunderstood. My bad! But I'm more than happy to share in a few months, and normally now would be fine too, just using every bit of plants for tropical wannabe landscaping. I don't have funds to buy hardy plants, most of which bore me anyway. There's hope for the pink Syngonium, though I forgot to take pics. Will try to get with the program & show you what they're doing.

Hi Bethany! I really enjoyed your contribution & pics very much! TY so much for the kind compliments. So many people got foreclosed back in those days, same here, just a few yrs longer ago than yours. Oh well, we'll all be taking the exact same stuff with us in the end - none of it! If the greedy A-holes want to gather up & hoard everything on this earth, even crappy little houses they would never lower themselves to live in, us regular folks will keep doing what we've always done, all of the hard work of keeping things going, living a real life where people are more important than "what's in your wallet?"

Great job on your rescued plants! Good vibes for continued success!

Speaking of Anthurium, I have a little one that I though was pretty much dead from bad light & getting too dry over winter, but it's coming back, maybe. I'll take a pic of it in the next day or 2.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Now Bethany,..don't be silly! You're not hijacking anything at all. Purp was the originator of this thread and she's a very welcoming sort(as you've no doubt noticed!).

I like your pics too btw! :)

After looking again at the pics I posted,I'm thinking that the plants in question are an aglaonema black cherry(sent to me a while back by Purp) and a fittonia that I started a few years ago from just a pinch of a cutting. There's also a shot of a persian shield cutting that isn't getting a lot of light so it isn't as purple as it could be...maybe that's one of the ones you were referring to?

Purp,in truth,I've no idea what the next few months will bring,so no pressure from my end of things. Hopefully by then I'll have more of a clue about what's going on in my little world. Without going into details,I suspect that many things are going to change...just don't know the exact what and when of it at the moment.

I'll keep you posted though. :)

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

So sweet! Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to know I'm not nutty - and that others share the type of love I have for my plants. I do have a croton that is giving me the blues...my kids have played in its soil and knocked it over several times, so that's probably 75% of the problem. The other problem I have is not enough indoor lighting for the houseplants that I really want.

I'd love a jade plant, tthen I'd also love to add a couple of the plants with pink or magenta on the leaves. Oh and a bromeliad (spelling?)...I would almost die for one of those! Lol

I've found that I enjoy growing the plants from "babies". It's almost like watching my children grow and flourish. And I find it so amazing how most plants can be on their last leg, but as long as their roots are still good, can come all the way back to life!

Nice to meet you all, I'll try to contribute as much as I can in the forum. I'm an avid researcher and have been researching plants for years now. And while I still call myself a beginner, if people ask about the plants I've had or currently have, I should be able to help a bit. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Awesome!

Good to have you here,and yes you're nutty...we all are,so you're in good company. lol

As to broms,there are many many kinds to choose from. You could spend days researching them and drooling all over your keyboard. ;)

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hiding in the pot on the left, I found one of these silly little Syngoniums.

Then I remembered where the rest of them are, there's 3 in this old grill I hung as a planter:

They're improving a lot, filled the grill with ground dirt.

Here's that Anthurium. Have you seen anything so pitiful before? Believe it or not, this is a huge improvement, it only had the 1 damaged leaf in March. If it ever gets peppy again, it should really be something...

From a diff angle, showing the 1 bad leaf:

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Haha Asleep, as far as the crazy part, the nine kids had that long ago, I think the plants are more of my rehab. And broms....I know. I'm in love. I will have one or more one day!

Tiffany (a.k.a. Purp? Lol), I am truly jealous! Oh but that old grill idea? I'm stealing that! We just got a new grill and I have 1 just like the one in your pic that's free for the taking for projects! I am so jealous though! You have some gems growing! And the Anthurium looks like it's trying to grow new leaves at the bottom. Time will tell....

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Why are my pics coming out sideways???? This baby had about 2 leaves and 1 "bloom" It's set by my front door where it gets indirect sunlight on the northern part of the house. Apparently it loves it!

Would it be easy to propagate and how would you all go about that? I'd love another one!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Hey Purp,that pic actually looks better than the white flowered one that when I first got it looked awesome. It's withered down to something that would very much like to have even a single leaf right about now. I'll spare you the agony of looking at it. lol

Bethany,the sideways pics are a common enough phenomenon around here. I think it has something to do with uploading them from a phone,but I'm not really certain about that.

Really healthy looking plant ya got there! As to propagation,I suspect I know what I would do were it mine,but it would be a brutal chop and the host plant wouldn't look very pretty afterward...at least for a while. I'd get up under an aerial and slice off the top and then get that aerial into a small pot of pre-moistened mix,followed by bagging it or putting it into a terrarium so it wouldn't dehydrate while working on turning that root into something more capable of anchoring the whole thing in place.

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

I was afraid you were going to say that, Asleep. Haha its exactly what I was thinking. My husband seems to be quite fond of it as is, I'll probably just wait for a little while longer. It's growing leaps and bounds, I checked it out this morning and that awkward looking loop in the middle of the picture disappeared overnight. It's now standing straight up with either a new leaf or spathe. I'm not sure which one yet. This plant is INCREDIBLE!

I got a tiny baby spider plant that is actually 3 baby plants in one container and it's literally growing overnight too! And I'm wondering if it has to do with turning the air conditioning off at night. I have the dehumidifier set at 70% and hear it click on and off sporadically, so I believe the humidity in the house is around 70%, or just under.

Yes, I upload images direct from my phone. Someone needs to fix that!

I have to admit, I just spent an hour or so looking back through the pics here. I studied every single picture. And, I am so excited! I have been limiting myself to the plant pots and store bought soil that I have, but after looking at your creative techniques, I now realize I can be using rocks and dirt from the yard and garden as well as sour cream and cottage cheese containers and empty pickle jars.

I have been limiting myself tremendously! I can't wait to get started on some of the little projects I've been thinking about! I'm amazed and at the same time feel like a big dope because here I'm waiting to be able to buy more supplies when I have everything I need in my yard and my kitchen.

I'm so glad I stumbled across you all. Lately, I've either been...um...drooling over pics of plants I wished I had...or researching in general on different plants. The plants I have don't keep me busy enough, but I have some great ideas for new projects now!!! The anthurium will have to wait and grow a little more, but I don't think it minds. I'd love to see it grow big and bushy...I've read taking a cutting will encourage more growth. And truthfully, I could care less about the spathes. The leaves are lovely without any spathes!

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Off topic...Asleep, you said you went through foreclosure. Did you ever buy again? I'd be interested in talking to you - possibly via email or whatever - about rebound buying.

And while I'm still here...here's a pic of what anthurium did overnight. If you scroll back to the 1st pic, you'll see that the odd looking triangle shape is now pointing out horizontally. Overnight! I wish I had a camera on it to see how it evolved!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Definitely a leaf coming on in that pic. Oh and yeah,I would agree with your husband about leaving it alone so it can grow bigger. I tend to propagate compulsively and sometimes to the detriment of the plant.

I wouldn't recommend using yard dirt in a container. The high peat content of the stuff I am usually limited to is bad enough as is. If a plant is in the ground,the soil breathes...which is to say that air circulates around the roots. When you put heavy mixes in a container,air has a harder time getting there,and roots need air as much as they need water. This is why it's a good idea to fluff up peat with other stuff like perlite that will make the mix more porous. Peat alone can turn to a muddy pudding that will suffocate your roots over time. This is what "overwatering" is,..and I tend to come dangerously close to it way too often. In short,I need to make better mixes. If you do a search for "gritty mix" you will find many threads that will better explain the point I'm trying to make.

Hey Purp...neglected to mention that those syngies are doing better than mine. I did in fact pot it in with the non-pink in the wee hours last night. Hopefully it's situation will improve.

Thanks for showing me yours...they be pretty. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

I just noticed that you posted again Bethany. That was Purp who mentioned the foreclosure thing,not me. :)

I think that correspondence here is made possible by "following" the member first,and then PMs become an option...or something like that.

Found a timelapsed anthurium vid,but sadly it's not showing what you wanted to see-

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Yes yes, that is my fear...hurting the main plant. So, this one will just keep growing til there's plenty and I don't have to worry so much.

I guess I shouldn't have said "dirt", I'm a girly girl but don't mine getting in the dirt...but should have used "soil" from the yard...i have an area behind the hostas that needs some foliage desperately but I just haven't gotten to it.

I'll have to dig up under the netting, but it's padded pretty good with soil. But, yeah, I've wondered if soil after being outside for a year or so is still ok to use for pots...I was thinking more of a 50/50 mix of what I have left in my bags and outdoor stuff, but wouldn't want to take chances. Thanks for the advice!

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Great, I'm already getting mixed up, lol. I'd still like to get an idea of what to expect from rebound buying a house. :)

Thanks for that vid, I just saw it. Wow, plants are just amazing!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

No worries.

...and yes!

Yes they are! :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Hey Purp,..just wanted to show you a quick pic of the hemigraphis you sent me a cutting of. I've cut it back twice now and set the trimmings in with the original-

I just moved it outside this morning because it's been raining out and the humidity is up. that should put less of a shock on it,as it was in a humidity trap previously. With any luck,now that it will be getting more light,it will purple up for me.

Likewise the wandering jew cuttings should start looking like what they are supposed to look like as well.

Barely any striping and no purple to speak of,but this will change.

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

When you say "outside" do you mean outside outside? Lol I'm just wondering if you worry about pests. I'm scared of putting anything outside even though I know quite a few of my plants would love the rain and humidity right now. I noticed some of my hanging baskets have spidewebs the other day. :(

Looks like your plants love it there though! They're beautiful

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Thank you Bethany! :)

I do indeed mean outside outside...I worry MUCH less about pests under these conditions. When your plants are inside(especially during the winter when they can't go out),your biggest problem can be that there are pests running unchecked by the predators that you won't typically have indoors with you. There have been times when I had scale and it was only getting worse no matter what I tried. When the day came that it was warm enough to put the infected plants back outside,"nature" took care of the problem within a week. If there is a spiderweb in a plant of mine,I leave it there. the reason a spider chooses to spin a web is usually because it has found a good place to catch prey...which might just be a pest. Spiders may be scary to some people but to the houseplant keeper,they are some of your best friends.

So a quick question...do you know what kind of spider you have? Maybe we could try to identify him. That would be fun.

Do the webs look like this? -

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Bump.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Getting any color on your WJ's yet? Is that the 'Snow White' or the purple Hemigraphis? I would think it's an Alternanthera w/o your description.

Here's an update on the Ficus you sent. It's really taken off!

It's in this group pot.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Ficus looks like it's really happy in there. Had a feeling they would perform a bit better down south in the land of Opp.

The WJ is coloring up a bit-

There's a bit more that I've been keeping inside in a big plastic jar thingy that I just recently moved outside so it too can get some color to it. I plan on fishing it out of there and potting it up in something after it's hardened off from the high humidity it's been enjoying for so long.

The hemigraphis is a snow white,or at least it was when I first got it. It's reverted a lot,but perhaps after going back outside it will whiten up a bit once more. I've been keeping it under an inverted gallon jar which fits in the plastic thing you see it in here-

Hmmmmm....next post then.

Pic doesn't wanna load(go figure)!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

I've been cutting it back and sticking the cuttings back in with the host plant. When I had it in a double decker terrarium,it was reaching all the way up all leggy and stuff. Obviously in need of MUCH more light that it's been getting. Last time I tried to put it out front,it started wilting really badly so I took it back in and put the jar back over it. Firmed right back up. Problem now is gonna be weening it off the humidity it is so used to. Probably have to bag it and gradually open the bag bit by bit over time...heck...might even do that today. :)

Here's what it's been used to for a while now-

Original Author
    8 years ago

So sorry, I called it the wrong thing, not Alternanthera. Pseuderanthemum! No longer in my inventory. That looks great!

http://www.costafarms.com/plants/purple-pefection

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

You did send me an alternanthera though. sadly it fell to pieces. :(

SOOOO it's a pseuderanthemum and not a hemigraphis! That explains the lack of waffling!

All this time I thought it was something I was doing wrong! LOL

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

...oh and thanks for the compliment :)

...the little "say thank you" thingy wasn't there this time for some reason.

Original Author
    8 years ago

I think that's only there for the person who first starts a discussion. And YW! Sorry I didn't come up with the right name before. And LOL, if it starts waffling, be vewwy afwaid! Even if it's not with me, I'm SO happy that lives on. If memory is working now, I lost that to putting in ground too early, cold/wet, surprise late frost. Lesson learned. Whatever you're doing, keep doing!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Once I get enough of it going,I can send you some back if you like.

I fully intend to cut it back and root it repeatedly 'til hell freezes over. ;)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Quick question,Purp...did you ever get that bugleweed(ajuga reptans)in the ground,or is it still in a pot..?

Inquiring minds and all that muck. ;)

Original Author
    8 years ago

Um, the truth is best, I guess, since it's not forgotten. I actually thought I'd killed it, by plucking it out, but it's growing back. If it wants to live so badly, I'll find a spot for it. :) I know bees/butterflies do love the blooms. Can u forgive?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

That shouldn't be a problem.

Forgiving you is easy as pie dear Purp.

When you figure out where you want to put it,do keep in mind that it is going to spread like a carpet over time.

Got a pic of what's left?

I can take it. :)

Original Author
    8 years ago

TY, TY! Soon!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Sounds good!

Looking forward to it!

At some point today(if I remember) I'll post a pic of the mother clump's progress. Once established they do tend to ramble. :)

Original Author
    8 years ago

Under the Alocasia & Ag, which are under tree Philodendron...

Is a little Ajuga with a real will to live!

(The whitish spots are rain-splashed sand.) The African mask seems to be making a **3rd** leaf. Amazing! The spider mites these (Philo, Ag, Alo) seemed to have over winter are gone.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

You don't know it yet,but that little guy is gonna eat your yard. ;)

I have fond memories of mom's old culture that she took from place to place. Who needed a lawn when you could have a whole yard full of bugleweed?

It's such a great groundcover and I'm so pleased that it survived. :)

Wonder how much more it will grow this year for you...actually wonder if it will stop growing even after winter arrives. Down in Opp the lows cant be too bad 'round wintertime,can they?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Chalk your pest remedy up to nature's little predators. No doubt something came along and wiped them out.

What do you think?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I think predators ate them, and the humidity eliminates the worry about SM's for outside plants for most of the year here. I only ever see them on inside plants/while plants are inside, and they've disappeared from every plant that had them, that was taken outside, over the yrs. Now that I know to keep them from actually killing plants while they are inside, by rinsing/wiping them off occasionally, SM's aren't something that concerns me much. It is a bummer though the way the stippling pattern on leaves can't heal, even after they are gone.

You're right that I'd rather have a huge patch of Ajuga (or anything else that doesn't need to be mowed) vs. any kind of grass. In the spring, I'll give it a spot to start doing exactly that - being an alternative lawn plant. My goal is to get rid of every blade of grass here, eventually, somehow...! Life's too short to keep mowing the same stupid invasive exotic plants, just because that's what everybody else does, and NOT spending $ on gas to run the mower would leave more $ to buy "good" plants. IDK why that didn't occur to me about this plant sooner, vs. being concerned about it overtaking a "flower bed." I'll chalk it up to burgeoning senior moments.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Oh Purp!

...you mustn't say things like that!

Folks our age are NOT seniors yet...and if we are...you are cordially invited not to remind me. ;)

Your "lawn" was actually what I had in mind when I put that sucker in the box...knowing how you feel similarly about the cookie cutter lawns that most labor to maintain.

Spidermites haven't really presented much of a threat over the years so much as scale. Seems I find a few at some point just about every winter. Whatever I do at that point usually doesn't faze them so I stare at the calendar hoping spring will get here sooner than expected just so I can shove the plants outside.

You wouldn't by chance have drawn up a map of your yard as a planner for your long range ideas,would you?

...if so I'd love to see 'em.

If you haven't gotten around to it yet,that's okay and all,but somehow I can see you already having something drawn up. :)