Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus Help

Posted by Jaycee27 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 19:25

Here I am again with my next question regarding my dad's large Monstera deliciosa. The other day he found a mushroom growing with his Monstera. Any ideas how he can stop this from happening and if it is damaging the plant?

The picture is of the mushrooms we dug out. Gross.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus Help

this again has to do with water retention i.e. soggy soil, like the gnats. there are some great threads on it here. short term just let the soil dry more before watering. long term check through the info here and switch to more porous soil mixes.

someone on this forum had a great line that helped me understand watering. it was something like over watering is a misnomer its more like under drying. ready made soils don't provide good enough drainage and hold way too much water.

no damage to plant from the shrooms either. I had some really funky yellow looking ones a couple years ago, scared me to death lol

o

The only way to prevent the mushrooms from appearing again is to repot and rinse the roots. BUT, this type of fungus does no damage to the plant. It's feeding on and decomposing the potting medium. Not good in the long run, as the texture of the mix will become mucky over time.

By the way, the real fungus body consists of a big network of underground mycelium and hyphae doing the job all the time, all year round. The mushrooms are merely temporary, seasonally fruiting bodies. You can yank them out as soon as they appear but the decomposing will go on.

o

Thank you again very much! We were worried it was slowly killing his plant. That picture doesn't do the shrooms ugliness justice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here