Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Gardenia Not Flowering

Posted by ThatAdeniumGuy none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 20:06

I got mine from Logees @ 2.5" pot several months ago and it hasn't produced a single flower. I have it potted in a 4" pot right now and it has been full of flower buds since day one. They just stand their and don't ever open up. This isn't bud blast since the buds don't drop off, they just never open. I have it in sandy cactus soil, I water frequently with fertilizer and I have it next to a Southern window. It hasn't grown any leaves either. It's been motionless since purchase. Frozen in time. What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Gardenia Not Flowering

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 13:50

I don't pretend to know the answer for sure, but I know that endogenous [The plant's natural rhythms. Search endogenous and/or circadian] factors exert a considerable amount of control over the growth of many plants. With the onset of short days (after the summer solstice) a large fraction of plants stop extending and change their growth habit from multiplicative (increasing the number of leaves and branches) to additive, during which they grow axially, or get fatter. Many tropical trees (but not limited to only tropicals) exhibit episodic growth, during which they grow in spurts, and then 'rest' awhile before the onset of the next growth episode.

If it's not related to genetics or day length, it's cultural. Since root growth always precedes top growth, if your top isn't growing you should be thinking about the roots. Actually, you should be thinking more about the roots anyway, because the top ain't gonna be able to do much w/o root support. What might you have going on in the root zone that inhibits root function? Compaction? Root congestion? Over-watering/excessive water retention? Inappropriate nutritional supplementation? How about the light the plant is getting?

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here