Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi Al! I'm Not Finding The Post...

Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 17:27

...where I think I say your (1) outside galactic plant table (2) possibly the plans for same. I've got a powerful hankering to build something similar for my plants (for next year's outside growing season, because this one's almost over). Can you share them with me?

Thank you very much,

Jeff

The below is what's cobbled together from old saw horses and boards, but if there's one thing I like more than plants, pots and top dressing, it's permanent outdoor plant infrastructure. Much obliged for the assistance.

DSC09367

Follow-Up Postings:

o
And I can't proof either

....where I think I saw your....

o
RE: Hi Al! I'm Not Finding The Post...

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 20:44

Here's a couple of pictures that sort of reveal how they go together.

Construction materials:

- Pre-formed poly-planks in 12 & 16" widths (but I can tell you how to use treated lumber in lieu of if ur interested)
- 4x6 posts
- 2x4 bracing
- 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 3/16 angle iron
Quikrete
various length #10 plated deck screws

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Al

o

Those poly planks would likely be quite expensive, particularly up here (where everything's more), so, yes, please, the wooden treated planks - treated fir up here isn't too expensive and I've got about 1000 #10 plated deck screws. I'm guessing the angle iron would be along the spine only?

Thanks again - that's just wonderful arrangement, both in terms of structure and content.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 20:39

You can see how the superstructure keeps everything level. All you need to do is make sure your posts are plumb and an appropriate distance apart. In the US, the angle iron comes in 16" lengths, so I'm guessing you'll have it available in 5 or 6m lengths and prolly 4x4x.5 or .6 cm. Instead of using the poly-planks, just space the angle iron with the open parts facing (like opposing capital 'L's) to whatever width/depth you'd like your 'shelves' to be (30-60 cm?). Then lay the pieces between the angles with appropriate spacing (3-5 cm?) between to allow for free drainage and air flow.

With the materials on-hand, you could easily build 3 of the 5-6m set-ups pictured in a day or two. DO make sure the posts are set well below frost line. Mine are more than 10 years old & show no signs of deterioration yet. I climb around on them all the time when I need to.

Al

o

Al,

How considerate of you and your metric ways (I'm slowing getting used to it, but I grew up in the US and am still functioning most of the time in that setup)! And for the most part, BC is less stringent than Quebec in going metric-only.

Yes, I do see and am enjoying imagining you crawling around on them (especially if they have plants on them at the same time). Do you have a picture of that you could share with us?

I think the frost line here is 1 m / 3 ft and I still have a very serviceable digging bar. The rest of the materials are certainly available and I know someone in the iron trade who can direct me to the rails.

Thanks again, Al.

Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here