Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeygurlz

Tropical Flowering Plants Indoor???

MonkeyGurlz
9 years ago

Heya,

So basically I went to Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. They have the most amazing fragrant plants out there� I�m from Michigan so nothing (that I know of) that grows in Hawaii will probably survive here.

So I bought a couple of plants/stems/seeds and I am attempting to plant them indoors (I HOPE). Problem is I have never done any indoor planting. Normally I just buy plants, dig a whole, place some general topsoil/fertilizer, plant goes into hole, cover with topsoil � voila done! So clearly I need help now!! I�m also panicking because it�s been over a week since I�ve been back so I worry that the plants may die�. Which is why I�m posting when I haven�t done enough research myself.

I bought:
-1 Stephanotis Floribunda (Madagascar Jasmine - vine) � comes in a SUPER small pot
-5 Plumeria (1 in small pot and 4 stems (so no roots on 4 of them)) � tree.. yeah I know I have to prune
-1 Cordyline terminalis (Ti Leaf Plant) in small pot
-1 Cattley Orchid in small pot
-Bird of paradise (Strelitzia Reginae) � 4 seeds
-Wood Rose (Operculina Ruberosa) � 4 seeds (vine)

I understand that you need a pot with holes for drainage. I just learned that I should probably get SMALL pots because with a larger pot it develops it�s root system which may not be what I want????

I can look into sunlight requirements for each� watering requirements are minimal (more like water them well, then let them dry, repeat). What I don�t understand is how big a pot do I plant these in? Soil mixes for each, fertilizers� basically setting it up. I�m not familiar with tropical plants and from my understanding they are very fragile.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks

Comments (7)

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

The first three are great houseplants I know..Cattleya need same soil as other "tree" orchids. Plumeria and Madagascar Jasmine need well-drained potting mix.Jasmine and Plumeria appreciate summer outside and some shade from direct sun. I believe Plumeria need dormant period.. Someone please fill holes that I left

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    What a mixture of types lol About all they have in common is that they are all tropical..
    do you know what types of plumeria ?? Many of these get very large and require a dormant period What type of Catt. orchid ? how is it potted now?? i grow all these types but not as houseplants
    In your location you plan on keeping them in a GH or indoors?? Can't imagine growing birds from seed but i suppose it could be done . Are you patient ??
    IME Mad .jasmine must get rather large to flower well.
    Do you have room for all these types with enough sunlight particularly during winter?? you probably should google the various types to come up with a plan on how to proceed. good luck!! gary

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

The easiest, most fool proof way to grow Cattleya orchids in my opinion is to use the "Semi Hydro" method. I would highly recommend repotting the cattleya into "Hydroton" (or a similar clay pellet medium) rather than the more common orchid bark.
    I used to kill cattleyas all the time, but semi hydro has made it extremely easy for me to keep them going even though I live in Wisconsin.

This site about converting houseplants to hydroculture gives you some nice pictures to visualize the process. The link below is specifically about using it on orchids.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is

• tavimh
    9 years ago

Post in the plumeria forum for help with your cuttings. Here is some general advice to get you started. Make sure they are calloused over before you pot them up.Last summer I rooted two cuttings; I had very good luck with a quick draining mix in an 8" plastic pot. I buried a whole raw egg in the soil (look up egg method) and planted my cutting. Water it well, but then let it stay dry until the cutting is pushing leaves and has clearly rooted. Since I'm in a very dry area I watered very sparingly, but many people say not to water at all. The biggest issue is having the cutting rot from being wet. Mine took 4-5 weeks to root, but that is very quick so be patient.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

The Ti plant (Cordyline) should be the least diva-like of the bunch, as far as being inside. Doesn't need much light to look great even though they can grow out in the sun where hardy.

The info at the link below should be helpful for getting to know how to maintain potted plants in general.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keeping them looking good

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 9:10

• paul_
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by summersunshine
    The easiest, most fool proof way to grow Cattleya orchids in my opinion is to use the "Semi Hydro" method.

LOL I've killed any orchid I've tried semi-hydro with. I know folks who have a great deal of success with SH, but I'm not one of them. Orchid bark or large grade coconut husk chunks works well for me (and I grow a lot of orchids). You can even grow the catt as a mounted plant though it will require more frequent watering if it is mounted. Catts, as a whole, require high light -- an unobstructed SE, S, SW or W exposure windowsill can work well for them. Best way to get orchid supplies is to attend an orchid show. Unfortunately, there won't be any in Michigan until January. In the meantime, Lowes used to carry an orchid bark mix that should do. Just make sure you pick out any bits of sphagnum moss they might have in the mix. (Having such is fine for orchids like Phalanopsis but tends to increase water retention more than catts desire.) Many orchids can be grown quite easily indoors.

Plumeria typically require a dormancy period during which time they drop all their leaves. If memory serves correctly, during that period, water is reduced to almost zero. (You'd need to check further on that.) For the winter, a cool dry area may suffice for its winter dormancy period.

Strelitzia can be grown inside but plants get HUGE. Definitely not a good long term houseplant candidate unless you have a good sized greenhouse to keep it in.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I would recommend orchid mix (pine bark and charcoal, etc.) for your orchid. I tried the clay pellets and my orchids needed water every day and they died.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company