Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White spots on dieffenbachia plant

Posted by Ateems none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:01

Hi,

Does anyone know what are these white spots on my dieffenbachia plant (please see attached images)? I spray the leaves with water every day but these do not look like water spots. They are not sticky but chalky so I wonder if they are mealybugs. I sprayed the leaves with soapy water once but it did not seem to help.

I don't see any bugs on the plant. These spots mostly appear around the edges on the front of the leaves. I also saw a few thin white streaks on a stem. The plant otherwise looks healthy. I have only had it for the last 3 weeks.

Should I be worried about this?

Thanks,
Ateems

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White spots on dieffenbachia plant

Attaching another image.

o

My first thought is mealy bugs, others will come along and give you great advice.

o

Thanks for your response Christine. I will wipe them alcohol today and see if it helps.

The fact that they are not sticky but powdery made me think this was not a mealybug infection but I might be wrong.

o

To me that look like calcium marks from hard water....if they aren't fuzzy they aren't mealys

o

I agree with calcium. It looks very healthy, just watch its health...

o

• Posted by Ateems California 9b (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 1:56

Thanks a lot for your responses. I am relieved to know that these are just calcium deposits. I have stopped spraying the leaves with water to see if these go away.

o

They won't "go away "....you'll need to remove the spots. Take a soft sponge or cloth lightly moistened in warm soapy water, place one hand under the leaf to fully support it and gently rub the top with the moist cloth.

Stop misting your plants....it doesn't really benefit them in a meaningful way but can cause problems like this or worse. Give them a real shower (in the shower) every once in awhile.

o

Hey rhizo..how are ya😃 sorry I'm not here more often.

o

• Posted by Ateems California 9b (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 1:10

Thanks for your response Rhizo. I wiped the leaves and have not misted them in the last few days. They look better now, no white spots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here