Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Forgot that I watered

CactusBoss
10 years ago

Earlier today I watered my Pothos. I proceeded to water it again about 5 hours later forgetting that I watered it before. I realized this and stopped. Will it be okay

Comments (12)

• cr491
    10 years ago

Does it have a saucer catching the water that drains out of the pot? If so, empty it and let the plant dry out before the next watering. Pothos is pretty resilient, so you should be able to get away with it this time.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

No more plants for you until you master the ones that you have, lol. Your houseplant allowance has been cut off, young man.

I know for a FACT that you've been informed about the importance of a porous, 'chunky ' potting soil. With such a medium, you wouldn't even need to ask this question. It sure would make your life easier.

You seem to have a sincere interest in growing plants; I think it's great! But many people start out thinking that QUANTITY trumps QUALITY and then get discouraged when they realize that they have failed to master the techniques of good care.

It's very common for a plant grower to become overwhelmed.....unless able to remain focused and attentive. That's happened to many of us.

Anyway, my real intent of my post is to remind you of the supreme importance of a good, fast draining, porous potting medium.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Dont feel bad, we all make mistakes, I've had plants for over 40 years and I've done the same thing, as long as you have the drainage holes in the pots & saucer like cr491 said your pothos will be fine, I have some pothos growing in plain water for years and they are doing great.
    Christine

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well yesterday I checked the soil shortly after the second watering and I found a bit of root rot again. However, this time I don't think it's my fault cause when I watered it the first time yesterday the soil was bone dry. and since I checked it like a half hour after I watered the second time I don't think It could have rotted that fast. The soil isn't the problem cause it's in the nurseries Metromix 360 soil. In fact I haven't even re potted it since I bought the plant a week ago. I only watered the plant for the first time yesterday so it makes me think someone at the nursery over watered it. It looked healthy when I bought it, however, it did have one or two yellow leaves that I didn't think much of.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Your enthusiasm is awesome!! Watering plants is good, you should be able to do it without worrying (although 5 hours is just silly.) Try to remember to pick plants up before watering, then again after, so you can feel the difference. If it's still heavy, it's not thirsty. With a really big plant and/or heavy pot, tilting works about as well, to gauge the weight. After only 5 hours, I'd be surprised if you didn't see some moisture in the drip saucer still, that would have reminded you too.

Do you have any plastic pots? Not sure I've seen anything but pretty glazed pottery in your pics, but let's not trust my memory about such things. Anyway, if you have one, they perform similarly to glazed pottery or any other non-porous material. An interesting learning experiment would be to make a hole in the bottom of one big enough for your finger. When you think the plant is thirsty, feel the soil at the bottom. I think you'll be shocked at how long you end up waiting to feel dryness, and how light it feels when the plant really has become thirsty. It's still possible to water something to death in the 'best' soil, but you won't... you'd first be constantly cleaning up a puddle, a great deterrent even for plants on drip saucers that get watered in place.

This plant has been hanging in this tree since April, getting rained on almost every day for the past 2+ months, sometimes several times per day. The bottom of the pot is a grid of slits, and the soil is very chunky, so the water flows through the pot as fast as it can fall from the sky, and as soon as it stops, the air spaces between the soil particles are air again, not water. It's probably a bit chlorotic, but definitely not rotting. Cacti/succulents aside, worrying about overwatering is not something I do anymore. One of these explanations will hopefully make something click for you, if you are actually reading them? The links you've been offered?

(Edited to remove ad attached to my words, post-submission, looked like spam, don't want to break the rules.)

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 11:53

• monet_g
    10 years ago

"The soil isn't the problem cause it's in the nurseries Metromix 360 soil." Be careful that you don't get too secure by the fact that it's in the nursery's soil. Their soil is probably chosen for their controlled environment/treatment (or visa versa). The intent is that the plant will not be in their possession for long, so they don't have the long term picture in mind. It's just not in their interest. And... it's not the end of the their world if a plant dies. Just sayin'.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Yes I too kinda winced when I read "nursery soil". Most plants don't live long term in the nursery soil. It is not fast draining. (at least nothing I've ever bought has been). They Don't put money into a plants soil like a long term grower would. They want it to be as cheap for them as possible to keep it alive till its sold. Bottom line.

10 years ago

Please explain, Cactusboy, exactly what you mean when you say that you 'have found a bit of root rot ".

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rhizo_1, I mean like the beginning of root rot.

10 years ago

What I'm asking is how you know....do you unpot the plant and know how to identify root rot?

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had a gut instinct to check the roots and I found a couple grown mushy roots.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to resort to growing in water. Do I have to cut off the existing roots or can I leave them on? Some have a few existing roots on them.