Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

Homalomena journal

This is my teensy weensy emerald gem...a division from a plant I recently purchased. It is an inch tall tops and had like a quarter inch nub of a root but I'm confident this will do.

Will try to update as things progress.
Let's hope things go well for the little thing. :)

By the by,..forgive the smudgy glass. The terrarium it's in could use a little polishing but for now you get the idea.

Comments (26)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a overhead view with a xanadu cutting in the foreground. Gives it a sense of scale...or maybe not.

Open to comments/questions unless nobody has any,in which case,as mentioned previously,ideally I'll be back with progress reports.

Thanks for watching! :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update.
    It threw a leaf but is just hatching a replacement.

This is progress in my opinion. :)

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 1:20

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I've started new Homas from cuttings, and it seems to work. I say this because I have given away the plants I start, and I don't know how they did in the long term. I have one that is a year old, and it is doing well. They are touchy plants, at least for me, and getting a leaf and then losing one is pretty common. But if it is growing it is a good sign, I'd agree. Good luck!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Aseed!
    Forgive me if I'm a bit confused here...when you say "cuttings",do you mean divisions taken root and all from the host plant or is there a way(unbeknownst to me)to take an actual cutting of this stuff without roots and get new roots to grow? If so,..that would be wild! :)

Update on homalomena progress...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

slightly different angle...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doublepost.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 12:12

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Hi Asleep. You're so funny. "Open to comments/questions unless nobody has any." lol

How have you been?

Are your divisions/babies growing in an aquarium? I can't really see.

For example. In pic two, Xanadu, looks like it's in a metal tub. lol.

Are babies potted, then placed in an aqurium, or directly in soil..w/o containers?

I too wondered what Aseed meant about cuttings from Homalomena.
    It's been years since I've had Emerald Gem, but I recall the way it was shaped..I didn't think cuttings were possible. Divisions, yes, but not cuttings.

Your babies are doing great. Very healthy.

Does the tank/tub have a top with light bulb?

I have a 10-gallon aquarium odds-ends and seeds go. Some plants do okay, others don't.
    It had a hood with light at one time, but I removed it. Don't ask the reason because I have no idea why I took it off. :)

Long ago, I placed a Wax Begonia in the tank. Back when it still had hood and light.
    I assumed Wax Begonias grew 8-10" tall, but this guy topped 5'. It managed to creep out back of the hood. 'I didn't use the plastic piece that goes on back when a terrarium is actually an aquarium. Tank sat low to the floor, on a shelf in a north window. That Begonia bloomed non-stop, for years.
    Eventually, I got bored moving the entire sha-bang to clean..very heavy to move. Begonia was in dirt w/o a pot.

Are you doing this for fun? A new hobby? :) Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mornin' Toni!

I've been okay I suppose,a little busy lately but that's alright...hope you're doing well! :)

I see where you get the "metal tub" idea from. That's actually a glass container that's about 8 inches diameter and nearly a foot tall. Both the xanadu cutting and the homalomena division were planted directly in the soil but later they were both transplanted then returned to terrariums(xanadu needed to go to a bigger one at this point). the homalomena was potted into a little cell that I'd cut out of a sixpack planter from a nursery. the xanadu needed to a four inch pot since it had been in there a while before the star of this thread was admitted for root making duty.
    I have various lamps around the terrariums and glassware that gives a bit of extra oomph to the west facing window that the whole setup is in,and all containers are capped to trap maximum humidity.

Love the wax begonia story,..had no idea they would get THAT big but somehow I'm not surprised to hear it and now you've got me thinking that I need to get my hands on some to experiment with,after all...five foot wax beggies must be a sight!

Not a new hobby but in fact an old one of mine...been doing this for years and years. To me it is too easy to just go buy a plant,when you can create great big monstrous things from just a tiny piece if you have the patience...which it would seem that in this case...I do.

Here's a look at my terraria set up. I just love it!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The new leaf is unwrapping itself.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noticing a little anomaly on the edge of the new leaf,but I'm sure this too shall pass,right?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fourth leaf on the way!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I've been watching this, what a cute little plant! The little plant that could...

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Asleep. I can't believe how fast your Homalomena is growing.
    I only had one, and it was a stand-still until it kicked the bucket.

You have a very sophisticated setup. WOW! I like.

Speaking of anomalies, I believe the Wax Begonia was an anomaly. If I had more space, 'but don't,' I'd give it another try.

How long does it take Homas to bloom?

BTW, sorry it took so long to reply..Internet problems.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again!
    Appreciate the encouragement Purp,..you'll be pleased to know that the little plant that could has been chugging along while I had internet problems of my own. It is now proudly sporting two new leaves(yep...we're up to six now!),the last of them being the biggest yet and has a bit more of the adult shape to it.

Toni,..my guess is that it's going quicker now while it's a tiny thing and when it's closer to mature size it will slow down. The mature plant that I took this once super-tiny division from was in bloom when I'd bought it so how long it takes to bloom is a mystery to me.

Regrettably,..said mature plant suffered the unfortunate result of my overlooking it for a bit too long here lately and started looking shabbier. After cleaning off the dead stuff I looked at what was left and thought about my success thus far with a far more meager sliver. Before I really knew what I was doing I proceeded to snap it all to pieces,designating each to it's own little recycled yogurt container. The biggest piece is what was the central core of the plant,complete with roots. For all I know that part may even be capable of flowering again this summer,but I won't hold my breath,yaknow?

Naturally none of this will distract me from the star of the show...the little plant that could.

The exercise is one in making something from next to nothing. There is a great sense of accomplishment in it(to me anyway).

Edited for pic

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 21:40

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dug out the webcam and I can't say that it's capabilities are all that impressive.

Anyhoo,..it's documentation of sorts.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer.

9 years ago

That looks good! Enjoyed seeing it.

You know, I haven't seen one of these for sale. Wonder why they're not around lately?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Having split up the mother plant into smaller plants,I was planning on sending you one(so much for the surprise,huh?).

9 years ago

Well I'm no elephant for sure, maybe I'll have forgotten and be surprised anyway! LOL, TY!!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He's all yours Purp! ;)

9 years ago

It worked! I didn't know what it was, or remember this, surprise accomplished. TY so much, that's not something I've seen in stores!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know what you mean about it not being around in stores so much down south...back when I was in your neck of the woods I didn't see it around either.

Glad the surprise worked.
    Now if only I could say that the time it took to finally get around to sending it was motivated by such intentions. lol

Sorry it took so long! :)

9 years ago

No need to apologize at all. Any time is a great time to get some plants! TY again!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Was my absolute pleasure Purp! :)

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design