Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs82397

Calathea medallion

mrs82397
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me if a Calathea medallion plant will grow up from its roots and if so what is the best way to get it to do so? Thank you.

Comments (12)

• Pots_Alot
    10 years ago

Grows on it's own roots........ Best way is optional.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I don't understand the question, sorry.

• mrs82397
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry I should have been more clear with my question. My Calathea medallion has completely died back (lack of knowledge of the care needs of this plant at the time). Note small brownish thing in the middle of the pot is Calathea medallion. I am kind of sentimentally attached to it (it was one of the plants at my son's funeral). There were about four plants in the pot and I divided them up into four separate pots and gave 3 of them away. I didn't start it off in the best soil so I switched to regular miracle grow soil. Then I read they like African violet soil so I transplanted it into that about a week ago. I think the roots looked good but don't know for sure and I didn't notice any new little white roots on it like the first and maybe second time I replanted it. So back to my original question (after I've told you the life history of the plant). Will a Calathea medallion regrow from its roots or have I traumatized it too much? Thank you in advance for any replies or help anyone can give.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

All the leaves on my calathea (looked very similar to medallion or maybe reseopicta) also died back a while ago - very soon after I bought it, in fact. The pot was just siting there till I noticed some tiny growth. I got all excited of course, but only two teeny-weeny little leaves came out, half-dry and all pathetic-looking. So eventually out into the garbage it went. You could say I killed it not once, but twice.

>> Can anyone tell me if a Calathea medallion plant will grow up from its roots

YES strictly speaking, sometimes it does, but that may still not mean anything good. I do hope very much your experience is better than mine. Please come back here to tell us what happens. It's a gorgeous plant, and I hope to get another now that I am more experienced and have a better growing environment.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Oh, so sorry, about your plant and your loss! Do you think it was overwhelmed by moistness? If so, letting it dry out would be the best thing.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

>> Do you think it was overwhelmed by moistness?

If you are talking to me and not the OP, then yeah, quite possibly. I tend to over-water my plants, and this was before I learned about potting mixes.

Lack of humidity would be my other guess. It was March when I got it, humidity was still low here and I did not have a humidifier then.

This is how it looked when I bought it. Oh well - learning experience.

• shannon4599
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about the lost of your son.

Yes, many plants can grow from leftover roots even after the parent stem and leaves have died or is damaged. Only a few plants like most palms can't do this. Calathea plants are what I like to call bunch plants. They produce side shoots from the mother plant roots. That's what your plant tried to do. If you would have probulary covered the plant with a plastic bag it might have come back but the process is long.

Your plant was killed by ......... your miracle grow potting soil!
    Calatheas are sensitive to fertilizer salts and the fertilizer burned and killed your plant!
    Calathea species and marantas(prayer plants) also don't like hard water water that has salts and calcium. The white crust on the pot is fertilizer salts and calcium in the water. You can use um steam boiled bottle water.
    Get some fertilizer that is like Root Tone doesn't burn plant or African Violet fertilizer. Holly Tone is a acid version of Root Tone. I used Root Tone on my houseplants and they are flourishing! It doesn't have salts in it.
    With the soil also it's best to buy fertilizer less potting soil and add your own fertilizer. Whenever you repot a plant do not fertilize it at all as the soil has food it already and same goes for new plants from store.

Calatheas also don't like cold drafts or cold feet. A draft is a sudden change in temperature like after a thunderstorm on a hot humid day. If you plant a houseplant in a plastic pot you can avoid cold feet. Also find a plastic or porcelain pot with a built in dish or lip. And get a plastic floor protector to set the plant on and every time you water let the water stay thou not above the pot dish level to help with humidity.

You can put a calathea in a nice sunless spot in a room or in a spot that is filtered by a white curtain. Let the soil surface dry out between waterings.The temperature of the room should be 60 degrees or above. Many garden books say mist the leaves but I find this makes plants rot.
    If you keep the plant cooler just leave it alone and hardly water at all. Cool and Dry or Hot and Moist.
    Like prayer plants calatheas also do a little dance at night and turn up their leaves somewhat at night or when in too much sun or too dry during the day.

• shannon4599
    9 years ago

Calatheas are sensitive to fertilizer salts and the fertilizer burned and killed your plant!
    Calathea species and marantas(prayer plants) also don't like hard water water that has salts and calcium. The white crust on the pot is fertilizer salts and calcium in the water. You can use um steam boiled bottle water.
    Get some fertilizer that is like Root Tone doesn't burn plant or African Violet fertilizer. Holly Tone is a acid version of Root Tone. I used Root Tone on my houseplants and they are flourishing! It doesn't have salts in it.
    With the soil also it's best to buy fertilizer less potting soil and add your own fertilizer. Whenever you repot a plant do not fertilize it at all as the soil has food it already and same goes for new plants from store. Wait at least a month after.

Calatheas also don't like cold drafts or cold feet. A draft is a sudden change in temperature like after a thunderstorm on a hot humid day. If you plant a houseplant in a plastic pot you can avoid cold feet. Also find a plastic or porcelain pot with a built in dish or lip. And get a plastic floor protector to set the plant on and every time you water let the water stay thou not above the pot dish level to help with humidity.

You can put a calathea in a nice sunless spot in a room or in a spot that is filtered by a white curtain. Let the soil surface dry out between waterings.The temperature of the room should be 60 degrees or above. Many garden books say mist the leaves but I find this makes plants rot.
    If you keep the plant cooler just leave it alone and hardly water at all. Cool and Dry or Hot and Moist.
    Like prayer plants calatheas also do a little dance at night and turn up their leaves somewhat at night or when in too much sun or too dry during the day.

• shannon4599
    9 years ago

With the soil also it's best to buy fertilizer less potting soil and add your own fertilizer. Whenever you repot a plant do not fertilize it at all as the soil has food it already and same goes for new plants from store. Wait at least a month after.

• User
    8 years ago

Hello everyone... can someone please tell me, is Calathea medallion poisonous? I got different results while searching the web... I have a baby boy, so... I'm carefull. Thank you.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

I dont know if it is poisonous or not but put it out of reach of the child. Although i have never heard of kids eating plants.

• User
    8 years ago

Thank you for your prompt reply, tibean... I will sure keep the plant out of kid's reach, the more reason because the plant is huge :) I was just affraid that Calathea is poisonous like diefenbachia, for example, which I've heard to be dangerous even just to touch and then transfer the poison to your mouth (please be free to correct me on that :) ) I don't know much about plants, I just got Calathea for my birthday, and when I read what you all said here... hehe, my husband said - I should have bought you earrings!

Thanks again to you all! Greetings from Croatia! :)