Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying hanging plants - Lipstick, Wandering Jew

Posted by HopperGoLightly none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 17:11

I'm quite frustrated and could use some advice. I recently bought three indoor hanging baskets. One is a Wandering Jew, another is a Lipstick plant and I'm not sure what the third is. They were all healthy when they came in and now I'm losing all three.

The lipstick plant is dropping all it's leaves at an alarming rate. Some are turning black or brown and then falling off, but the majority are seemingly healthy green leaves. I have a North facing window with not a lot of light. I have removed the dead leaves and straggling branches. The soil is moist, but not overly wet. The top of the soil is covered in a what looks like a white fungus. I have recently treated all my plants with Bug Be Gone due to an infestation of gnats. I do not think this plant has been infected, yet it is dying. Any thoughts, suggestions?

The Wandering Jew is managing somewhat better in the same window, but many of the leaves are turning crispy and dying. I'm trying to mist both plants daily.

I have 9 plants right now that are not doing well and I'm very upset. I feel like I'm losing my friends! Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying hanging plants - Lipstick, Wandering Jew

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 18:03

I did a quick search for Bug Be Gone, and all I could find was a lawn insecticide (granules) and an aqueous solution of essential oils, which may very well be phytotoxic (unsafe for plants). Tell us more about the insecticide. From your other post, I'm getting the impression there may be problems on multiple fronts.

Al

o

We would like to hear about your potting mix, watering practices, and any other information you can give us. The more information we have, the better we are able to help you.

So, which product DID you use, Bug Be Gone (the repellent), or
Bug B Gon, the outdoor lawn and landscape pesticide? Neither is appropriate for fungus gnats.

Anyway, so sorry for the problems you're having.....let's see if we can get to the bottom of it.

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb.

Don't know anything about lipstick plant, but the Tradescantia (wandering Jew) might be easier to revive by taking cuttings rather than trying to worry about the roots. Do you have pictures of these plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here