Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markplow

'Love Plant' (Kalanchoe pinnata???) failing to thrive

markplow
11 years ago

About eight months ago I received a leaf of a "love plant" as a gift. Based on what I can find, I believe the technical name for this is Kalanchoe Pinnata. I was told the leaf would sprout plants. I placed the leaf on some soil and kept it moist and after a while it sprouted some offspring. I have been trying to take good care of it since it has started, but it just isn't "taking off". My mother started a plant from another leaf at the same time in very similar conditions and it easily 3-4 times the size and much heathier in appearance. I have uploaded a photo of how it appears today. Below are some notes.

- Early on, the young plants did get beat up when I accidentally left it out during a hard rain, but it seemed to reasonably recover from this in a few days and has grown substantially since then.

- It is in a 6" clay pot.

- The plant is about 2" tall at this point.

- The leaves show signs of "distress" in my opinion, but I am not sure why.

- I have given it some water soluble house plant fertilizer (Miracle Grow) about every month.

- I can't really give specifics on the soil. I believe it is a mix of "recycled" potting soil from previous annuals I have grown. I typically add a little organic matter (manure, etc.) when I re-use soil like this and haven't had an issue with other plants I am growing.

- I have tried more and less watering, but can't seem to find one way or the other that helps.

- I have tried it in an East and a West facing window. I live in a townhouse so this is all I have to offer. Either way it gets aroung 6 hours of direct or nearly direct sun per day. I am afraid to put it outside as we are gettting some strong storms frequently this summer and I am not always home to bring it in. I am afraid it is still a bit weak to take this.

- We keep our house at a constant ~71 deg F.

- There are no vents or other sources of drafts near either location it has been.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I am tempted to change the soil, but am hesitating as I am a bit afraid to further stress the plant at this point.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (4)