Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

Surgery successful :) ....and new plants!

auron22
10 years ago

Just thought i'd make a little update. Not very active on forums anymore because i'm increasingly getting busier and that makes it easier to forget to come here. Had a male breast reduction done and it turned out fine.

In other news.....2 new plants!

NOID pinguicula. My eccentric brother is already interested in the pups....he's more into carnivorous/cacti/succulent plants.
{{gwi:99832}}

Pelargonium crispum 'French lace'. Cant' wait till this one grows bigger and I start using it in cooking/teas and share cuttings. Kept me entertained for a solid hour fondling leaves and sniffing the lemon scent.lol
{{gwi:99834}}

Comments (15)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Congrats on the procedure Auron!

Nice job on the plants too. LOL@your fondling the pelargonium. Currently don't have one but sooooo know what you mean.

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you asleep :)
    Hopefully it's not too slow of a grower, next year I could mail a cutting to you. Unless there is enough there right now for a cutting...I don't know. Trying to find information on pelargonium cuttings and growth rate. I think EVERYONE should try growing at least one kind of scented geranium.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes, I'd love to find another - or 10. You might also like Plectranthus, like Cuban oregano and some of the highly-scented others. Very fragrant & pretty leaves. No idea what the top plant is, but it's cute. Is it making pups at the edges?

Glad you're recovering well from your surgery!

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple,
    it's a carnivorous plant. I thought it was very cute as well :) It's making several pups. So far I've counted 4. This plant might multiply rapidly. It has two sets of leaves, non carnivorous like what the pups have, and carnivorous leaves that emerge in the summer. It's coated with a sweet smelling "glue" (I can't smell it, but I guess bugs can.lol). People say it makes quick work of smaller insects like fungus gnats. It's supposed to flower as well, looks like wild violet flowers.
    Example. (I don't own the pic)

Edit: thx :)

This post was edited by Auron22 on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 8:20

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

In spite of how long it's been since I've had one, pelagoniums,..cool as they are,..have never done too well in my care. If you would extend the kind gesture to Purp(who I trust far more than myself with such a plant) in my place,that would be for the best.

Your brother must be an interesting fellow...I've had vfts and pitchers in the past,but never a butterwort....really cool stuff! :)

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's hers if she wants one :). After looking it up, I found one website saying 4 inch cutting is about the right size. I'll have to wait for it to grow some since it's 6.5". Read early spring is a good time to do it.

Trying to get a large collection of houseplants going, mostly unusual stuff that can be easily propogated. I want to share, but my plants are still too new, or no one in my area wants anything. Some people I've offered plants to say "do I have to water it?" lol

His love for plants is fickle. When he realizes it is potentially dangerous, THEN he is interested.lol. He doesn't really like looking after plants either.
    I'll probably never try vft's. They seem a bit difficult, but nepenthes is something i'm always looking out for. That and sundew.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Purp! Say yes!! lol

Auron,

If a vft doesn't get it's dormancy,it's gonna croak...mine did when I tried to keeping it in a terrarium and wanted to believe that this would be enough to somehow make up for the lower temps it needed..? Yeah..delusional!
    South carolina is a hard act to follow when trying to replicate a plant's living conditions. Shoulda put it in the fridge.
    Now if a nepenthes is in a terrarium,..it becomes about as worry free as any other humidity lover,and yes...DO keep your eye out for one...they are SO cool. Got one years ago in a trade but it got lost in a move...such is regret.

"Do i have to water it?"
    ROTFLMAO

Please tell me he isn't cultivating toxicodendron! LOL

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Asleep,
    Rofl, even he avoids that like the plague. He gets pretty bad rashes if he touches it.
    Yea, it's that dormancy thing vft's need that prevent me from purchasing any. And if I remember correctly they actually need high humidity, unlike other carnivorous plants which only get some leaf damage at most (so long as they are properly watered). Don't have terrarium, or space in a fridge/cool basement.
    That's unfortunate about your nepenthes :(

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Well...life goes on,right? :)

At the moment I have five ten gallon aquariums,two of which have another placed on top upside down(awkward,I know),and one with a custom made clear plastic thingy on top. In addition I have various glass containers that are equally busy at the task of propagating various things.

Have a peek!

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

The carnivorous plants look quite like one we have in Norway! Not exactly the same, but seems to be the same family. In old times people used it for making cheese, it made the caseine come out of the milk, so to say. (don't know the exact english term for this.)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hey Pelargonium,
    ...found ya this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tjukkmjølk

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow that's an amazing article. Love facts like that. Didn't know ANY carnivorous plants would be useful like that.

Pelargonium,
    Did you ever get to try it? I'm curious about how it tastes.

Asleep,
    That is a lot of terrariums! lol. That must be lots of fun propagating stuff all the time.lol

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, Asleep! Tettegras is the name of the norwegian plant that's similar to Butterwort. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

After a quick search I found out that butterwort and tettegras are both common names for pinguicula so it looks like we're all talking about the same plant. :)

So Auron...when I think about it,wouldn't one encounter the same issues with a non-tropical ping as they would with the vft? Some of those pings would be under ice in their native environment.

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From what I know, they are evergreen and grow two different leaves. Smaller, non functional leaves in winter and larger carnivorous ones in spring. I'm reading a couple sources....and so far I know p.vulgaris is hardy to z1! I don't know if mine is vulgaris though. I think i'm going to need to request an ID. Not sure if all of them are like that....if they are I think i'll like it even more.lol. I can leave it outside!lol