Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Ponytail palm, what am I looking at here?

Got this a couple weeks ago. Never had one of these before and can't tell if these are bulbs or one woody entity? Going to repot soon, curious if they'll separate or not. This is one I think would look best as a single, lone plant in a pot.

{{gwi:99695}}

Comments (22)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

It looks like you have four plants in that pot, from what I can see. I bought a pot of these a while ago, and there were about a dozen little ones in one pot. Normally you see the larger ones potted singly. I have not divided mine yet, but of course this can be done.

Christopher

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning All,

Purple, a three-headed Beaucarnea/Ponytal.

Its leaves are so thick..much thicker than my guys.

Are you going to separate bulbs?

Ponytails are slow-growing, sun lovers.
    Bulbs hold water... PT is one plant that can't endure over-watering.

Purp, you found an unusual PT.

Hi Laura. How are you?
    Sounds like your PT is huge..What's its height? What about bulb size?

For someone who doesn't want duplicates, I have four. lol.
    One is in a bonsai pot. Two has redish leaves, 'in lots of sun.' Third, was bought at Walgreen's. It's in a small pot..the reason I bought it, 'besides being obsessed,' lol. It's one bulb w/three heads. Fourth is variegated.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting, thanks for the inputs! Usually an image search gets me ready to unpot a new plant, but I couldn't find any good pics for this one. I'm not going to dedicate 'potting soil' to 4 (there are 4, one's hiding back and to the left,) copies of this, so when I get an idea where to put the other 3, will get in there.

Sending to somebody (or 3) else would fix it. Also have Sans and Callisia fragrans that need a home or will be killed when frost comes. Will gladly send for postage or entertain trade proposals. PM me if interested.

So, if the leaves are hanging at a certain length, will they get longer? Does it need a deeper/taller pot than what's immediately necessary to keep the leaves in the air, not hitting the surface the pot is sitting on?

Variegated, I didn't need to know that, ohhh....

Isn't the little hitch-hiker cute? I think it's artillery fern?

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

why don't you just keep them growing together. it'll look much better, promise!
    they grow so-o-o! slow. it'll look just like an overgrown scallion for years...
    and they are like 'death valley' tolerant waterwise. i think sometimes i sprinkle a few tb of water on mine ...once a month, if! it doesn't care. eventually the bottom leaves will dry up, you can cut them or not.
    overall it looks kinda unusual and sculptural.
    I've had mine oh.. 20 years? it's about a foot (doubled!).
    of course, there are diff varieties, but... all ultra slow. like a cactus.
    here's mine (stand about 10" square for scale).

• eaksqueak
    10 years ago

One of my houseplant books (can't remember which, I have dozens) has a photo of a mass planting of ponytail palms that had been allowed to grow all over each other. It's a unique look... So for what it's worth, you could just leave them together.

Still, when I got my pot of baby pony tails at walmart, I decided to separate them...

{{gwi:99696}}

And here's the one I got at Ikea last year. I think they deliberately chop the top off so that it will grow multiple heads and make for a fuller look.

{{gwi:99697}}

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Purple.. I also like the look of your tree as one, but I also can see the desire to separate. I hear you about doubles... Lol. Good luck!!!

Tony.. Mine is about Nine feet tall and the Caudex is huge.. Put it this way, I couldn't wrap my arms around the base... LOL!!! I'm doing great!! How are you? Nice to see you.. I don't come over here that much, but always enjoy seeing everyone's post!!!

It is getting so large that I can't bring it inside anymore because it is way to heavy. So I have managed to move it with the help of my DH into the greenhouse. I'm afraid that it will have to be stored sideways this winter, so I have put out feelers to the Botanical Gardens here in Virginia. I would bareroot and transport. This summer, I root pruned this baby. If anyone wants to see.. I'll find the link...

Here is a pic..

{{gwi:29496}}

Purple... I all most forgot to mention about the leaves... They do get long and will grow longer than the container when it is placed on the table. You can trim them as I used to do or you can set it on a stand and let them hang down. I always gave mine a " haircut" to keep them even. The lower leaves will turn yellow over the season and I would just gently pull them off when the whole leaf turned yellow to the stem. The stem will continue to get taller. Kind of like exfoliating the leaves to get larger.

Have fun with your new Pony Tail!!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 0:50

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

e..squeak, can you do a close-up of top multi-crowns on that 2nd pic? I'm just curious how they split from the main trunk.
    may be you can move the leaves aside a bit to see the trunk clearly?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the inputs and options-suggestions! I'm stuck on wanting it to look like this. Is that a possible goal?

(Varouca Salt voice, "I want a blue palm pot Noooow!")

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Purple... Lol

If you ever get up my way, you can have one. I have one I'm not using.

It's yours... ;-)

Laura

• eaksqueak
    10 years ago

Here is a closeup of the Ikea ponytail palm.

{{gwi:99698}}

And for funsies, here is a ponytail palm I saw in Florida that was just part of the landscaping. It is slightly larger than mine.

{{gwi:99699}}

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

I love that!
    looks like ikea chopped the top off. I wonder how long it takes for new shoots to form? nice stuff!
    purple, that one is curly, yours is not.
    but anyway, you can split 1 and 3 and have it both ways.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Wow, that Florida one is NICE. I saw one down there, but not half as large as that...they are native to Mexico, I believe.

Hi Laura...So you want to get rid of your Ponytail? I know you just repotted it recently...How are you, by the way? I am leaving soon.

Christopher.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Man, that's cool! It gave me an idea too, combined with all the helpful info, suggestions. Both look cool, the multi-top, and the single. Petrushka's right, I couldn't decide.

(So why isn't mine curly? Being Beaucarnea recurvata isn't enough? Does it need a perm?)

I separated one to commandeer this pot of short creepers.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Laura, I'm on my way (in fantasy land, I'd love to see your place!!)

The 3 that were left (and the hitch-hiker) happened to fit exactly in the hole left when I pulled out the pot of Irish moss that some people may remember being in here, looked like a grass circle. Realized I think it looked dumb there, so don't know if I like this better, but if not, I'll change it next spring. (And no, the mini isn't progressing since my last post on it. It's on hold until monsoon season is over...)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Really like what you did with those Purp,..both hanging and mini look really neat. In the mini-garden,..it's like imagining the thing closer to mature...only in miniature,right? lol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Yeah, I figured it would kind of look like the pic of the 'real' one above, in this mini-landscape... in a few years?! LOL! IDK... just following my every whim, which is why I have these plants...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Somehow I keep imagining what it would look like with a tiny model cow skull or something,yaknow?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Too big?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

ZOINKS!

It's Bambi!

Where the heck you get that,Purp? LOL

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jinkies, I know rite! My daughter found it in the woods. I remembered I had it when u said that... surprised DH didn't notice when he came home for lunch.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hunger will do that to a guy! ;)

Oh and props on your hanna/barbara trivia skills...the peanut gallery(me)is suitably impressed!

So she found it in the woods did she?
    Always wondered what happened to bambi...can you account for your daughter's whereabouts about the time he disappeared?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County