Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cj_speciosa

Dieffenbachia pod???

cj_speciosa
10 years ago

I noticed that there is a strange growth coming out of my diff. where another leaf would usually come from. Actually there are two of them. Is this a flower?

Comments (26)

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

again.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

You bet your sweet petunias!

OMG please take more pics over time and document this!

No idea if there's a possibility of seed but wow good growing! :)

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool. She is one of my favorites and I do shower her with attention. I guess she is loving me back.

I'll add to the thread as time goes on. Does anyone know if they have fragrance or not?

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From your reaction I'm guessing this doesn't happen alot?

• jansy1985
    10 years ago

wow - You've done a great job taking care of it! I just got a little one and looking forward to make it big and strong :)

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That one is small compared to the one in my bedroom......

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Not really sure.. Haven't done the research yet but surely there are images of them all over google(I'll have to check).

I'm terrible with these things lately. A chunk of it has disintegrated on me over time but that batch may just be bad or something,right?

meanwhile I'm working on this cutting

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Closer look...

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

It's an inflorescence, typical of aroids. There's a leaf-like sheath (spathe) surrounding a central column (spadix) which has tiny male and female flowers along it. If there is successful fertilisation then you'll end up with reddish/orange berries along the spadix.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Ahhhh but how to insure fertilization?

I've read a little about hand fertilizing aroids and it seemed a little complicated which doesn't help me in being less nervous about the task.

Any idea the likelihood of success without human interference?

I'm becoming more and more fascinated with growing aroids from seed now that I've pulled it off with aglaonemas...Diefs would be fun(once I get out of this rut with them).

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgive my ignorance.....is an aroid the same type of plant as a peace lilly?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Great flower! Yes PL is an Aroid.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Too soon for an update? =)

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Do you provide your plant with humidity?

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Aroids can be very slow to mature seeds. I had one (not a Dieff.) that took 2 years after the flower finished, but it did produce viable seed. So I wouldn't expect a rapid move by the Dieff.

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing new yet. Pretty much looks the same from a couple days ago. There is a rough bumpyness coming on in the white/yellow stripe down the pod, but nothing you can see in a pic yet.

Right now the house is at 60-70 humidity because of the season. During the winter I mist every other day, but thats about it.

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

CJ-Speciosa, what does the humidity drop to in your home during the winter?

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Goes down to about 40.

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far....

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more..

• cj_speciosa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So the pod opened up and stayed like that for only a day or so, then it closed back up? It seemed to be open for not that long at all? Any ideas?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Sounds like a typical Aroid bloom to me. Caladium and Aglaonema flowers do about the same thing.

Great pics!

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

A lot of aroids aren't self fertile.

• Kelly M
    3 years ago

My dieff got three buds, but all three turned brown, shriveled up, and died. Why? I thought I was taking good care of it? Any ideas for the next time it happens?

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm