Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curly is home!

Posted by Enterotoxigenic00 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 21:07

Yes! Today I received the curly spider I ordered. It is healthy looking and was given a welcoming shower.

But...this morning at Ralphs market I found an amazingly beautiful hawaiian spider with babies/pups!!! Yow wee, it also was given the traditional welcoming shower. Both were examined with my good eyes aka reading glasses. So for now they will be secluded away from the rest of the kids.
The spider plants that I mentioned in my thank you note were the 'babies' I cut from mother plants and potted up.
The multiplication plant factor took over...you know, the more is better (sometimes). While they all summer outside room in not a problem, come winter I need to find homes or more shelving in the house. The solid green seem to be the best and fastest growers. A start was given to me by a neighbor about 12 yrs. ago and have taken over. There are also the white borders with green center and the green borders with white centers, I also found one at HD that has very short leaves (5-6"), a darker shade of green and very thin outer white borders. Of course only the 'spider' is on the label.

I was wondering if anyone has seen or know the name of a plant that looks alittle like a creeping charlie but the leaves are softer and velvety. When brushed the plant gives off a camphor/eucalyptus smell. It was given to me several years ago by a patient. Cuttings have been taken and are growing nicely. (I am not so computer literate so it is taking me some time to take pics then get them on the computer and here). If I knew how to do this easily I would post the handcrafted wood wheelbarrow for the front yard made for my birthday by our son. I have placed a large green spider in it and have taken pics.

I am now looking for a purple passion plant, I'm a bit hesitant though, the last few times I've had them they ended up with tiny inch worms. Has anyone else had this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curly is home!

Congrats on your new plants! I have the same issue every winter, where the heck are these plants going to go? Your mystery plant sounds like a Plectranthus, there are many.

Those purple passion plants ARE SO PRETTY! Haven't tried in a long time, but I've killed a few. Whenever I find a caterpillar, I try to figure out what it's going to morph into, to decide if it's a "good guy" or a "bad guy." On something as unusual as Gynura, there would probably be an alternative plant you could move the cats to if you decide they're going to be a pretty butterfly and not just a moth, or something worse.

Feel free to email me if you'd like any help with showing pics. I'd be happy to guide you through it.

o
RE: Curly is home!

Hello Enterotox.

Sounds like you've caught the plant bug. :)

The plant that smells like camphor/eucalyptus is called, Plectranthus. In fact, common names are Camphor or Vick's Plant. When the leaves are rubbed, the scent on your fingers smell minty..

Is your Curly/Bonnie Spider variegated or green?

I have a Spider with short leaves, about 6", but leaf edges are green, inner white. Got it on Ebay. The seller didn't include a botanical name, either, only RARE Chlorophytum. LoL.

Did you post your photos on a picture website like Photo Bucket or Flickr?

Purple Passions are beautiful plants..The last time I bought a PP was about 10-yrs. It came with Mealy Bug. In the trash it went. I've never seen an inch worm in any plant soil. Yuck, bugs!

Good luck with your cuttings and new plants...Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here