Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Walmart rescue

CactusBoss
10 years ago

I can't believe I bought 2 plants within two days! that's a record for me lol. Anyway I rescued this small Pothos plant from Walmart for $2.75. What kind of Pothos is it and how fast will it grow? Btw I re potted it into a potting soil amended with cactus soil and perlite.

Comments (11)

• sradleye
    10 years ago

looks like golden pothos, grows like a weed

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why do you see weekly growth lol

• sradleye
    10 years ago

never really put a stop watch to it. I started with a cutting of two leaves about two years ago. I now have three pots in the house and have given many away. also the coloring will vary quite a bit depending on how much light it gets.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

That looks exactly like mine did only a year ago. Now it has grown into a monster that I have already made another plant from. Mine is way up on a shelf near the ceiling and it has a vine hanging down that comes within less than 2 feet of the floor.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of the leaves is a little folded. Is that a problem? The leaf looks healthy otherwise.

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 4:20

• tamela_star
    10 years ago

It looks healthy to me! I have one in my bathroom! It loves the humidity from the showers. I keep it trimmed short and give away cuttings to friends.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more thing. Should I water the plant because I removed like 98% of the wet Walmart soil and potted it into a nice dry soil mix?

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

I once had one that measured 9 meters when I took it down because we were moving.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Being a bit pedantic, when you say, "What kind of Pothos is it"s not a Pothos but an Epipremnum. Pothos is a different genus of plants with about 50 species. Grows naturally in the same geographical area as Epipremnum, and in similar environment. But you're unlikely to find any in cultivation, let alone for sale.

This is the only species I have a photo of, Pothos longipes. They grow up over tree trunks and from a distance look like ferns.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Tropic, hope you know I think you're one (of many) of the greatest, most liked/respected people on the forum.

You're right. The plant CB has is Epipremnum.

However, whenever an Epipremnum is sold in a store, it's marked Pothos.
    Plant books list the plant as Pothos, 'usually' with its name Epipremnum underneath.
    Many here, including myself are guilty calling Epipremnum, Pothos.
    Shoppers ask an employee, 'Where are your Pothos?'

Last, Pothos is much easier typing. :)

Guess we have Pothos on the brain. lol

Toni

I recall your Pothos from another thread..It's a true beauty.
    Bet, it needs a lot of humidity..

Cactus Boss, Great deal! Your 'plant' is quite pretty. "_

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor, I knew it was Epipremnum I was just looking for the cultivar. and from what I read is that they aren't very particular about humidity which is probably one of the reasons why i think it grows so well in office buildings.