Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Looks can be deceiving ..........

paul_
10 years ago

In another post, a member had commented on a potted "palm" or "cycad" in the background of a photo. I admit to finding the error amusing. My amusement by no means should be taken as a sign of a lack of respect for that member -- I know that person has had quite a plethora of plants over the years. Rather, I found it amusing because of how often I have heard similar comments regarding said plant from both newbies and experienced fellow plant-heads alike. In fact, the main reason I grow it is because of its appearance. So without further adieu (or even telling you what it actually is) I present said plant to you:

{{gwi:99639}}

I'm sure there are at least a few of our widespread community who will know what it is on sight. I thought it might be fun to see how long it takes for a positive ID to be made.

Comments (18)

• cr491
    10 years ago

Is it a poinsettia? Just a hunch from the shape of a couple of the leaves in the middle. Google isn't doing much to help me; the only leaves it's pulling up are either red or glittery and plastic.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Without further 'ado', it's the vegetative stage of one of the Amorphophallus. It's not the least bit surprising that few people would be able to identify this plant, especially from the images provided.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    10 years ago

I love that its name means "misshapen penis."

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

come on, just look at aroids forum, all they talk about is what you got ...:)
    but to be fair, I've never seen it until last year, here in aroids forum.
    it's a beauty. if I had suitable outdoor space, i'd grow it too:).

This post was edited by petrushka on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 20:16

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rhizo! I knew that spelling of 'adieu' did not look right but the brain would just not cough up the reason why at the time.

Oh and, Rhizo, I wasn't referring to the photo in the other thread being the reason for common misidentification on the larger scale -- I was referring to both photos focusing on the actual plant as well as folks who have seen it in person.

Petruska, I can't remember the last time I hopped on that forum, but I figured there had to be some folks who were into aroids ... not to mention members who live in areas where these are common plants.

So few more shots:
    Amorphophallus riverii 'Konjac'

one of the corms with its attached cormlets

{{gwi:99640}}

as the leaf unfurls

{{gwi:99641}}

{{gwi:99642}}

{{gwi:99639}}

and a close-up of part of the petiole

{{gwi:99643}}

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

The correct name is Amorphophallus konjac. Has a very impressive inflorescence .... in more ways than one.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

...I have 'bunch' of them too, not as "old" as yours yet.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

another, differently shaped leaves:

• florauk
    10 years ago

rina_ your aroid with 'different leaves' looks like Dracunculus vulgaris, not Amorphophallus.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The leaves and spotted petioles are interesting, striking, but I just don't have any desire for a plant that makes a 'smelly penis' flower. And I have a taste for the unusual, pun definitely NOT intended!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Paul, nice images of the corm and growth of your plant. Love the texture of the the stem.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Paul, I remember the thread, and I was the guilty party. :)

First, I have to say, your Amorophallus is a beaut.

From a distance, I couldn't make out your plant. Main reason is my eyesight. Getting old sux. lol

I bought glasses for the computer, but they make me dizzy, so they're sitting on the table collecting dust.

Would you happen to recall the name of the other thread?

Hope, one day my Amorph will look as pretty as yours. Toni

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rina, definitely agree with Flora ... that second one is not an Amorphophallus. Dracunculus vulgaris would be my bet, too. Another neat "stinky" in any event. Love the deep red of the flower that one gets (though have never seen them in person).

Also, Rina, if you put your Amorphophallus in a sunnier location next summer, you will get a much thicker, sturdier petiole -- though it will also be much shorter. Mine sits on a unobstructed SW facing balconey. It gets direct sun from around 7-8am to about 2pm and my balcony gets hot enough to burn bare feet. Just thought I'd mention it in case you'd be interested.

â¢Posted by tropicbreezent
    The correct name is Amorphophallus konjac.

TB. From what I have seen, A. riverii 'Konjac' is also used as is A riverii (the latter being considered a synonym) -- though I do not know which nomenclature came first and therefore would take precedence .

â¢Posted by hopefulauthor
    Paul, I remember the thread, and I was the guilty party. :)

That's okay, Toni. I certainly wasn't the least bothered by it. As I mentioned, I just thought it was amusing because of how often I have heard comments like that. It is very common.

Oh and the original post was about my Dracaena with possible chloriosis.

Posted by purpleinopp
    The leaves and spotted petioles are interesting, striking, but I just don't have any desire for a plant that makes a 'smelly penis' flower. And I have a taste for the unusual, pun definitely NOT intended!

No reason you have to let it bloom, Purp. Seriously. Got my original corm from the parents of a buddy of mine. They let theirs bloom once just to see what the flower would be like. That was also the last time, as I recall. heh They still have a bunch of Amorphos but they cut off any flower stalk and just grow them for the foliage. (That's why I grow it too.) For that matter, it really takes a fairly long time (at least in my conditions) for a corm to get large enough to flower. The one pictured in my hand is still too small to flower -- and that corm is about 4yrs old.

Oh and since you mentioned liking the unusual, I'll add that what you are looking at, Purp, are not "leaves" but one single leaf and the entire "trunk" is the leaf petiole. This single large leaf with all its little leaflets is all the corm produces during a growing season. Just a wee bit o'trivia for you.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Lol..Because of your beautiful plant Paul, I ordered a corm from Poland of all places..lol
    It was the only place on E-bay I could get one...

MIke

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Flora;
    thank you for the ID, didn't know the proper name. Now I read that they are hardy to zone 6, maybe even 5? Have to try one this winter.

Paul;
    thank you for all that info. Always interested! I have mine outside too, but not as much sun as you suggested. For some reason I always thought that they would burn in too much of direct sun. This is first year I left mine in good sun, will try even more next year. BTW, what do you use to fertilize yours with?

Mike
    I wish I knew you want one, would have sent you a corm...
    Rina

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Paul, Amorphophallus rivierei and Amorphophallus rivierei var. konjac are both synonyms. The correct name is Amorphophallus konjac, check it out.

Meyermike, although too late now, they're very common in the US. Have a look on the Aroid Forum.

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by meyermike
    Lol..Because of your beautiful plant Paul, I ordered a corm from Poland of all places..lol
    It was the only place on E-bay I could get one...
    MIke

Ah Mikey , Mikey, Mikey.
    Like Rina, I could have simply given you one. I give away several each year for postage. The corms produce cormlets like tribbles.

Rina, yes Dracunculus very likely will be hardy in your zone -- particularly if you tend to get a significant snowfall to insulate the ground for the winter.

TB, I have checked but have never found a definitive site. If you know of one, please do post it.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Thanks, Paul!