Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-watering pots.

Posted by cmwren Mid-Atlantic Coast, (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 19:50

Not just for African violets! (Mine did better in little glass candle votives, anyway.)

Ooh, nice new leaves, growing largewhat a happy plant, now that it isn't sitting un-watered in full sun in the outdoor section of the department store. Well worth the dollar I paid to rescue it While pondering how to keep these ferns alive in a dry house over the winter, I finally hit upon an obvious solution.

Not just for ferns, either

Voil! The fittonia, who had wilted flat on me at least three times over the winter and once when out on the hot deck this summer, loves having its feet constantly wet

What other plants do you grow in self-watering pots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-watering pots.

That would make sense. While I tend to think a lot of plants would stay far too wet in a self watering pot, there are plenty of ferns that freak out if they get wet at all. Realistically I should probably put my Blechnum gibbum in a self-watering pot although even more realistically that doesn't really qualify as a houseplant and I need to get around to setting up an actual terrarium.

Anyway, I have a Ponytail palm in a self watering pot. That's not really an appropriate pot for that kind of plant.

o
RE: Self-watering pots.

• Posted by cmwren Mid-Atlantic Coast, (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 11:19

Ooh, wow, that tree fern is a really neat plant. (I'm a Googling fool today! "No, Wren, no! You have no place to put a terrarium." "But [says the devil on her other shoulder] you have the 55 gal fishtank with no fish in it! It just needs emptying and scrubbing..." "No, that's for the nine inch shubunkin stuck in the 35 gal tank that is too small for it...")

Wow, my Beaucarinas are some of the most forgiving of my plants about being neglected and underwatered!

I understand that plants can be as individual as animals, but really, it would be nice for novices like me if they grew by the book! *lol*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here