Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, beautiful flowers falling off.

Posted by kipperk8 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 18:50

Hi everyone,
I'm afraid incredibly ignorant to all sorts of plant knowledge, so please excuse the stupid questions.
As you can see this plant is dying, this flower pod just fell off this evening. I'd left it by the window without water for about a week, stupid me, I know. It wasn't looking happy, but it wasn't quite dead. Over the past few days I've tried to rectify by keeping the soil moist, but I think I over-watered just this evening. I even put a tiny bit of honey in the water as I hear that can be good for reviving plants.
I came to find the plant very droopy. And this flower on the floor.
Have I killed it once and for all? Or is there something else I can do?
I tried to aerate the soil, as I hear this can be good. I fluffed it on top and then poked top layer with a toothpick.
I just hope it doesn't die. It would be such a shame.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, beautiful flowers falling off.

Appears to be an African Violet of some type
The things people are willing to believe that will help save a plant after hearing is known as" myth"
Example: Honey would clump the soil as it becomes dryer. I've no idea what roots would do in honey as they tend to like to stretch about and grow in moist to damp soil not thick, drying and clumping honey soil
Aeration may of helped but would think it needs to have all it's soil replaced chances are favorable you are going to loose any remaining buds and flowering when repotting

o

Any chance of seeing a picture of the whole plant?

o

I second an entire plant photo.

Toni

o

Sending good vibes to your plant! In the future, I might try one thing at a time. You did so many things, if one works, you/we will have no idea what helped or not. It may not be as serious as you think, no plant is intended to keep its' flowers forever, even if it constantly has some. The older ones will wither away as the new ones develop. The worst thing to do for a wilted plant, after giving it a single good drink, is to keep constantly watering it when it's not yet dry again. That won't help it hydrate faster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here