Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Identification and Advice

Posted by dolphin0 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 19:28

Hi there,

I've had this plant for years and I was always told it was a type of dracena. Can anyone help correctly identify this for me?

Also, the stock of the plant is not very thick and gets quite skinny further to the top. I'm wondering if it would be worth while to cut the top, try to root it and hope that new growth starts from below.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Identification and Advice

Here's a shot of the skinny stock.

o

Dracaena marginata. Indoor plants have no wind blowing on them, so no cause to form a stronger trunk. The top should take root if you'd like to propagate it. You can stick it in the soil of the existing pot, or in a new pot. The remaining stump should grow one or more new tops to replace it. Might like a bit more light, if possible, but looks healthy and not unhappy.

o

Also know that D. marginata normally have very slender trunks (not 'stocks'). You should look at as many images as you can so that you can see what they look like under the best of conditions.

o

Thank you for the responses. This was helpful.

Sorry...thanks for the correction in terminology. Still kind of new at all this. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here