Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Massagenea Cane plant grown too big

Posted by ieee488 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 19:30

My mom has a large Massagenea Cane plant where one of the one of the "branches" is now quite large and would droop. This plant is 30 years old.

My mom has that "branch" propped up over a dining chair back!

We should have pruned, but now it is too late.

So, what can we do about this "branch"?
Can we cut it off and regrow in another pot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Massagenea Cane plant grown too big

Yes.

You can chop off the branch and it won't hurt your Dracaena.

Stick the cut-off in a jar of water until you see small white nubs sticking out from the bark, those will be roots starting to grow, and then plant it in a good quality medium which you can do a search here (See top of the page for the search box) and see all the debate about soils. Let the fun begin.

Oh yeah, don't wait too long after the roots start or it'll have a harder time adjusting to soil but you can just leave it in the water and grow it that way too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here