Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to ID this plant - is it a Chinese evergreen?

Posted by summersunshine (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 20:41

I didn't take this photo, but I found a photo that looks just like the plant I just bought:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayjayc/309328840/in/faves-hankeat01/

Unfortunately there is no clear consensus on what it is at that link either!

Does anyone know if this is some sort of purple stemmed Chinese evergreen or is it something totally different as some of the comments on there indicate?

The one I bought was labelled a Chinese evergreen, but I know those aren't always true. Has anyone encountered a Chinese evergreen cultivar with purple/maroon stalks like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to ID this plant - is it a Chinese evergreen?

o

I doubt this is Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen); just doesn't looks like it, nor have I ever seen a purple one.

I would have guess an exotic Philodendron, but I believe these folks suggesting Hemalomena maybe on to something.

Could you perhaps post a pix of the plant YOU got?

o

Summer, I second posting a pic of your plant. The plant in the picture is amazing, but it looks like a print or doctored. Something isn't right about that photo.

Is your plant identical to the one in the picture?? Color, shape, etc.

It looks like a combo of Philodendron, Dieffenbachia or Aglaonema. Toni

o

I don't have a camera but I may try to find a way to get a pic if that will make a difference.
There are several other photos of the same plant on this website if you think that will help:
Look at Plant Number 3 near the bottom

I found this plant at Home Depot, so I would not expect this to be a rare plant, yet so far that one website is the only place I have found that seems to be talking about the plant. Perhaps this is a plant that is just starting to be introduced to the houseplant market?

o

Summer, on occassion, HD has rare plants...Not often, but once in a while.

The pictures posted from your link are Aglaonemas/Chinese Evergreens. If your plant resembles the photo, then most likely you have a CE.

Do you have the pot your plant came in? If so, Google the long code number. The item name should pop up. Toni

o

Thanks for hte input. I found a website listing commercially produced cultivars of Aglaonema and didn't see one that looked like this, so that was what I found puzzling. It's like nobody has ever heard or seen this plant before except that one other person who posted the photos.
When I look at the leaves on this one and compare them to the Emerald Beauty Aglaonema I have, they do have a very similar shape, although the NOID plant's leaves are bigger and have thicker substance to them.
The main reason I want to know what it is, is just so I can know for sure how to care for it. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here