Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chlorophytum comosum (Spider Plant) Babies & Flowers

Posted by americangolden ZONE 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 19:22

Hello,

I've been gone on vacation for the past 2 weeks and came home to this.

I see 1 baby on the big part hanging down and then another small baby on the top. 1 Full flower and a bunch of others it looks like. Should I be pinching these flowers off to get more babies or leave them be?

I have been gone on vacation so I am unsure if the baby was formed from the flower or how that all works. Any information would be great on what I should be doing. Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chlorophytum comosum (Spider Plant) Babies & Flowers

Hi americangolden,

Congratulations! I believe the baby spiders develop everywhere you see a flower so leave the flowers on the plant for the babies to mature. You will have plenty of babies soon!

supermom

o

Thanks! This is very good news and I am glad I will have some new spider plants to start.

Does anyone know how big you let them grow to on the mother plant and do they form roots while on the mother? Thanks again!

o

They can grow quite large and do grow roots right on each plantlet. I let mine stay on the plant, and have had them continue growing that way for a year or more. Happy spider babies even produce babies of their own while still on the mother plant. You can remove them when they have several roots of an inch or more.

One thing I would advise you to do is give it more light. I keep mine hanging in a sunny widow for six or seven months and move it outdoors into morning sun for the months when there's no danger of frost.

o

Late summer and autumn are two main seasons Spider Plants send out babies/shoots.

You can take cuttings while young, but there's nothing more beautiful than a Spider with shoots and flowers on all sides of Mom plant.

Some shoots can reach the floor, while hanging. Unless you have your heart set on duplicate plants, allow your Chlorophtum to grow large and let side-shoots be. Toni

o

I leave them on, also. All of these babies are new this year. That plant is hanging but I set it on the porch to take its' picture without harsh glare in the background. If your plant was outside, the flowers might get pollinated and make little black seeds (which I've never been able to germinate.) Look for side shoots eventually coming from where the flowers were.

o

Wow thanks everyone for all the wonderful information :).

o

Purple, your Spider looks great. I prefer a full plant with several hanging shoots. Compact. Only my opinion. Toni

o

Purple,

I get a ton of seeds every winter when I bring my green and white spiders inside to protect them from the harsh Ohio winter. I usually don't notice that the seed pods have opened until I get ready to vacuum and notice the seeds in the carpet. Then the following Spring when I take the spiders and other plants back outside to bask in the warmth of the sunshine, many pots have new totally green baby spider plants sprouting in them. I am told that seeds produce totally green plants even if the parent plant was green and white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here