Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dieffenbachia pod???

Posted by CJ-Speciosa none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 20:14

I noticed that there is a strange growth coming out of my diff. where another leaf would usually come from. Actually there are two of them. Is this a flower?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dieffenbachia pod???

Another angle

o

again.

o

You bet your sweet petunias!

OMG please take more pics over time and document this!

No idea if there's a possibility of seed but wow good growing! :)

o

Cool. She is one of my favorites and I do shower her with attention. I guess she is loving me back.

I'll add to the thread as time goes on. Does anyone know if they have fragrance or not?

o

From your reaction I'm guessing this doesn't happen alot?

o

wow - You've done a great job taking care of it! I just got a little one and looking forward to make it big and strong :)

o

That one is small compared to the one in my bedroom......

o

Not really sure.. Haven't done the research yet but surely there are images of them all over google(I'll have to check).

I'm terrible with these things lately. A chunk of it has disintegrated on me over time but that batch may just be bad or something,right?

meanwhile I'm working on this cutting

o

Closer look...

o

It's an inflorescence, typical of aroids. There's a leaf-like sheath (spathe) surrounding a central column (spadix) which has tiny male and female flowers along it. If there is successful fertilisation then you'll end up with reddish/orange berries along the spadix.

o

Ahhhh but how to insure fertilization?

I've read a little about hand fertilizing aroids and it seemed a little complicated which doesn't help me in being less nervous about the task.

Any idea the likelihood of success without human interference?

I'm becoming more and more fascinated with growing aroids from seed now that I've pulled it off with aglaonemas...Diefs would be fun(once I get out of this rut with them).

o

Forgive my ignorance.....is an aroid the same type of plant as a peace lilly?

o

Great flower! Yes PL is an Aroid.

o

Too soon for an update? =)

o

Do you provide your plant with humidity?

o

Aroids can be very slow to mature seeds. I had one (not a Dieff.) that took 2 years after the flower finished, but it did produce viable seed. So I wouldn't expect a rapid move by the Dieff.

o

Nothing new yet. Pretty much looks the same from a couple days ago. There is a rough bumpyness coming on in the white/yellow stripe down the pod, but nothing you can see in a pic yet.

Right now the house is at 60-70 humidity because of the season. During the winter I mist every other day, but thats about it.

o

CJ-Speciosa, what does the humidity drop to in your home during the winter?

o

Goes down to about 40.

o

So far....

o

more..

o

So the pod opened up and stayed like that for only a day or so, then it closed back up? It seemed to be open for not that long at all? Any ideas?

o

Sounds like a typical Aroid bloom to me. Caladium and Aglaonema flowers do about the same thing.

Great pics!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here