Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fullshadejay

Cant identify this variegated houseplant.

Fullshadejay
10 years ago

Its more of a vine than a shrub. Probably close to 6 inches in height and spreads over a large area. Very beautiful. i picked it up from a random dealer only with the knowledge it would fair well indoors with little light. Now im curious as its classification nd how it should be cared for. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

it looks to me like vinca major variegata - it's an annual for outdoors. good as a trailer in hanging baskets.

• User
    10 years ago

Vinca is an evergreen perennial.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

And may be all green or variegated. If in a cold climate, it is grown as an annual or as a houseplant.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

It does look like Vinca, but the fullness of the pot... Could that look be achieved from seeds? No idea what else it might be, not disagreeing, just curious. On the left, one of the stems looks like it may have an aerial root.

I think it would be difficult to maintain that compact appearance for long, if that is a concern. Outside in total shade, the nodes are much farther apart. Low light inside would be exponentially less light than that. Curious to see how this does for you, if you are interested in coming back with an update at some time.

I've never seen Vinca sold as a houseplant when I lived in OH but it's hardy there, although not evergreen. The pots would always have 3-5 really long vines, never saw a pot of it that looked like that, or considered it for a permanent pot. It would make a lovely hanging basket, and looks great in the regular pot too, go figure. Fullshade, are you considering a hanging pot for this?

• User
    10 years ago

Probably better in a pot, in the ground it is weedy!

10 years ago

Yeah!

{{!gwi}}

10 years ago

Are you settled that it's Vinca, Fullshade?

• florauk
    10 years ago

I'm 99.99% certain that the plant in the pot is not Vinca major or VInca minor.

Is it definitely an indoor plant? And is it definitely a vine? It appears to have a terminal leaflet, possibly on pinnate leaves and is pretty similar to a variegated Polemonium. Maybe a post on the Name That Plant Forum would turn up an accurate id.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polemonium

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

Any chance it's a variegated hoya carnosa?

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

I agree that Jacobs ladder (polemonium) looks very similar, but the leaves are always very densely set. while vinca gets more and more space in between the nodes as it extends downward. which we do see in the pic.
    also Jacobs ladder is strictly outdoors. and the fronds are more upward in habit, while vinca tends downward.
    the density in the OP plant is rather unusual for vinca though. and I think its' not so easy to overwinter indoors, it gets buggy and it needs very good light.

• florauk
    10 years ago

I agree it is not necessarily Polemonium. That was just a suggestion. We only have the OP's say so that this is actually a house plant and at only 6 inches it is hard to determine that it is a vine.

The terminal leaflet (rather than buds) as well as the general appearance and texture preclude Vinca and Hoya imo.

More pictures would help. For example do any of the stems branch or are they all coming from a central point in the soil? If they branch Polemonium is out. And can you give a description of its texture. Are the stems soft or woody/fibrous?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Variegated China Doll is the first thing that came to my mind.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

no way it's a china doll! china dolls have very pointed tips and upright 'trunk' habit.
    but where do you see terminal leaflet in the pic? i can't make it out for sure. we need a close-up!

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

I think I do see a terminal leaf on the pic. I stuck the image into google search and it also came up with vinca major var.
    I also thought about peperomia , though the stems are much thicker and upright. but I found this image of
    pep glabella variegata that's a trailer. still, the stems don't look right.
    http://www.foliera.com/en/data-sheet1.php?serch=1&prod=378&txt=1#top

• florauk
    10 years ago

I am absolutely certain that this is not Vinca. I've marked the terminal leaflets I can see.

10 years ago

Aeschynanthus? Columnea? Aptenia?

Fullshade, if you're still around and feel like adding a pic of the stem(s), that could help a lot.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

that was the one and only post by OP, looks like we have more interest in the subject;).