Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Pothos root from a single leaf?

Posted by CactusBoss Zone 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 20:30

That Is the question cause a few single leaves from my plant fell off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Pothos root from a single leaf?

No. You need to have a tiny bit of healthy stem tissue for new shoots and roots to develop. If leaves have fallen on their own, an abscission layer has formed at the petiole. Basically, the plant body had said to the leaf, "You're dead to me! " :-)

Pothos generate new roots and shoots at the nodes.

o

what rhizo said, you need some stem. but I have taken a long vine of leaves and cut into all one leaf segments with a little piece of stem (there will be a root corresponding to each leaf) and rooted that way. just throw in water

o

I have recently cut some tips of both golden and neon pothos. mostly to encourage branching of existing plants, but I don't really throw anything away. think I will put the two together.

o

new tips

o

So these won't work?

o

Nope.

o

what works better rooting in water or soil? I want to add more to the small plant I just bought. would I be able to plant the cuttings with that plant. Here's the plant. I'm gonna take a decent cutting from my mom's plant.

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 1:51

o

As the others have said, only from the nodes. Even the internodal stems on their own will wither and rot. They're a bit different to Hoya, where the leaves will keep living, produce roots and look great, but never produce a plant/vine.

o

Does this help you understand what it can do?

Nice new tips, Sradleye!

o

in my experience its faster and more consistent to root in water, but I have just stuck in soil as well.

o

I prefer water rooting these type of plants but either will do. Purp's method of rooting a whole section of vine works well too.

o

Roots that develop in water will be physiologically different than those in a solid medium. The water roots must be able to access dissolved oxygen from the water. Soil roots have evolved to access water from a solid medium.

If you root something in water, it will have to reinvent that root system all over again once it's planted.

It's really better for a plant to be able to root in one step and not two. Soil rooting is very easy once you've learned a very few little tricks.

Cactus, do you know what a leaf petiole is? It occurred to me that you might be confusing the petiole (which is part of the leaf) with a stem.

o

rhizo_1, Now i know. And would I be able to stick the NEW proper cutting into the same container as the smaller pothos pictured above?

o

Yes you can start the new cuttings in the original pot.

o

Dipped it into some rooting hormone and put it back in the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here