Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant id help. please!

Posted by alocasia_nanc 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 18:57

Got this at Lowe's. thought it was very interesting. the tag said "lemon butter fern". but when i went to do some research, the pictures looked nothing like my new friend. right now i have it planted in a terra-cotta pot. regular MG potting mix. good drainage. gets quite a bit of indirect sunlight. it has grown since i have gotten it, but the edges are getting a little brown (i think from too much sun). if i could get a definite id and some care tips that would be great!

thanks again!
nanc

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant id help. please!

I don't know ferns well but I think it's an Asparagus Fern.

Again, your MG soil may be an issue in the future.

Danny

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 21:26

Danny's right. ...... a good example though, of why common names can be so confusing when it comes to IDs. There are a number of plants, including this one, commonly called 'asparagus fern'. This one happens to be Asparagus plumosa.

Al

o

Thank you for the ID! Is there a fern board here? Or does anyone here know any good care tips about Aspergas ferns? Potting media? Water requirement? Light needs?

Thanks!
Nanc

o

I'm sure someone here can tell you how to care for it. but while you're waiting here's a link to the fern forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Fern Forum

o

Nanc, your plant is a Plumosa Fern--Asparagus Setaceus or Asparagus Plumosus.

Plumosa isn't a true fern..It's a relative of Asparagus, in the Lily family.

Unlike true ferns, Plumosa's don't need as much humidity, however they do best in cooler temps.

When small, they grow upright, but as they mature, 5-6', then tend to hang. They look best in a hanging basket or a small stand.

As youngin's, medium-bright light is preferred, but as they grow they do well in full sun.

Spraying fronds, especially during winter, keeps them from browning and perks them up.

It's a gorgeous plant, good luck, Toni

o

THANKS EVERYONE!!

got her all settled in a new home of soil and perlite. looked her up and i am SO glad she caught my eye and i bought her b/c she is going to be so pretty when she gets all big!!

o
whoops.

i just found the plant tag that game in this plant. they have it listed as: "lemon button fern" (nephrolepis cordifolia. talk about a miss label!

o

Sometimes shoppers put the tags back wrong after reading them. One wrong tag can't be blamed on anyone in particular. Glad you discovered the true identity of your plant.

o

purpleinopp, this could be the case if it happened once in awhile to one plant. but the place i get my plants from and work always have plants marked wrong. plants come in to the store marked wrong!

o

Alo, you should mention this to the manager..
When I think about all the poor customers who go home thinking they have a Spider Plant when it's really a Bromeliad, oh brother! lol

Most stores here who bother w/tags read, Foliage Plant. lol. No matter what type of plant it is, flowering or succulent, the tag says, Foliage Plant. lol.

Howdy Purple. Toni

o

A whole bunch of plants is a totally different matter than a single one, as I was referring to above. Frustrating, no doubt.

Hey, Toni. At least "foliage plant" is accurate!

o
RE: Purple Heart

Purple, lol.

Monday I'll be heading to the PO. Remember I asked if you wanted, I think, Purple Heart? Was it Purple Heart?
Anyway, did you want any? Please let me know before Sunday. Thanks, Toni

o

Oh Toni,

Are you really going to the PO this coming Monday? If so, you'll be very lonely as they'll be closed (Labor Day - Federal holiday). Just so you know.

Karen (waving)

o

Karen, lol. I know, I know..it'd be a hell-of-a-wait until the first employee showed up.............Tuesday morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here