Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider plant leaves

Posted by wiccadgardener z8 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 17:42

Some of my spider plant's leaves, instead of arching gracefully, bend? fold? crease? I'm not sure how to describe it. It happens with the older, larger plants, the younger plants are fine, so I'm thinking it may be irregular watering (because the larger plants dry out faster, and at different rates).
I hope you can understand what I mean, it's not a major thing, they're healthy otherwise. They just don't look as good as they could.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider plant leaves

I have this problem to some extent, also. Young plants are fine, but a few leaves on the older, larger plants bend in half. I thought it was from damage, like bumping into the plant or the plant falling - or just the weight of the long leaf causing it to bend. Maybe if the plant WAS watered properly it COULD support the weight and not bend. I'm sure I'm guilty of not always watering like I should. Hmmm. Hope someone knows.

o

I've recently returned to growing Spider plants after a long absence. I grow one in Hydro & see this happen a bit too, so don't know that it's about proper watering. I just break it off at the fold, or if unsightly, remove the whole leaf.

I grew a large one years ago, but don't recall this problem. I never thought about it, but really don't know what causes it. Sorry, but it IS an interesting question.

o

Needs more sun.

o

I second, needing more sun.

Are mature leaves as thick as they were when you first got your Spider? If not, it's a light and humidity problem. If the air is dry, spray once a day. Tepid water is best..especially for watering soil. Toni

o

I notice this on my Ponytail palm leaves. I definitely under water it. I wonder is it's the same.

Pirate's reply about it happening when she grows spiders hydroponically has me scratching my head though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here