Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Spider needed a trimming

Posted by Aaron_and_Lais 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 21:16

Lais went to HEB last night and ended up getting a coupon for $5.00 off any live plant. What a score because I ended up with it. Today while I was there I saw this spider plant (no before pictures taken) but it had 4 plants in 1 pot.

The plant had wrappers in it, dead leaves, roots are all exposed because it barely has any soil...it was a mess..it was also on sale for about 10.00. The little bit of soil that is in there was absolutely soaked and they had it in direct sun.

This is the after picture (post haircut). I still need to put it in a new pot with nice fresh soil but hopefully its on the way to recovery and becoming a healthy plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Spider needed a trimming

This is the pile of mess I cleaned out..

o

Aren't spider plants just exiting?

o

Nice looking plant. There might be a viable baby in the middle of that pic.

That looks like the kind of hanging pot with a recessed drain hole about 1/2 inch above the bottom surface of the pot. That allows 1/2 inch of water to stand in the bottom of the pot. Just once can cause a problem, but if that happens repeatedly, the foliage will be quite visibly affected by the rotting roots. The only way to kill a spider plant, AFAIK, is to water it too much, or never water it all (in which case it may be able to finally be pronounced dead in about a year.)

Whenever you repot, you'll find a bunch of giant white 'carrots' in the pot, these things make HUGE roots. When they run out of room to grow, the foliage will suffer. They are sensitive to tap water chemicals, If you have an alternative, this plant would appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here