Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Bush(spekboom, Portulacaria afra) Leggy growth

Posted by smishgibson none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 21:12

Hello everyone!

I have a wonderful little Elephant bush that has put up with a lot from me. I bought it quite destressed from lowes. Its my first time with house plants, so I almost killed it putting it in a dark room, with a small south facing window obscured by trees and not watering it for 3 week! I took the "low light, low water" tag serious. I have learned a lot since then. Played around with light and water until i got the leaf drop to stop. Then the leaves all grew back and it started exploding with growth. The pot just wasn't draining well thought so I reported it in a mix of loose potting soil and perlite. Put a bunch of rocks in the bottom of the pot to get better drainage too.

Now its really really growing. I am concerned though, because i feel its becoming leggy, and may need more light. I have it in a WNW window. In the apartment, its the best there is. It gets bright indirect from 8 am until about 2pm. then from 2pm until 8 or 9 it gets direct light.

If it does need more light to grow bushier, could i prune it to improve its shape since i don't have a window with better light?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Bush(spekboom, Portulacaria afra) Leggy growth

It is growing wonderfully.
Pinch off the new growth to keep it compact....but this is the plant's habit, and you will need to "tame" it several times throughout the growing season. Don't forget to fertilize periodically.

Josh

o

Thanks Jose.

I didn't realize this was its typical habit. I have some some varieties that look more suited for a hanging basket, growing more out, and down, instead of up. Maybe its not that they are getting more sun, but just that they are a slightly different cultivator.

I will try pruning back and see how it goes.

o

This is the standard habit of the green Port. afra.
There are other variegates, cultivars, that have a more mounding or trailing habit. In many cases, though, it is lower light that leads to droopy growth.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here