Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princesserica_gw

Gerbera Daisy plant problems!

PrincessErica
18 years ago

Howdy everyone. I'm totally new to keeping plants, so please bear with my almost non-existant knowledge. I was hoping some of the experts around here might be able to point me in the right direction.

My hubby bought me a Gerbera Daisy potted plant for my birthday in May. It had 2 pink blooms when he purchased it. Within 2 weeks, the blooms died. It seemed like the stem right at the top got really weak, which caused the flower to wilt over and die within a day or two. I tried propping the blooms up, but it didn't help. This happened to both the blooms within a couple of days of each other. I cut them off, and now I'm left with a lot of really healthy, vibrant foliage, but obviously you don't buy flowering plants for the foliage! The plant itself is doing very well, there's a lot of new growth inside, but it's all leaves. Is there something I can do to encourage flowers to grow instead of new leaves?

It's in a window that gets a lot of light and is being watered when the soil is dry with the recommended dose of Miracle-Gro. I sit the pot in a bowl of water and let it soak up the water as opposed to watering it directly from the top.

As I said before, I'm totally new to keeping plants, so this probably seems like a silly question, but I don't know what else to do. Gotta learn from the experts if I want to acquire the knowledge myself, right? Any help that can be offered is most appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comments (55)

• blueviolet
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi
    I bought a gerbera that had 3 dead blooms and 1 leaf at Home Depot last year, because I felt bad for it. It has had to "foliage" periods about 2 months without blooms, so far. I've found that pulling out the older , outer leaves results in flower buds forming for some reason. Also, when you see the first signs of dying blooms, cut them off at the base immediately. Oh, and you might want to keep the "neck" of the gerbera planted a little bit above the soil, mine seems to grow better that way. And never get any part of it wet when you water it, cause it will stain the leaves. You should be top watering , as it helps to spread the nutrients all the way to the roots.

Hope all is well!!

• kamann147_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I love gerbra daisies and I have wanted one for so long. I finally purchased the plant and I am not sure how I am supposed to water it. How many times a week, maybe months? And how much? I have had it now for about a week and the flowers are wilting and losing their pink, vibrant color, and the leaves are turning yellow and brown. PLEASE HELP!

• justgerbera
    16 years ago

I think the point about the greenhouse growing is vital to make. In fact when we grow our commercial gerbera plants for homes accross canada during winter, we get the best resuls from varying the temps and not developing the 'ideal' growth environments. These plants come from South Africa originally, they are rather hardy plants, but greenhouse purchased ones tend to make them difficult to grow at home.

Look for ones that are homegrown or perhaps even those that have weathered the storm of a local corner store... they are often the hardiest ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: JustGerbera

• mathieuprry
    15 years ago

I didn't realize how wimpy these plants are. I thought I was "rescuing" a sad looking plant from the unforgiving grips of a local Wal-mart. I got a little over zealous misting my other plants and included the gerber. Now, 4 hours later, it has wilted into something resembling a POW camp victim. Is there any hope for this plant? Can I reverse the effects? The plant does not have any of the powdery fungus I have read about. Any help would be appreciated.

• brippy
    15 years ago

I recently bought 3 awsome Gerberas, pink, orange and red. So far two don't seem to care what I do to them. The red plant's bloom and foliage has wilted and recovered four or five times in the three weeks since it has been in my posession. I figured out right away, no direct sun and DO NOT overwater. What I want to know is the kind of information found on a manufacturer's tag- if only it came with one. Are these perrenials? Seeing that I live in New England, I must bring it in for the winter, but then what do I do with it??? Does the red one's temperment have to do with it's color?

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

You might be better off getting a new one every year. You can bring it in and overwinter it, but it's tricky. I had an orange-yellow and a butter yellow, and while I kept them alive during the winter, they did not thrive, and I put them back outside when it warmed up, but they never once bloomed. I had a red one that I grew exclusively inside, and it was a repeat bloomer (and quite lovely) but it wasn't the easiest. It was very prone to spider mites, it required water almost daily, and it needed a lot of light (was in a west window). When I moved, I didn't have a good place for it right away, and while it was waiting, it died. If you want to try it, I might suggest under lights, with good air circulation.

As far as growing them outside, they like sun, they don't like to dry out but they don't like to be soggy either. Water with bloom boosting fertilizer to encourage them to keep on blooming. I found that if I didn't do that, I got to look at foliage for long stretches of time. Don't know why yours don't like direct sun, unless it's because it needed to be acclimated... mine were quite happy with direct sunlight. Though I think it was morning sun, and not afternoon sun. If you can, avoid getting water in the middle of it, but you can't control rain, so it's not dire. They are perennials in warmer zones, I believe, but not here in PA, and therefore, probably not for you either.

Hope this helps.

• maxie92806
    15 years ago

I have a beautiful red gerbera that I received as a gift. It seems to be alright in full sun, but I check everyday to insure that the soil doesn't dry out. I'm getting oodles of ladybugs, so they're taking care of the aphids!

My big problem is white powdery mildew on the leaves. I've researched & discovered the cause, but is there anything that I can do to treat the leaves/plant now that it has the mildew?

• superbluelavender
    15 years ago

I planted a potted gerbera with three flowers into a balcony flower box for the summer several weeks ago. The original blooms are gone but three new ones came up fairly quickly. They were just as beautiful. The plant looks fine but the dark green foliage has lightened into a motley yellowish green. I do not overwater and keep the soil evenly moist. The plant is in a long container with dahlias beside it. They are doing great with lots of new flowers. Any suggestions ?? thanks !

• srf737_neo_rr_com
    15 years ago

I give up!!! No more beautiful gerber daisies...I consider myself a better than average gardner, but have yet to really successful keeping gerbers...I do believe that the greenhouse lush plants are very difficult when taken home...I have tried in the ground, in pots, in sun, less sun, water more/less, fertilize more/less...interestingly, I kept one alive during the winter and it isn't exactly thriving, but did bloom and is still with me. Oh well, on to other beautiful blooms:)

• stewartv
    15 years ago

I am in Atlanta GA zone 8(very close to zone 7). I have tried several times with gerbera's and they have never survived for long. Doesn't seem to matter where I plant them (pot, ground, sun or shade or filetered sun. I had heard that these can winter over in the ground and return the next year given the correct conditions. Can anyone tell me what the correct conditions are?

• bluehippofish_gmail_com
    15 years ago

i just bought a red gerbera today from the local grocery store (i know, i probably should have bought it from the local nursery...), and after potting it, i watered it (i'm afraid i might have overwatered it), and now, a few hours later, it's all wilted. two of the three blooms have started to wilt on their stems, and the foliage is wilting over the edge of the pot. what do i do? is it okay to put in direct afternoon/evening sunlight in a west-facing window? i bought it for my boyfriend and i don't want to kill it. please help!

• pstar
    15 years ago

Wow, this is a great site. I thought I might add some comments and ask a question.

We live in Burbank, and I believe our most successful plant since last August has been our Gerbera. Nearly all of our flowers were killed in a heat wave that hit LA while we were gone. It dried everything to death except for the Gerbera. I tried to save everything, but was only able to save this plant. Through the mild LA winter, the Gerbera stump regrew new leaves and I am seeing (finally) four flowering heads that appeared in late February. I can't wait to see them flower as it will validate my poor gardening start.

Q: Some of the lower larger leaves are starting to redden on the edges. The most recent changes this plant has been through is I have raised it from the partly shaded bamboo floor, to the full sun balcony edge. I'm watering it a bit more now as I've bought more flowers for the planter box.
    I'm thinking that this might just be natural, as I'm experiencing newer growth... maybe they just should be reddening/dying... So, what is causing this reddening of the leaves?

• angelgardenolga
    14 years ago

I received my flower for Mother's day 2 years ago, it is very healthy except it started to have white fungus on the new leaves just a few weeks ago. I have 3 flowers presently in blooms over 2 weeks, how can I remove the fungus and prevent it from come back. Please advise thanks.

• pinny
    14 years ago

I have purchased my first 3 gerbera daisies. I have planted 2 of them in containers with some other flowers. It is in a sunny spot. The next morning I was in the garden and noticed that the flowers on both daisies have been eaten off. Is this squirels, rabbits, what would it be? I have still to plant the 3rd. daisy but don't want to run into the same problem. It is sitting on the picnic table. Any Suggestions.

• kamille
    14 years ago

The instructions that came with my Wal-Mart Gerbera Daisy say they like 4 to 8 hours of sun per day. Within two hours of setting them out in the sun, one beautiful plant's blooms keeled over like a Salvador Dali clock. I thought "That's odd, it says they like sun".
    A few days later, I thought maybe it was because we had been barbequeing and some smoke might have gotten to them, so I set the plants out in the sun again for several hours while I ran some errands. When I came home all of the blooms were completely wilted! I can only assume, based on what I read here, that afternoon sun is lethal to Gerberas, so I'll try them in the area that only gets morning sun. (FYI: I'm in mid-Ohio; it was 70 degrees the first time I put them out, and 85 the second time).
    I still think it's odd, no matter what time of day, that sun would (almost instantly) kill the blooms of a flower that calls for 4 to 8 hours of sunlight!

• paul_
    14 years ago

Always interesting to hear what folks have trouble with while others don't.

Avoided Gerberas for years due to their rep. Then last summer while my folks were visiting I took them to a local greenhouse. (Quite a feat considering I'm the only plant nut in the family.) My mom was smitten by the Gerberas we saw and bought a few despite knowing they could be difficult. I even picked one for myself. Theirs wound up in large pots in bright shade, mine on my balconey in full sun (from dawn to about 1-2pm). None of us bothered with the "don't water from above" philosophy. All bloomed though as I recall mine did much better. Mine came in with the onset of chilly fall weather and overwintered in my classroom window -- no other lighting to speak of. Thanks to the arachic heating system, my room was sometimes chilly and sometimes too warm for my tastes. Air was very dry. The plant did very little over the winter, which is as expected. Presently it is in bloom. True only one flower, but it is blooming. Soon it will return to its place on my balconey.

• slemke426
    14 years ago

Well i must say that i'm a little disappointed with my recent purchase, as there seem to be more questions on this website than there are answers!
    I got my gerbera about a week or so ago, and it had 6+ buds and 1 bloom. I re-potted it and put it on my front porch where it gets 4+ hours of sunlight. It was doing really well until I watered it (from the top, with your standard fertilizer) last night, when i checked on it today and it was completely wilted. Maybe it's too much sun or too much water, or maybe it's just getting too cold at night (around 40-50 degrees) but i need help, regardless! Brought it in for tonight as to avoid any further damage and have it in an east-facing window.

Suggestions, please!

• watergal
    14 years ago

I gave up on these ages ago. I tried repeatedly and couldn't keep them alive for long, in pots outside or in the ground. I'm impressed with anyone who can keep these alive. And I can grow most plants.

• loriam
    14 years ago

Hi slemke426,
    I've transplanted gerberas from pots to the ground and experienced the same wilting problem. Some recovered and a few didn't. It seems these plants don't like change, but once established, I've found them to be quite hardy in my zone. I've got three (which came back in the spring) growing under a crepe myrtle. In the spring I set out fertilzer spikes for the crepe. One must have been closer to one of the spikes, because it really took off in foliage and blooms. I'm not overly cautious in watering. I wet them down with the hose when I water (morning or evening).
    I would leave them outside in a partly shady area, giving them a little more sunlight every day until they're acclimated.
    Hoping they make it.... :)
    Loria

• americanshorthair
    13 years ago

Hi!
    I realize many of these posts are old, but I'd like to thank you all for your gerbera experiences. I found this forum through Google, and your observations of and experiences with gerbera plants have been most helpful!
    When I got mine for Mothers' Day, I was aware that it was a sensitive, hot weather loving plant because of you.
    I live in eastern Canada, zone 3, and it was obvious to me this plant would likely not thrive outdoors in this climate. (It's May, and we are still having ground frost at night. Really warm weather lasts for only 2 months a year, and our winters are long.)
    I therefore placed the plant in my best "flower" window.
    I left it completely alone until it became acclimatized to its new home, and when it became dry a few days later I watered it from the bottom with water only. Since then, whenever the plant needs to be watered, I am using the same diluted food which I give my African violets with every watering.
    I am VERY pleased to say that my plant is thriving. It isn't wilting and doesn't have any mould or other signs of distress. There is lush new growth.
    I'm hopeful the current stunning scarlet flowers will live for quite a while, and that maybe new buds will appear in time.
    Thank you all for your help :-)

• barb_e
    13 years ago

I received 3 plants for Mother's Day and they were beautiful. I was going to try to save seeds a plant, but sounds like they are very hard to grow. Will they re-bloom and should I dead-head them? They are so beautiful.

• kay_white_kcpd_org
    12 years ago

I didn't realize they were so tempermental! I purchased several in a grouping and seperated and planted them in various locations; back garden in full sun, in large pots with part sun exposure and in pots in full sun exposure. They are all doing the same things but at different times! I believe I over-watered when they were in their original container. After I separated them they seemed to do better but as many have stated, one hour the flowers are bright and vibrant and two hours later they have keeled over and look terminal. They appear to "pull out of it" and none have died as of yet but the beauty is short-lived. Any help for what is the magic that will keep them blooming and as lovely as they were when I first purchased them?

• chickencoupe
    12 years ago

I picked one up at Wal mart. I potted it in a larger pot using mostly my compost soil - sticks and all. That may be why it hasn't died because I've been watering too much. It is important to remove the bottom leaves as moisture accumulation in that area causes fungal growth deadening the plant. I read that somewhere and what someone stated above about removing those leaves does make a difference. The one I bought had one bloom and a second bloom down below. Both blooms are out now. The first is slowly fading. I have it sitting in the hottest part of the yard and think the extreme heat is getting to it.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

ChickenCoupe..Thanks for the info. I bought a Gerbera Daisy yesterday..'outdoor garden shopping.'
    Never had one before, so except for it being a short-lived plant, I had no idea of its care.

How much space between the soil line should be left without leaves?
    Also, should faded flowers be dead headed? Thanks, Toni

• viktoria5
    12 years ago

Well, I've had gardenias before, and I find that the potted gerbera displays the exact same symptoms as the gardenia did a while ago. I realize they are not necessarily cousins, but they do seem to have similar needs and both are really fussy.

My gardenia had leaves that would turn a pale green then literally yellow. After that, the edges of the leaves would turn a pale brown, and that's when the leaf started to get brittle and dry. I have the exact same symptoms on my gerbera, plus the blooms that don't have the time to grow proper petals because they wilt away.

The tag on mine says to keep it moderately moist, so I water it only with the goal of not allowing the soil to get dry. I don't deep water it, but the soil is constantly moist. I don't have any apparent signs of mildew, but as with all plants, I water it from the top taking care not to wet the foliage. The tag also says to keep it in indirect light, so I think that full sun, even for just a couple of hours, is out of the question, but don't put it in shade either. I think this is the rare kind of plant that you don't need to put near the window. My tag also says to keep it in a temperature range between 21 and 24 degrees Celsius, which is really warm. If you were to heat your house to this temperature, you would have to walk around in a cami and shorts to feel good. So, mine is near the heater.

The reason why I mention gardenias is that gardenia experts say that tap water kills gardenias in the long run because of the salt accumulation that prevents the plant from drinking water. The answer to that would be chelated iron. I have some and I will definitely try it out on the gerbera and report back here in a few weeks. This may not be standard procedure, but I have learned with house plants not to be afraid of risking losing a plant: when a plant looks sad, you can either take a risk or watch it die a slow, horrible death.

A word of advice. This is a sensitive plant, we all agree, and some have pointed out that it doesn't like change. So, if you have a problem with your plant and realize after checking that you are doing something wrong, please don't change things from one day to the next. If your plant gets too much sun, don't put it in shade right away: move the plant gradually over a week. Same thing with watering, don't give in to cutting off half the water you give your plant. Taper off the water instead. Otherwise, you might be harming your plant more than helping it.

• Kristi1931
    11 years ago

Hi, I'm having a similar problem. I planted my gerbera daisies from a nursery about two weeks ago. They were great until this week when temperatures rose about 70. I pasted this info from a plant selling website. If you have warm spring/summers I am guessing that is why yours our wilting. Ours have been in direct sun 8 hours a day and they only began wilting when temperatures rose. They did wonderfully with the rain last week. We also have clay soil but they like sandy, well drained soil. I will try fertilizing mine and report back if they improve but am not getting my hopes set too high with the sun!

Tips for Growing Healthy Gerbera Daisies
    What are the light requirements for gerbera daisies?
    To do their best and bloom the longest, be sure gerbera daisies receive lots of light. They will need a sunny location and will even profit from additional artificial light.

How much water do they need?
    Gerbera daisies need to be kept evenly moist during the time they are blooming. When out of bloom, they can be allowed to dry slightly before watering.

Do they have any special temperature requirements?
    They will thrive in average to cool temperatures. If temperatures get too warm (above 70�), they may stop blooming.

Do gerbera daisies need much humidity?
    They will do well with average humidity. Indoors, mist the foliage once or twice a week during the winter. Avoid misting open blooms.

How much fertilizer do they require?
    When they are actively growing and blooming, gerbera daisies should be fed every other week with a water-soluble fertilizer such as Bachman's Excel Gro or Schultz's Blooms Plus.

What type of soil do they prefer?
    Gerbera daisies require well-drained soil. Use a high-quality peat based potting soil.

When should I repot my gerbera daisies?
    In our climate, they aren't usually kept over the winter, so they aren't repotted. When grown in a greenhouse, they are repotted in spring.

Will they need any grooming?
    They really don't need any grooming other than removing faded flowers and their stems. Avoid any leaf shine products. Gerbera daisy leaves are slightly hairy and resent being wiped.

How are they propagated?
    Gerbera daisies are propagated from seed, but it can take as long as 6 months to get to the blooming stage.
    Troubleshooting Problems with Gerbera Daisies
    What causes gerbera daisies not to bloom?
    If they have never bloomed, they may just be too young. They could also need more light and a warmer location. If they have been blooming and have stopped, they may be done for the season. They will bloom the longest where they get strong light,are fed regularly and are kept evenly moist and warm.

Why do gerbera daisies wilt?
    This can be the result of drying out or being kept too warm. When temperatures get much over 70�, sometimes they will wilt even if they have adequate moisture.

What makes their leaves turn black?
    This is from being kept too cold. Don't allow them to go below 45�.

If the leaves develop dark patches, what is the problem?
    Dark patches can be the result of leaf shine or watering with cold water.

When leaves brown, what is the cause?
    If the leaves turn brown and dry up, check to see if the plant is being kept too wet or too dry. Pick off the brown leaves and watch closely.

Are gerbera daisies prone to any disease problems?
    If they are kept too wet or planted too deeply, gerbera daisies will develop a crown rot that is almost always fatal. This can be avoided by using a well-drained soil, monitoring the water closely and making sure your daisy is planted a little bit higher than average.Occasionally, the leaves will develop a white mildew. This indicates the daisy is being kept too cool and humid.

• rosegramma
    11 years ago

My 3 Gerbera Daisies are losing their blooms right at the top of the stem. It looks like something is eating through the stem, but I can't find anything. The young bud or bloom falls off and still appears healthy when I find them, usually in the morning. The rest of the plant is very healthy. What causes this? Thanks for any help.

• rosegramma
    11 years ago

I should have mentioned that my plants are out on my covered deck, but get almost full sun. They have been out there for 2 months. This falling bud/bloom problem just started a week ago. So far lost 5 blooms. Stems still tall & strong.

• luisb1000
    11 years ago

They usually do better when you leave the soil surrounding the gerbera stem crown above the soil line and planting them partial sun or full Sun with filtered light and not letting the soil completely dry out

• dgmarie
    11 years ago

An old thread I know but a recent success story with gerberas I wanted to share.

My do worker gave me a gerbera she'd received as a gift, but the flowers of which had long been removed and was no more than some sad yellowing leaves. I placed the plant in indirect sunlight and kept it moist always. Watered twice a week or it would wilt. After many months, still no new flowers.

I took the plant home and gave it a weekly does of Maxicrop Liquid seaweed with iron. Within a week the yellowish leaves darkened noticeably. Within four weeks I had an enormous bloom, and now two weeks later the second flower has opened. It is as if it was brought back from the dead. I keep the plant moist in its original pot, flushing the soil with each watering twice weekly (or it will droop). I plan to keep Mr.Daisy going all winter indoors, obviously. But if you had seen this sad plant before, you would not believe what a regular dose of micro nutrient fertilizer can do. I know I couldn't!

• dgmarie
    11 years ago

An old thread I know but a recent success story with gerberas I wanted to share.

My do worker gave me a gerbera she'd received as a gift, but the flowers of which had long been removed and was no more than some sad yellowing leaves. I placed the plant in indirect sunlight and kept it moist always. Watered twice a week or it would wilt. After many months, still no new flowers.

I took the plant home and gave it a weekly does of Maxicrop Liquid seaweed with iron. Within a week the yellowish leaves darkened noticeably. Within four weeks I had an enormous bloom, and now two weeks later the second flower has opened. It is as if it was brought back from the dead. I keep the plant moist in its original pot, flushing the soil with each watering twice weekly (or it will droop). I plan to keep Mr.Daisy going all winter indoors, obviously. But if you had seen this sad plant before, you would not believe what a regular dose of micro nutrient fertilizer can do. I know I couldn't!

{{gwi:100038}}

• melsgerbys
    10 years ago

I live in Mareeba, North QLD, in the tropics, we get a wet season from Dec-April.
    Gerberas grow well here. Our winter rarely gets frosts, and snow doesn't happen here, summers get hot and they are mainly grown in the garden. In colder areas which sometimes get frosts and snow they are normally grown in tubs.
    Good quality well draining soil is important in the garden and tubs as they hate wet feet, love manure [not dog or cat] Fertilize every 2-3 wks with a liquid complete seaweed fert.
    When transplanting wet plant before, then water with liquid seaweed after to help prevent shock.
    Gerby's love sun, however harden them slowly as normally have been grown in a ideal greenhouse situation and get sad when in the real world until they acclimatise.
    LOPAF[Lots Of Plants And Flowers], Mel.

• melsgerbys
    10 years ago

It is probably wise to buy Your new plant in the warmer months off the year in areas that have very cold winters, and put them outside in the morning sun. Gradually increase the exposure over a number of weeks. This sounds fiddly, but will be worth while.
    When I purchase mine they are 1" high in punnets so they settle in well, even so I still introduce them slowly.
    After a few weeks I pot them on into pots containing a good quality soil mix containing peat, and add broken down Horse manure [about 25%] As soon as I pot them on I water with a liquid seaweed fert, and keep them moist.
    I eventually grow them in the garden in full sun and they love it.
    It is important to remove any discoloured leaves and spent flowers to promote growth, best not to cut with scissors etc, but remove by hand. Always place leaves etc in the bin,and not the compost to lessen the chance of diseases growing and spreading.
    They sound like hard work, I have over 300 plants and only spend a hour or so every day with them. This includes weeding, fertilizing, hand pruning, and watering.
    The joy and colour they bring, and the cost too buy cut Gerby flowers is certainly worth the effort.
    I am not familiar with cold climates, however even in a climate that suits them they will suffer if not acclimatised, and many bought from controlled conditions here do die after a number of weeks.
    LOPAF,Mel.

• melsgerbys
    10 years ago

Gerberas will last for many years with a little effort. In warmer climates, especially in tropical and sub tropical areas they prefure too be grown outside in the garden.
    I don't know too much about growing mature gerby's in pots or in certain weathers apart from my climate, however after acclimatising,You should I think do the same when placing in a sunny area with sun coming through a glass window, as like a closed up car the heat will be more intense.
    I have some that grow flowers that measure 6" across, these older fashioned ones prefure the garden.
    Gerbera roots spread and as they spread they get bigger and multiply, so it is wise to grow them in a larger pot to give them room to prevent the roots choking which can cause disease and stress. Do this every couple of years in spring.
    When re potting You can break them up and plant on the young growns into new pots to get new plants or just re pot the original plant into a larger pot to keep it going.
    When and if separating Your plants, it is wise to ask someone who knows how to do it.
    They are pretty tough if healthy and happy, they love water and food, and not wet feet much like us Humans. Roses are similar to maintain, and depending on the variety some are tougher than others.
    LOPAF,Mel.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Sorry to disrupt, and i didnt read many of the post due to the number, so forgive me if what i say is already said. Gerbera daisies are annuals and therefore flower and then are throwing away. not saying her plant can not flower for many months more

• melsgerbys
    10 years ago

Gerberas are only annuals if treated like annuals. I have been growing gerberas for over 15 yrs, and still have decendants from my original plants.

When buying flowering gerberas in pots they look happy and healthy, however they can die due to stress from disease and or climate changes. It is probably best to buy them in the warmer months of the year. Try to acclimatise them to Your conditions. Water when dry and every 2 weeks with a seaweed or natural liquid fertilizer, keep moist but don't over water.

When flowers die off remove spent flowers and any discoloured leaves don't throw plant away, but place outside in a warm area preferably with a few hours of morning sun.

In warm weather is a great idea to place them out in the garden if You have one, in a good quality well draining soil mix. Before it starts to get cold water well dig them up and pot them on in a decent sized tub or pot retaining as much garden soil as possible. Add a good quality potting mix, and fertilizer. Place in a warm morning sunny area in the house.

I separate my mature plants every 2 yrs or so, depending on their size, health and variety. I normally get 6 - 12 plants [crowns] from each plant.

I wish all lots of LOPAF with Your Gerby's,
    Mel.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

I was searching Gerberas (trying to find the best sun exposure) and ran across this thread.

I've had Gerberas on & off for several years, but always outside. My first group of plants, four I think, survived a couple years, then got choked out by a very happy group of torenia. I should have moved them before when I saw just how happy the torenia were, but I didn't.

Last summer, I bought a clearance hanging basket of red ones at Lowe's. I separated them into four 6" clay pots, and they lived in full sun (from 1pm-until sunset) the rest of the summer and all winter. On our occasional freezing nights, I'd group them together with some other potted plants and cover them with a pile of hay. I did lose one after not uncovering them in a timely manner, but the other three are currently blooming now.

I have recently (about a month ago, and then over the weekend) gotten several more free hanging baskets of Gerberas from a nursery - they were headed to the compost pile. I have separated these into individual pots as well. Two (from the same pot) are probably too far gone to make it, but I thought I ought to try. The others are doing very well.

When I bought the first basket last year, and was separating them, it struck me that they were a bit like African Violets, with a sucker and all. I removed the sucker and got a plant.

When I transplant, if the plant looks stressed, I'll pull off several leaves. How many depends on the strength of the root system.

I do top water, with a shower sprayer, and haven't had any problems with discoloration of leaves or rot.

My red ones (the older ones), in particular, had been VERY wilty this year. I found out why when I pull one out to plant in the ground. The roots had taken over the entire bottom half of the pot. No wonder it got so thirsty, sitting in full sun! The one I transplanted, into the same location, just in the ground, wilted badly the first few days. I put shade over it during the hottest part of the first few days, and pulled off more leaves. It hasn't wilted since Tuesday and didn't have shade yesterday. It still has a bloom, which I didn't cut off (I was playing a wait and see game).

I need to pot up the other red ones, as I am sure that their roots look just like the other one's, I just haven't had a chance yet.

-- I wanted to add that of the new Gerberas I just got, some of the tags say part-sun and some say full... so that may make a big difference between varieties.

This post was edited by aharriedmom on Thu, May 30, 13 at 9:23

• melsgerbys
    10 years ago

Dear aharriedmom,
    Thanks very much for Your email. If You want to send me your email address, I will send You some fact sheets about gerberas. The information is based for North Queensland, Australia, however I am sure You will find some useful information, Incidentally I plant all my gerbys out in full sun, however acclimatise them slowly.
    LOPAF, melsgerbys.

• melsgerbys
    10 years ago

If anyone wants my fact sheets on gerberas, please email me on melindalen@gmail.com

• melsgerbys
    10 years ago

Gidday Marsha,
    You sent me a email wanting the fact sheets on Gerbera's, and I sent them, however it seems that it didn't go through? Actually I sent them twice. Please try again, or leave a message here, if Garden web allows it.
    LOPAF, Mel.

• alphamale1
    9 years ago

Gerbera's must all be females!.....just kidding ladies. They are a pain in the ... This is my first year planting these outside in my outdoor flower garden. A couple have died, a few more do bloom and one looks healthy but will no longer seems to bloom at all. They all get approx. 3-4 hrs of sun usually from 11 am to 2-3 pm. All planted facing east in front of residence. I watered lightly in spring and almost daily in summer. Some blooms wilt in summer sun some do not. The red bloom gerbers are NOT the hardiest for some reason. I use Miracle Gro fertilizer approx. once every 7-10 days. I have a large bright orange gerber that when I bought it, it had huge size blooms ....now they still bloom but are very short petal sized blooms and not very tall....and the yellow/orangish blooms on other gerbers are now tall in length of stem and bloom well. So, go figure, they are very puzzling plants indeed. Finally, I have one general strong suggestion for all for all outdoor planting of new flowers bought anywhere. Miracle-Gro Garden Soil is just superb. Everything I plant with it does so well. I have never seen such wonderful soil to plant with. BIG HINT: When planting with this soil, make sure you have an approx. minimum extra inch of free space all around the plant you are planting outdoors, then stuff down all around the plant this MG soil garden soil. Believe it or not....Too many outdoor gardeners only plant the new plant in its exact size in the ground-you have to leave some space all the way around it at least 1 full inch-then add then MG soil all around that space. Good luck and remember- a good gardener does not only necessarily have a green thumb- he/she has brown knees!...get a good knee scrubber too.

• ssuark36
    8 years ago

I've had some success with my Gerbera daisy, but I noticed it does go through a cycle. Late fall, the leaves will get a bit saggy and it wants to rest, so I leave it in a bright place that is quite cool, water only just when the soil feels dry. In the spring as the days are getting longer, I add iron chelate, epsom salt, and 20-20-20 to the water at half-strength. Mine gets introduced to dappled sun in an east window, gradually allow the strength of sun to increase until it happily takes full sun. During this time it will pop out some wonderful leaves and eventually new flowers. Mine are magenta pink and about 4 inches across. I have found Gerbera are a bit like clematis - they like sun, but they don't like hot roots so they do better double-potted, i.e. their pot placed inside a bigger pot. They like dry air. Humidity seems to be their sworn enemy.

• Richard Hopkins
    8 years ago

I have had no problems with growing Gerbera daisy plants. I put mine through some harsh situations, and they grow and bloom. They are in a greenhouse but the temperature get as high as a 105F in the direct sun. I do water mine everyday because of the extreme temps but they seem to fair well and I raised all of them from seeds. One thing I do that is different is I use well water. Treated water from our local water supply isn't good for us or the plants! I also, raise Venus Flytraps and they have to have water with less than 30 TDS. I recommend catching rain water if you don't have a good clean water supply. Gerbera's seem to be hardy plants and I think looking at your water your providing, might solve some of your problems with keeping these plants thriving.

• jennmitchell10
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I just ran across it. Last December, I moved to MD from the north MS/west TN area, and I have had great success with gerberas in both locations....both planted and potted outside. I purchased two potted gerberas this spring, and potted both in one large metal bin, and placed it on my coffee table on my back deck. It gets gets full sun in the AM, and full to part sun in the afternoon. There are days, however, that I pull it into the shade to avoid excessive heat/sunlight. I water when it dries out, but we have had more than average rainfall this summer, so I mainly let mother nature take care of the watering. I remove spent blooms at the soil level promptly, but also remove aging and damaged leaves once a week or so. My plant has bloomed continuously since I got it, with as many as 15 blooms being present at once 2 weeks ago. I knew then that my plant would experience a dormant cycle, which is now occurring. To help promote new bud growth, I have removed some of the large center leaves so that the sunlight can reach the base of the plant to stimulate new growth. I also plan to fertilize it a bit for the first time (I only use miracle grow potting soil for all of my potted plants). I wish everyone luck with their gerberas, and hope you dont give up on these beautiful flowers! My deck is full of flowering plants (and one mammoth Kimberly fern that has doubled in size since I bought it 3 months ago); and I spend the majority of my free time there just enjoying my space. My gerbera definitely adds the the joy and peaceful, zen feeling I experience each and every time I get to slow down and enjoy mother nature!

• jennmitchell10
    8 years ago
    Here is a pic of my gerbera from a couple of weeks ago.
  • Caitlin Wild
    8 years ago

Hi all, I know this post is very old, but I'm really hoping someone can help me. I've read through this post. I am from south Africa and I am keeping a gerberra as a house plant. So this, assumes my.climate is ideal. However, I am stuck with the same problem as everyone else. It won't blossom. I have had my plant for 2 going onto three years and I've persevered. I have hardly ever not had leaves in my plant, I water it regularly using a combo of watering from the bottom and about once a month a generously put water onto the top. I often use grow sticks and I have now even put it into a new, bigger pot with more soil... But still no blossoms... Please can someone help. I have fallen in love with my baby plant but can't help but get frustrated!

• Hollie Crum
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

So, this post is ancient, but from the posts that I have read, it sounds as if the gerber daisy can be a very difficult flower to grow... I purchased mine in a pot from a wholesale club. I had no clue how to grow them...i just thought the two flowers on it were pretty. I live in zone 6b (WV.) My dai

sy plant has been so easy. I have fertilized it twice, I water it either every day or every other day. I water it from the top and at the roots, under the green leaves. I also get water on the flowers and leaves and there is no problem. My daisy is now on its second round of flowers. Apparently its suppossed to bloom once then be finished for its zone here. Ive never had an easier plant and was actually surprised to read about how hard to grow they are supposed to be.

• Hollie Crum
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Second round of flowers! This flower is the first to open up fully! Is this normal for zone 6 to have a re-grow?

• HU-381458795
    5 years ago

Hi everyone. I’ve had 2 Gerberas for some weeks now. All is well but this time around my flower buds never made it to maturity. They started off just fine but a little less than halfway through, they died out. Both were still in green looking bud phase. The faces never had a chance to mature and color. I appreciate any feedback.

• Gopi Rawal
    4 years ago

Simple technic for reviving gerbera daisy is available @ https://thepjamagarden.blogspot.com/2020/03/want-to-know-ultimate-secret-to-save.html

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County