Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Light?

Posted by windycitysmile (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 20:13

So I have a remarkable brown thumb in that I can easily kill a wide variety of houseplants though i love to grow them. I've already done in one aloe plant and am working on a second (the only person i know that consistently kill succulents) among others. I work for a garden center right now and the pineapple plants will soon be going on sale. I want one so badly but I don't want to pay for one and kill it off in a few months. I know one of my problems is that both of my last two apartments have been garden level and facing in a bad direction for sunlight. I've been trying to do some preliminary research on grow lights to supplement my future pineapple but I can't seem to find anything definitive. Does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively portable grow light for a fairly decent sized pineapple plant? Any assistance would be much appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow Light?

Pineapples die back after fruiting anyway so you might want to avoid that if you want something that won't die shortly after you get it.

Anyway odds are your problem is overwatering, given that you consistently kill succulents, and not light, because that'll just make succulents sort of stretched out/floppy/pale.

(If you really want a pineapple plant you're better off just starting one by rooting the leafy part on top of a store bought fruit, although this is a bit of a process if you want to be successful, although it's not really hard. I'd recommend looking around online for some tips. Basically though, you don't want *any* fruit around the part you're trying to root, or the fruit'll rot and kill your new plant. Second, rooting hormone helps a lot in this case).

o
RE2: Grow Light?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but aloes are apparently winter growers (although I'm not sure if this is some hard-and-fast rule or what) so watering them a lot in the dead of summer is apparently not really a great idea.

Additionally if your problem is overwatering, you might also be using an overly heavy soil. Straight up bagged Miracle Gro potting mix is usually a bad choice because it's mostly peat, and peat doesn't really behave very well and it's something you probably only want if you have a plant that needs really acidic soil that doesn't dry out very quickly (some ferns seem to like that).

General advice would be to go for potting mixes that half a lot of bark and non-peat components and then mix in hefty quantities of perlite, although there's better, more specific advice if you look around the forum a bit.

Clay pots can also help a lot too, since they tend to dry out and breathe, but at the least do *not* use pots without drainage.

When you do water, make sure you water till water runs out said drainage holes because that tends to carry away a lot of the salt and other undesirable *stuff* that builds up in your potting medium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here