Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlightbotanist

Elephant Bush(spekboom, Portulacaria afra) Leggy growth

Starlight Botanist
10 years ago

Hello everyone!

I have a wonderful little Elephant bush that has put up with a lot from me. I bought it quite destressed from lowes. Its my first time with house plants, so I almost killed it putting it in a dark room, with a small south facing window obscured by trees and not watering it for 3 week! I took the "low light, low water" tag serious. I have learned a lot since then. Played around with light and water until i got the leaf drop to stop. Then the leaves all grew back and it started exploding with growth. The pot just wasn't draining well thought so I reported it in a mix of loose potting soil and perlite. Put a bunch of rocks in the bottom of the pot to get better drainage too.

Now its really really growing. I am concerned though, because i feel its becoming leggy, and may need more light. I have it in a WNW window. In the apartment, its the best there is. It gets bright indirect from 8 am until about 2pm. then from 2pm until 8 or 9 it gets direct light.

If it does need more light to grow bushier, could i prune it to improve its shape since i don't have a window with better light?

Thanks!

Comments (6)