Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wiccadgardener

Spider plant leaves

wiccadgardener
12 years ago

Some of my spider plant's leaves, instead of arching gracefully, bend? fold? crease? I'm not sure how to describe it. It happens with the older, larger plants, the younger plants are fine, so I'm thinking it may be irregular watering (because the larger plants dry out faster, and at different rates).

I hope you can understand what I mean, it's not a major thing, they're healthy otherwise. They just don't look as good as they could.

Comments (10)

• elkay_gw
    12 years ago

I have this problem to some extent, also. Young plants are fine, but a few leaves on the older, larger plants bend in half. I thought it was from damage, like bumping into the plant or the plant falling - or just the weight of the long leaf causing it to bend. Maybe if the plant WAS watered properly it COULD support the weight and not bend. I'm sure I'm guilty of not always watering like I should. Hmmm. Hope someone knows.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Needs more sun.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

I second, needing more sun.

Are mature leaves as thick as they were when you first got your Spider? If not, it's a light and humidity problem. If the air is dry, spray once a day. Tepid water is best..especially for watering soil. Toni

• grace_m
    12 years ago

I notice this on my Ponytail palm leaves. I definitely under water it. I wonder is it's the same.

Pirate's reply about it happening when she grows spiders hydroponically has me scratching my head though.

• diana_rose61
    6 years ago

I actually knocked my spider plant over and bent/creased many of the leaves. Will they recover or should they be cut off?

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    6 years ago

Diana, they'll stay creased, but it will stay green unless the crease is bad enough to cut off the flow of fluids so that the end of the leaf dies. A living leaf provides energy to the plant, but if it drives you crazy you can cut it off.

Grace, the same thing happened to my ponytail palm after it got so dry that the caudexes got soft and was deprived of light all winter (I'd misunderstood some advice). It got to the point where more leaves 'kinked' every time I moved the pot at all.

When I posted about it Al said the problem was a combination of low turgidity from underwatering and weak leaves from the lack of light. Now that I've revived the caudexes by soaking the pot a few times and have given the plant its own light it seems to have stabilized. It'll go outside after repotting, and I'm crossing my fingers that better light will help it grow enough new healthy leaves to mask the kinked ones, because they still make me feel guilty.

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

I have taken a straw and cut it to a half an inch and sliced right thru it, using it as a sleeve where the leaf is bent, and it has worked. Eventually I can remove and have a normal leaf again.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Yes, this happens sometimes when the plant is unevenly watered. Ime, it has more to do with watering than light. I have a few spider plants in dark places, and with proper watering, their leaves arch correctly.

when they need water, the leaves start to crease. However, if you resume watering properly (as someone said above), eventually they will stand up again.

I would still be mindful of watering them, though. Too much can cause the roots to rot quickly. It might be best to get them on a long term plan of recovery, meaning water thoroughly (maybe increase light too), let plant get close to dry, water thoroughly again, and repeat. Moving it to higher light would be good in this case since you are increasing the watering anyway. After about three rounds, it will perk right up.

also, make sure you let it drain completely after the watering before putting it back. They do not like sitting in wet soil for a long time.

A tiny bit of fertilizer will help, too.

These plants rebound beautifully from pretty much any problem except root rot:).

• HU-91517124
    3 years ago

Will the leaves stay that way once they bend like that?

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals