Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Lyrata Plant with black new growth

Posted by plantsforfun AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 21:47

I just bought a new Ficus Lyrata from the discount bin. The leaves are nice and green and when I potted it the roots seems to be okay but I'm not experienced in that department. But the strange thing is the new growth on the plant is black and dry (dead?). Otherwise, the plant looks healthy. Is something wrong with the plant?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Lyrata Plant with black new growth

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 22:26

Yes - something is wrong.

o
RE: Ficus Lyrata Plant w/black new growth

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 22:28

Can you provide more info - did you fertilize - what about your watering habits? It sounds like the plant is probably badly over-watered or over-fertilized - both? Have to go by the odds here, w/o more info.

Al

o

Sometimes that's the risk of the discount bin.

I'd take it back to the store, do they have any exchange or credit options?

Here I've heard from Home Depot they'll guarantee a plant for a year, one can exchange or get credited the price.

o

Sounds like it might need transplanted with some new soil to me. Its probably root bound. If you can post a picture of it it will help us indentify the problem for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here