Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cr491

Summer Impatiens blooms

cr491
10 years ago

I've kept Impatiens growing indoors for a little over two years, since I pinched a couple pieces off outdoor plants. They've gone through a couple prunings, but I'm really happy with how they look now (I have two; the other one is budding but not in bloom yet). They almost look like little flowering trees!

They're easy to root, they branch on their own, and once they start flowering, they don't seem to stop! Quite an enjoyable houseplant.

Comments (4)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

It's very pretty.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

It's adorable! Is the stem starting to turn woody? I think they can...? If you start picking off the biggest leaves periodically, like 3-4 per week or bi-weekly, depending on how fast it replaces them, you could turn it into a quasi-bonsai thing that doesn't need actual trimming to stay small, if that kind of thing sounds like fun.

• cr491
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple,

I have two Impatiens, the one pictured (with pink flowers) and another with red flowers (pics are coming as soon as the buds open). The one with red flowers has a thicker stem and is starting to get the woody appearance you mentioned.

They both put out new stems like clockwork, often pushing older leaves out of place.

I did give them a thorough trim this winter (not the best timing...oops) down to about one stem on each. Since the cuttings take so easily (I gave the extras to my grandmother), I should have no shortage of impatiens!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That's very cool!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz