Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A new one on me................

Posted by elkay 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 20:42

I guess this plant is really not that unusual, but I've never seen it before. Mikado plant - aka Syngonanthus chrysanthus. I hope I can keep it alive over the winter since it seems to require the right amount of humidity.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A new one on me................

Yeah I agree, thats a pretty cool house plant. Can you tell me more about it?

o

a brief search turned up various info.

consider this:
"Because of its origin as a swamp plant, humidity should be kept high, at around 70% if possible."

The above excerpted from
http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/garden/nature_200_140.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: info

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 22:26

You prolly already know it's not an easy plant indoors because of its need for high humidity levels. You'd prolly be well served to try it in a terrarium jar or a fish tank you can cover to keep the humidity up - maybe with a twin bulb 24" fluorescent fixture above it. It won't tolerate high carbonate/bi-carbonate levels in either the irrigation water or in the soil FROM irrigation water, so watering with melted snow, rain water, or water from the dehumidifier would be best. Treating your irrigation water with an acid like vinegar or citric acid to reduce pH into the 4.5 - 5.0 range would also be helpful, if you're really serious about carrying the plant until spring. Good luck!

Al

o

Hi what a cool plant...I never have seen this one either..
I agree maybe a terrarium, a tall one, that would be so cool looking...good luck and keep us posted as to how you are doing with this cool plant...linda

o

I think that's actually a species of eriocaulon. I have various species of syngonanthus and eriocaulon in my aquariums. Erioscaulons are often confused with syngonanthus.

In any case, both syngonanthus and erios prefer very soft acidic water and bright lighting. Irrigation water should have very low/no carbonates. Rain water is definitely your best choice if you don't have a reverse osmosis unit.

o

I believe this to be Syngonanthus chrysanthus. It's in the same family as the Eriocaulon, but there are some distinct differences.

o

Elkay, since I've never heard of your plant or its family, I don't have anything to contribute, as far as care.

Your plant is really nice and quite unusual. Looks more garden flower than house plant.
It's flowers look like Strawflowers. Do they feel like a Strawflower?

Where did you find this beauty? Toni

o

Thanks all for the info. I have a tall glass vase and a grow light.....I wonder if that will do? I also have a vinyl covered portable greenhouse that I thought I would bring inside for the winter. I guess the vase would be better.

Toni - not sure what a straw flower feels like. I got this in a Shop Rite grocery store!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here