Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calathea medallion

Posted by Mrs82397 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 21:09

Can anyone tell me if a Calathea medallion plant will grow up from its roots and if so what is the best way to get it to do so? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calathea medallion

Grows on it's own roots........ Best way is optional.

o

I don't understand the question, sorry.

o

I am sorry I should have been more clear with my question. My Calathea medallion has completely died back (lack of knowledge of the care needs of this plant at the time). Note small brownish thing in the middle of the pot is Calathea medallion. I am kind of sentimentally attached to it (it was one of the plants at my son's funeral). There were about four plants in the pot and I divided them up into four separate pots and gave 3 of them away. I didn't start it off in the best soil so I switched to regular miracle grow soil. Then I read they like African violet soil so I transplanted it into that about a week ago. I think the roots looked good but don't know for sure and I didn't notice any new little white roots on it like the first and maybe second time I replanted it. So back to my original question (after I've told you the life history of the plant). Will a Calathea medallion regrow from its roots or have I traumatized it too much? Thank you in advance for any replies or help anyone can give.

o

All the leaves on my calathea (looked very similar to medallion or maybe reseopicta) also died back a while ago - very soon after I bought it, in fact. The pot was just siting there till I noticed some tiny growth. I got all excited of course, but only two teeny-weeny little leaves came out, half-dry and all pathetic-looking. So eventually out into the garbage it went. You could say I killed it not once, but twice.

>> Can anyone tell me if a Calathea medallion plant will grow up from its roots

YES strictly speaking, sometimes it does, but that may still not mean anything good. I do hope very much your experience is better than mine. Please come back here to tell us what happens. It's a gorgeous plant, and I hope to get another now that I am more experienced and have a better growing environment.

o

Oh, so sorry, about your plant and your loss! Do you think it was overwhelmed by moistness? If so, letting it dry out would be the best thing.

o

>> Do you think it was overwhelmed by moistness?

If you are talking to me and not the OP, then yeah, quite possibly. I tend to over-water my plants, and this was before I learned about potting mixes.

Lack of humidity would be my other guess. It was March when I got it, humidity was still low here and I did not have a humidifier then.

This is how it looked when I bought it. Oh well - learning experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here